Clutch adjustment?

Fuerza

Established Member
Originally posted by harry gilbert
With the car OFF, put it in first gear. Reach down and with your hands, pull UP on the clutch pedal. You may or may not hear a click. With your foor press the clutch down to the floor. You have just exercised the clutch cable adjuster and taken out the clutch cable slack. This works much like an auto brake cable adjuster.

Learn something new everyday.

ZXMustang

Banned
Not to bring this back from the dead, but this thread helped me out. If you are still around Harry Gilbert....Thanks!!!!!!!! I had to manually push the clutch down, then hold the adjuster up with my other hand and let the clutch go. I got like 6 clicks out of mine, and mine even shifts smoother!!! The dealer told me I needed a new clutch!!! Morons. Mine was doing the same as the original posters was, where the clutch was only engaging at the floor. Apparently, my clutch was not engaged all the way at that point, and I thought my tranny/clutch was fried. Not after doing this. Thanks again.

Brian

SonicTerminator

Whistle Box Equipped 4.6
Established Member
firewall adjuster

not to keep this old ass thread goin but, my pedal was way way way low even with quadrant adjusted all the way so i dished out the 40 bucks and got a firewall adjuster. works sweet i can adjust it to where i want it. hopefully the clutch is still ok its only got 16 on oit!!:beer:

stvdman

Established Member
BLAST FROM THE PAST!

The reason I am posting this is I followed this thread, and Cobra Bob's Terminator FAQ #'s 4.9 and 5.10 (Hard to Shift).

I followed 5.10's advice of :
"What needs to be done to PROPERLY adjust the cable is you need to move your seat back and steering wheel all the way up. Then you need to push the clutch down with one hand and hold the white adjuster with your other hand in its place, then pull the clutch pedal up. When you do this you are preloading the adjuster and taking up the clutch cable slack by pulling the pedal up. When you do this, you should hear clicks from the pedal preloading on the adjuster plastic teeth. You can do this as much as you want, then your clutch pedal will engage much higher and your clutch will disengage properly to allow you to shift faster."

I followed it the way I thought I should and couldnt get anything done. I did two things thats not really clear above (at least for me):

1. Prior to holding/pushing on adjuster I lifted up SLIGHTLY on the clutch pedal. this seemed to release the adjuster.
2. I then pushed in the clutch pedal and AT THE SAME TIME held the white adjuster.

SO adding that into the above it would read:

What needs to be done to PROPERLY adjust the cable is you need to move your seat back and steering wheel all the way up. Then push on/hold the white adjuster, push the clutch up slightly, once adjuster releases slightly, keep holding the adjuster and push the clutch pedal down, release the adjuster and then pull the clutch pedal up. When you do this you are preloading the adjuster and taking up the clutch cable slack by pulling the pedal up. When you do this, you should hear clicks from the pedal preloading on the adjuster plastic teeth. You can do this as much as you want, then your clutch pedal will engage much higher and your clutch will disengage properly to allow you to shift faster.

Thats what I did. I did it twice. Now the clutch engages about 3.5" from the floor vice the 1" it did before.

I am not 100% certain I did it right, but it sure feels better. If something is wrong with what I did please feel free to point it out. I would be happy to remove this if what I did would hurt someone elses Cobra.

Last edited:

Cos

Established Member
Thank you thank you Thank you thank you Thank you thank you Thank you thank you.

Just had my clutch done and was really happy with it except for that. Went outside my office, pulled up, felt the obvious change but not a click, and pushed down and it felt 100% normal again.

:beer:

coketo

Silver Snake!!!
Established Member
I need to do this to mine... My clutch feels very loose

Users who are viewing this thread