Clutch Balancing in FL.

03' White Snake

Established Member
I am leaning toward that. I think, I am just going to install it and wish for the best. I am dying to try out the new magnum.

Same here. Going from a Spec 3+ To the RXT1200hd in my magnum. I also installed a new steel lightened flywheel and did not have it balanced. I did follow the install directions and torqued everything correctly.

My spec held the power great, was just an on/off switch so trying out the RXT this time. I almost put the old Spec back in, only had 3K miles on it.

shurur

Established Member
I sent my AL FW to McLeod to be resurfaced-rebuilt and balanced before I had the new Exedy clutch installed. The turn around was about one week.

Ramseys is in Lutz. He doesn't answer emails...

IllCobra

Established Member
Same here. Going from a Spec 3+ To the RXT1200hd in my magnum. I also installed a new steel lightened flywheel and did not have it balanced. I did follow the install directions and torqued everything correctly.

My spec held the power great, was just an on/off switch so trying out the RXT this time. I almost put the old Spec back in, only had 3K miles on it.
Yeah, I can't wait.
I do now kinda wish I would have tried out Spec's twin disk setup, but I think they were priced around $2k, which is more than double what I paid for the McLeod.

IllCobra

Established Member
I sent my AL FW to McLeod to be resurfaced-rebuilt and balanced before I had the new Exedy clutch installed. The turn around was about one week.

Ramseys is in Lutz. He doesn't answer emails...
Mind if I ask what you paid?

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
According to McLeod's instructions, they highly recommend it be balanced before install. I haven't heard of other clutches needing this but apparently McLeod does. If I would have know this, I would have gone with another clutch honestly

I find this thread very interesting. I have a 2010 Roush 'Hammer', making 625whp. Using Magnum XL with McLeod RXT twin-disc (installed by previous owner). At lower rpm's, the engine (4.6L 3-valve) is buttery smooth, but there is definitely a little bit of vibration starting at ~3,000rpm. I have always suspected the clutch assembly balance is the culprit.

I've had numerous balance issues with assorted engines. They can be tricky to get smooth. It seems to be mainly a problem with stick-shift cars, versus auto. I am assuming that any small out-of-balance condition in an auto-trans car would be self corrected by the fluid in the torque converter.

Please keep posting, especially after the install. Good luck with it.

Last edited:

IllCobra

Established Member
I find this thread very interesting. I have a 2010 Roush 'Hammer', making 625whp. Using Magnum XL with McLeod RXT twin-disc (installed by previous owner). At lower rpm's, the engine (4.6L 3-valve) is buttery smooth, but there is definitely a little bit of vibration starting at ~3,000rpm. I have always suspected the clutch assembly balance is the culprit.

I've had numerous balance issues with assorted engines. They can be tricky to get smooth. It seems to be mainly a problem with stick-shift cars, versus auto. I am assuming that any small out-of-balance condition in an auto-trans car would be self corrected by the fluid in the torque converter.

Please keep posting, especially after the install. Good luck with it.
I absolutely will.

03' White Snake

Established Member
Mind if I ask what you paid?

I had my stock flywheel rebuilt several times by McLeod, not sure if they balanced it or not, but I remember it being about $175 shipped both ways for them to remove and install a new friction disk. Not sure todays prices, last one I did was in 2017/2018.

shurur

Established Member
I actually got my clutch done at tire world in Tampa. I have the MM stuff and the adjustment is supposedly tricky. But it is one of those places where cars have to be locked up at night. I don't remember what I paid.

Now I take my cars to Big tires and More in Lutz. They are even more competent and fair. I send them my overflow work, as I generally fix my own stuff when I can.

Hell, TIm Moye in Lutz is also very good and cages their cars up.

Ramseys is just down the road from Big Tires in Lutz, and they are THE Mustang/Camaro shop in the Tampa area or maybe even Florida.

Any of those places in Lutz are good, but I just thought you would want a pro shop doing your work. Ramsey's cages their cars in as well.

Last edited:

IllCobra

Established Member
Well, I am a little more than half way through the break-in process and I can say this so far:
1) The T56 Magnum is a great upgrade from the normal T56. Smooth shifts and getting into reverse takes zero muscle. I can't wait I can actually do some WOT pulls.
2) The McLeod clutch is noisy.

Now, I do want to get it through the 500 mile break-in process before I give my final review, but so far I am a little disappointed in the clutch. I am hopping the noise and shatter goes away in the next 200 miles - my Spec 2+ clutch made noise too during break-in and then went away on its own. But it shudders in 1st gear during normal take off acceleration - it started to do this recently. And it makes a chattering noise - oddly enough mostly in 4th gear when I get off and back on the gas.

I followed the torque specs provided by McLeod. Keeping it under 3k rpm for break-in. New TOB and pilot bearing (both Ford) installed same time as clutch. And as I mentioned in my original post, I went with a new McLeod flywheel that I made sure did not get any grease or oil from the install process. Again the only thing I did not do was have the flywheel balanced.

I am will be gone until November, so I will have to finish the break-in then. I just hope things improve...

03' White Snake

Established Member
This is my first RXT1200 clutch and same thing. 4th gear low rpm (1500-2k) sounds like a box of rocks in the transmission. My Spec never made any noises like this. I have about 800 miles on mine now. I hope it clears up too.

03venomdsg

Established Member
I have the RXT and a built magnum. Unfortunately I've noticed as well when you lug it especially in 4th below 2k rpms you get the box of rocks sound. Annoying yes, but I know it's there and just drive around it. Aside from the noise the clutch grabs and operates smoothly for me, so it might just be the break in and the chatter will go away. I have about 6k miles on mine. I've also heard it's because the McLeod is unsprung and some other models like the dyad and maybe the spec are sprung?

IllCobra

Established Member
This is my first RXT1200 clutch and same thing. 4th gear low rpm (1500-2k) sounds like a box of rocks in the transmission. My Spec never made any noises like this. I have about 800 miles on mine now. I hope it clears up too.
Yup, between 1500 and 2000 on mine too in 4th. Sounds pretty crappy. As long as it gives me some good usage and handles the power I can live with the noise. If not, this will be my last McLeod clutch for sure.

IllCobra

Established Member
I have the RXT and a built magnum. Unfortunately I've noticed as well when you lug it especially in 4th below 2k rpms you get the box of rocks sound. Annoying yes, but I know it's there and just drive around it. Aside from the noise the clutch grabs and operates smoothly for me, so it might just be the break in and the chatter will go away. I have about 6k miles on mine. I've also heard it's because the McLeod is unsprung and some other models like the dyad and maybe the spec are sprung?
If it gives me some good miles and can handle the power for a while, I can deal with. If not, McLeod will be on my list of names not to buy from going forward along side Dorman haha. Sucks cause someone on here had a great deal on a Dyad twin disk brand new with flywheel.
Hopefully this clutch redeems itself and I'm back here giving McLeod an apology saying "besides the noise and break-in process, this is a great clutch". Time will tell.

IllCobra

Established Member
Another update:

Done with the break-in process. The noise that sounds like a can of rocks has died down some....or maybe I am getting accustomed to the noise. Either way, it's to a point where it no longer bothers me, but it's still there. What has me annoyed now is the shuddering getting out of first gear from a stop. I mentioned in an earlier post that it started doing this out of the blue, but it now shudders more aggressively. Feels like the shuddering the cars does when you stall it, but more aggressive. In order for the car not to do that, I have to give it to a little more throttle off the line than I normally do. Is this a twin disk thing? What causes this?
But besides what I mentioned, the clutch feels good. Going through the gears is smooth. No WOT pulls yet. I am just curious to know if the shuddering is going to stop after I put more miles.

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
2010 Roush, RXT twin-disc, Magnum XL and built 4.6L. I can get smooth take-off from start, but only with PERFECT rpm's and clutch release, otherwise I get chatter. Also, if I lug my engine at all, I too get the 'box of rocks'.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
It's not going to be as smooth as a stock clutch when taking off. It's going to take a little more RPM to get moving since it's a grabby clutch.

That being said I don't get a box of rocks sound from mine even when I'm creeping along in traffic at 1000rpm. But I don't know what flywheel is in the car. That might be the difference.

IllCobra

Established Member
2010 Roush, RXT twin-disc, Magnum XL and built 4.6L. I can get smooth take-off from start, but only with PERFECT rpm's and clutch release, otherwise I get chatter. Also, if I lug my engine at all, I too get the 'box of rocks'.
I get chatter and shuddering if it done give it enough throttle - almost feels like I am going over small bumps. It didn't do that the first hundred miles or so. Guess it's the nature of the beast. I guess I'll just have to get used to it.

Users who are viewing this thread