Clutch Balancing in FL.

IllCobra

Established Member
It's not going to be as smooth as a stock clutch when taking off. It's going to take a little more RPM to get moving since it's a grabby clutch.

That being said I don't get a box of rocks sound from mine even when I'm creeping along in traffic at 1000rpm. But I don't know what flywheel is in the car. That might be the difference.
I'll try and get a video of both the rock sound and the shuddering one of these days. I have a steel McLeod flywheel so you would think McLeod would send it good to go. But I just have to get used to it. I wanted a modified car and this is what comes with the territory.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
When I first got my car the clutch was still breaking in. And it had been a while since I had driven anything with an aftermarket clutch. So there was some chatter during that time. I imagine between me learning the car and the clutch finishing breaking in things smoothed out. I did manage to teach both of my kids to drive manual with this set up.

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
...... I wanted a modified car and this is what comes with the territory.
Yeah, well stated. If you buy a stock Mustang, it's likely gonna be smooth and comfy, with very low NVH. But every single mod typically increases NVH somewhat, and the cumulative effect can get quite annoying, but that's the price we pay. :rolleyes:

LS WUT

Established Member
I'll try and get a video of both the rock sound and the shuddering one of these days. I have a steel McLeod flywheel so you would think McLeod would send it good to go. But I just have to get used to it. I wanted a modified car and this is what comes with the territory.
I bought a brand new one. It wasn’t installed properly by them. Half of the twin disc was burnt up, the other side was fine. They said they can’t do anything about it since it was installed. I laughed and said well I appreciate it. So now I have this McLeod sitting on the floor in my garage and have no desire to have it sent out to be rebuilt. Barely had 8k miles on it.

IllCobra

Established Member
I bought a brand new one. It wasn’t installed properly by them. Half of the twin disc was burnt up, the other side was fine. They said they can’t do anything about it since it was installed. I laughed and said well I appreciate it. So now I have this McLeod sitting on the floor in my garage and have no desire to have it sent out to be rebuilt. Barely had 8k miles on it.
Wait, McLeod installed the clutch on your car and it still only lasted 8k miles? Now that is bad. What were the signs of the clutch going out? Did you have the issues I described during the break-in process? As I've said, I can get use to the noise and maybe even the shuddering, but if this damn thing only gets me <10k miles, no more McLeods for me.

LS WUT

Established Member
Wait, McLeod installed the clutch on your car and it still only lasted 8k miles? Now that is bad. What were the signs of the clutch going out? Did you have the issues I described during the break-in process? As I've said, I can get use to the noise and maybe even the shuddering, but if this damn thing only gets me <10k miles, no more McLeods for me.
McLeod themself didn’t install it on the car. I’m sorry, I meant whoever put the twin disc clutch together didn’t do it properly on the assembly line. The clutch would feel like it would engage, disengage, and engage again without much clutch release, the chatter was getting loud but not if you did it quick enough. The shutter started to get bad around 6k miles. Mind you I did a 7k mile road trip. A vast majority of that was back roads and such. (Route 66 Trip).

IllCobra

Established Member
McLeod themself didn’t install it on the car. I’m sorry, I meant whoever put the twin disc clutch together didn’t do it properly on the assembly line. The clutch would feel like it would engage, disengage, and engage again without much clutch release, the chatter was getting loud but not if you did it quick enough. The shutter started to get bad around 6k miles. Mind you I did a 7k mile road trip. A vast majority of that was back roads and such. (Route 66 Trip).
Ah ok. Yeah, I made sure I did everything by the book. Torqued everything by what McLeod listed on their instructions, new TOB and pilot from Ford, made sure I got grease on what needed it and none on what didn't, break-in process was closer to 600 miles rather than 500 since I drove it a few miles on the hwy, and nothing over 3k rpm ( don't think I ever got it past 2800 rpm honestly). The only thing was I didn't get the clutch balanced because no shops did it - some didn't even know what I was talking about. But I gave McLeod the benefit of the doubt although I had been reading the past few years that serval people had been having issues with their McLeod clutches. I am still giving them that benefit until I put many more miles on this thing.

LS WUT

Established Member
Ah ok. Yeah, I made sure I did everything by the book. Torqued everything by what McLeod listed on their instructions, new TOB and pilot from Ford, made sure I got grease on what needed it and none on what didn't, break-in process was closer to 600 miles rather than 500 since I drove it a few miles on the hwy, and nothing over 3k rpm ( don't think I ever got it past 2800 rpm honestly). The only thing was I didn't get the clutch balanced because no shops did it - some didn't even know what I was talking about. But I gave McLeod the benefit of the doubt although I had been reading the past few years that serval people had been having issues with their McLeod clutches. I am still giving them that benefit until I put many more miles on this thing.
I agree, it might work out. Only one of the discs was worn out on mine. Which is the weirdest thing. I installed everything properly and all. Such a weird thing man. Give it a few more miles before making any conclusions. Goodluck my friend!

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
This thread reminded me, would anyone happen to know the size of the two small bolts that hold the block plate to the bottom of the bellhousing? The previous owner of my car left them out when he did the install. And I tend to only think about them when I'm under the car doing something else.

IllCobra

Established Member
This thread reminded me, would anyone happen to know the size of the two small bolts that hold the block plate to the bottom of the bellhousing? The previous owner of my car left them out when he did the install. And I tend to only think about them when I'm under the car doing something else.
Not a clue brotha

Users who are viewing this thread