Clogged Cats?

MotoXracer21

I Need Low 12s....
Established Member
First off, I usually dont drive my car very hard, im usually in a high gear and just cruising.
Obviously, there comes a time where you need to floor the beast out and do a quick 20-100 blast for fun!!

Now to the question...Soon after this little 20-100 stint I parked my car and smelled strong exhaust "fumes" (for the lack of a better definition) coming from my car. Now rewind back to when I was at about 10,000 miles (im at 15,000 now), and I had my first dyno run (see sig). After the first run the first words out of the mechanic were "did you just buy this exhaust?" In fact, I had had the Borlas on for at least 2.000 miles prior....
Should I worry about having clogged cats, or is this a normal thing after a quick high-rpm run?
Is there a tell-tale sign that would prove that I DO have clogged cats? Ive heard that they glow red/orange after hard driving, should I look for that? I dynoed 405/373 (back with a steeda intake) and thought that was high enough that I wouldnt have to be worried about it....
Opinions?

Thanks...:beer:

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Just read the thread. That's normal with the old ECU program. Mine was hella stinky. Haven't had that problem recently.

Here's the original mod-free dyno before the ECU update:

platinum_dyno_stock.jpg

As you can see, it's as piggy as it gets up top.

MotoXracer21

I Need Low 12s....
Established Member
My car is YDH1, I thought that was the newest on the 03 (before the new flash)? Or by old ecu, do you mean everything pre-stall fix?

icu812

GOT MILF?
Established Member
yeah my car is also YDH1
car was born in11/02( no tick,stall or any other problem)
and I get that funky "ODOR" when I run it hard also does it mean that its way "fat"(after looking at your dyno graph) or are my cats clogging ?
and when you say "OLD ECU PROGRAM" what are you talking about, do you mean I need to go back to the dealer and have it reflashed or you added a aftermarket chip/flash after mods you done heck the cars only got 6200 miles on her

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
What mean is all the previous tunes pre stall flash.

Pig rich top-end + cats + lead foot = stinky odor

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Rich mixture adds excessive so2 gases into the mix.

Whenever the cats get an extremely rich mixture, they tend to produce a sulfuric odor since they can't burn off the extra gases. Hence the rotten egg smell. Many cars and trucks exibit this at WOT. The richer the mix at WOT, the worse it gets.

Does this answer your quawestiohn?

icu812

GOT MILF?
Established Member
thanks for the input!
yes it answered my qua-est-shun perfectly :bowdown:
so my next "?" would be if I put a CIA & C/B on and / or maybe a 3.10 pulley will this get rid of the bad egg syndrone or just go buy a predator and take out a little fuel on the top end? any input is appr.:beer:

Last edited:

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Originally posted by icu812
thanks for the input!
yes it answered my qua-est-shun perfectly :bowdown:
so my next "?" would be if I put a CIA & C/B on and / or maybe a 3.10 pulley will this get rid of the bad egg syndrone or just go buy a predator and take out a little fuel on the top end? any input is appr.:beer:

Good question. I've heard both sides of the spectrum, meaning some lean up, others stay the same.

Adding a pulley, then having a professional tune is your best bet, and will get rid of much of the stinkies (a little is necessary, however).

icu812

GOT MILF?
Established Member
thanks for the input I was wondering if something wasn't up with my emission system so I think I'll go with your advice on that one and get the pulley and tune got a C/B and a CAI ordered so might as well go and order the pulley to and just get it all tuned at once again thank you for the input

Users who are viewing this thread