cloyes hex a just timing kit.... opinions

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
I already have this kit and im rebuilding my motor. but I read somewhere that the hex a just has an issue and have broken apart....?

fact/fiction?

just need some good advise because everything is apart currently.

I also have the tfs lower timing gear.

car is 283ci motor with 76mm turbo made 25psi 1,000 rwhp.

stradt03

Established Member
Something about adjustable timing components scares me. I know many people are out there using them but I would never sleep soundly at night knowing that those gears are held in time by those allen screws.

I'm building up a 1000rwhp turbo motor currently and I'm sticking with a billet crank and stock cam wheels.

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
Something about adjustable timing components scares me. I know many people are out there using them but I would never sleep soundly at night knowing that those gears are held in time by those allen screws.

I'm building up a 1000rwhp turbo motor currently and I'm sticking with a billet crank and stock cam wheels.

Maybe with red loctit it will be ok. The timing pieces have been ran in my motor 3 different times with no failures. But I've had bad luck so I'm trying to remove as many risk as possible.

I'm more worried the stock gears will be killed by my custom cams and heavy spring pressures. I don't see any options for me but to use the hex a just setup.

ViperRed91GT

Lightning Guru
Established Member
Run these in my truck with no issues at all. It is my understanding that most of the load is held by the cam bolt, and the Allen screws are there for extra insurance/clamping force.

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
This brings back memories of when I had adjustable cam gears on one of my Hondas. To adjust the cams you had to loosen some allen screws and then either advance or retard the cam as required. Well one of my gears were not true and had the slightest wobble to it (couldnt see it with naked eye at idle). Eventually the allens came loose and the cam advanced itself all the way bending all of my intake valves. After that I swapped to a set up that actually had a locking pin so even if the adjustment screws were loose the gear would still not move.

You just have to ask yourself how much gain can be had by having this on your car. I dont think you are going to be hurting for power with your set up so I would personally stay away. IMO, its just one more thing that could go wrong.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
I just finished timing my engine. I have the hex adjust primaries and the multiple slot secondaries.

1st: Don't use red loctite, blue is enough.

2nd: it's not just the two small Allen key head bolts holding the cam gear. Once you tighten the cam bolt its holding the gear in place. This is also why you want to either stud your cams or use a 12mm ARP cam bolt.

Last edited:

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
I just finished timing my engine. I have the hex adjust primaries and the multiple slot secondaries.

1st: Don't use red picture, blue is enough.

2nd: it's not just the two small Allen key head bolts holding the cam gear. Once you tighten the cam bolt its holding the gear in place. This is also why you want to either stud your cams or use a 12mm ARP cam bolt.

OK blue loctit it is and I already have the larger arp bolt.

Thanks

SlowSVT

Established Member
I've struggled with this issue as well. Having a cam gear resting on slotted holes makes me nervous. The only other option is sticking with the OEM gear but those are not without their risks as well. Mainly they are powdered metal. The stuff is strong and very hard but it can also be brittle. A friend of mine had one break apart in his hand after removing it from the cam. Not sure if anyone sells a fixed timing billet gears. The downside here is the timing between all 4 gears is usually wildly off I've heard by as much as 7 degrees. That's pretty huge. After looking at all the adjustable gears I decided the Cloyes were the best design. As ViperRed stated the pinch of the cam bolt is what takes-up most of the stress. I haven't heard of any failures with the Cloyes but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I'm not a big fan of that primary gear with all those unused key ways but if it doesn't break that's all that matters.

OW99

Established Member
You can use trickflow adjustable crank gears and keep the stock primary gears and use Cloyes adjustable secondary gears. No slots to worry about coming loose.

Users who are viewing this thread