Clutch cable issue

10thSVT_03

Doin it!
Established Member
I just broke my 3rd clutch cable. Upr quadrant and firewall adjuster. Breaks in a different spot each time. I'm at a loss. Any ideas?

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
Where is it breaking?

If it's breaking under the dash, then your quadrant might not be centered. I use 1/2" washers on each side shimmed so the cable comes straight into the quadrant channel.

Also, the inner edges of your quadrant might be sharp. I used a buffer so soften the edges.

If it's breaking elsewhere, it could be binding if not routed correctly.

How long does it take to break?

10thSVT_03

Doin it!
Established Member
Has broken twice under the dash and once under the hood. Looks like something is rubbing it to cause it to fray than snap

619Cobra04

Mystic Cobra
Established Member
Where is it breaking?

If it's breaking under the dash, then your quadrant might not be centered. I use 1/2" washers on each side shimmed so the cable comes straight into the quadrant channel.

Also, the inner edges of your quadrant might be sharp. I used a buffer so soften the edges.

If it's breaking elsewhere, it could be binding if not routed correctly.

How long does it take to break?

This! The quadrant looks to be setup wrong. Check the washer stack up. This shredded mine before

KingcobraCT427

Established Member
Get a hydraulic clutch conversion kit bro from McLeod racing. Then you wont have to worry about that cable anymore :)

10thSVT_03

Doin it!
Established Member
Found the culprit! Its a set screw in the quadrant that was not known of..lol Instead of removing the screw and installing the cable than putting the small screw back in the cable went over the screw. Everytime I was pushing the clutch it was sawing through the cables. I noticed it when I removed the quadrant to see if there was a burr or something rubbing the cable. Oh well lesson learned.

Users who are viewing this thread