Clutch cable woes

VincodeY

Established Member
Have a Fiore quad and FW adjuster with the stock cable. Was driving yesterday when, all of a sudden, the pedel hits the floor and the car is impossible to shift. I get it home just to find that basically, its like the cable grew another 6 inches. I had to adjust the fw adjuster all the way out to make it at least shift, but it still had another inch or so. I checked down by the fork and at the pedel to no avail. Nothing looked amiss. Any ideas? Can they stretch that far and not break?

RedfireSVT

Established Member
no it shouldn't stretch that far. so it was working fine before this happened and if so for how long?

VincodeY

Established Member
yes. I actually ordered a stock cable from you guys. Was working and everything then it just went. I thought it broke at the nipple end on the quad, like its done twice before, but it didnt. Just as if it stretched out.

619Cobra04

Mystic Cobra
Established Member
Mine did the same thing. Check and see if the cable is hitting the firewall. Your washer stack up might be the culprit. Some have had the right stack up and this still happened. You would have to make the hole little bigger (just after the quadrant. Mine looked as if it stretched when it happened too. The cable is coiled and the firewall was slowly uncoiling it everytime I shifted.

VincodeY

Established Member
i looked. how is your washer stack up? If you are under the dash looking up, i have two washers on the left of the quad. I pushed the pedal with my hand felt the cable while it was tight and it didnt seem to be hitting anything on the hole in the firewall. I did have to trim back the insulation a little but it just doesnt seem as if that would cause this tough ass cable to break? I could see where it was rubbing by the black residue on the cable itself. I found a break in one of the coils up by the nipple, so its only time till it happens again.

VincodeY

Established Member
Im gonna order a new cable, kind of want to try the MM one. Anyone know if it works with my quad and adj?

coketo

Silver Snake!!!
Established Member
i had the same issue happened to me just a few days ago and i just readjust my firewall adjuster. I did it counter clock wise enough to have the clutch cable back to normal. It feels like my cable just got stretched since i drove from texas to cali :)

coposrv

Established Member
Vincode; MM makes good stuff but with the clutch cables factory is the way to go IMO.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Sounds like you have an aftermarket cable. Those are no good because they stretch. Well, you already know that.

ONLY buy FORD cable. DO NOT SUBSTITUTE.

FWIW

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

VincodeY

Established Member
Yea, it was the OEM cable. Second one. Now I guess I'll get another one. Hoping trimming back the insulation will help. This morning, the cable was stretched so far that the car isnt driveable. lol

VincodeY

Established Member
update: Got a new steeda cable because the place didnt have an OEM in stock. Figured it would last me at least a week til I could get ahold of one. Nope...it popped going down the road. What a POS. Where the plastic base is that goes into the FW, it slid down the sheathing, rendering the cable useless. Just an FYI to everyone, go FORD or don't bother, lol.

mustangmatt86

Established Member
Mine did that same thing, put a new cable in and nothing still, i ended breaking the fingers on the pressure plate

Users who are viewing this thread