"Clear Conscience" S197-S550 Track Car

Aeneas137

Established Member
TL;DR: what's the best Mustang for amateur track use on a shoestring budget? meaning I can't just go buy a GT350. I go through my reasoning below but damn didn't realize that was so long.

I have a dilemma! I'm over half done building a Nissan track car and looking to do the same with a Mustang next fall 2022. I'm a lifelong Mustang fan but only a recent Nissan convert (if you've never wrenched on one, I highly recommend it). My 11 GT500 is unsuited to the track. I don't want to use it up, either. I need another Mustang to "screw up" without regrets. My goal is 8:1 or TT1/TT2 (unlimited upgrades without spec rules). High miles since it will get abused and rebuilt as needed. Not stripped full race but maybe 50/50. Interested in opinions for a car no one will miss. Just writing down my thoughts. Opinions?

05-10 GT: If I go this route, I'd rather get a Roush 427R/P51 or similar GT build to save time as a starting point. I can't see an advantage over a 5.0/5.4 except in weight. Leaning away from here. Opinions? Even Ford Racing parts are becoming scarce. A Roush, for instance, will end up becoming a M90 or TVS GT in the long term due to replacement parts. (Roush treats their street cars like their race cars, not looking back).

05-10 GT500: I don't mind 100 extra lbs in the front since some weight will be removed and rear brakes/anti-roll can be set to compensate for front dive. I like this choice better than a GT because parts are more available. Same suspension/brake upgrades would be needed. Overall it just feels like a stronger starting point. Opinions?

11-14 GT: If I'm going into this era, a Boss makes sense. Starting with a regular Boss would be fun and I would leave the engine alone (mostly). Unlike the previous two eras, this could just be a "tires&pads" track car, left otherwise streetable. That's very appealing and a tough choice vs an Fe GT500. I feel that a Boss would be more enjoyable on track keeping in mind I'm talking about a high mileage low-cost example.

11-14 GT500: I own one and not gonna find one at a reasonable price point for track. A high mileage is still gonna go for 30k. Not the best bang/buck. I would choose a Boss over this as well.

15+ GT: If I can find one for 20k, then this would rise above a Boss in my list due to the IRS and stiffer chassis. Very trackable with just tires&pads as a starting point but the body style doesn't excite me at all like previous eras. That being said, I'm more likely to drive the hell out of it and it will take the abuse better than previous eras.

Last edited:

Aeneas137

Established Member
Hmm, not a racing forum, so I'm barking up the wrong tree, but if anyone comes across this post, I'll simplify the question...

What I'm looking for is advice regarding two specific cars for track use: 2012-13 Boss 302 (standard) *OR* 2015+ Mustang GT. Comparing apples to apples here, mileage is a factor in price, so I'd consider either car at the same price point, about 25k.

I love the Boss but also love IRS. So, when I sell my GT500, I'll be in the market and would like to decide in advance. Thing about the S197 is I'm familiar with the platform and it's limitations (e.g. watts link, K-member, etc) and the S550 would require less prep work up front.

It's a total toss up for me, flip of a coin. I can't decide. :)

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
If it's that close, flip a coin. Or, you could make a list of pros and cons for each, and then weigh the totals for each. Include acquisition cost, mods costs, maintenance (track) costs, etc.

Aeneas137

Established Member
If it's that close, flip a coin. Or, you could make a list of pros and cons for each, and then weigh the totals for each. Include acquisition cost, mods costs, maintenance (track) costs, etc.

Ah, when I make that list the 2015 wins but I have nostalgic fondness for the Boss. :) maybe I'll just put feelers out for both and see which one comes up.

Dave.O

Established Member
From. Guy who’s built and bought a track car…. Buying used is way cheaper…

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Dave.O

Established Member
I’d recommend a used coyote swap into an earlier platform

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
S550 wins for most of the "on paper" reasons, but a Boss 302 would be waaaaaaaaaaaaay cooler and has a factory motor that is fully forged and tough as fookin nails.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I'd buy an S550 that's already built.

Sent from my Potato

Recon

Established Member
If you’re thinking about a 3V Roush; I’d take a hard look at the 427R TrakPak. It’s basically built for the track right out of the box. Only real issue is they’re rare with only 100 units produced and only one year of production.
But I agree with an earlier post about a boss being a heavy contender in your decision.

Pick your poison.

Aeneas137

Established Member
I'd buy an S550 that's already built.

Sent from my Potato

I've seen quite a few built s197s come up at trackmustangsonline for 15K but I haven't seen an S550 listed. I almost bought one last year but finally decided I'd rather have a Boss than an older s197.

there's a fellow in NASA NorCal with a blue 2016 GT and he runs that thing hard. he said it's stock except for brake pads, fluid, tires. but he's not running in any spec he's HPDE3. that's where I am & I don't think I'll ever go beyond TT. at my age I know my limits and my reflexes are good but my eyesight is not that great.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I've seen quite a few built s197s come up at trackmustangsonline for 15K but I haven't seen an S550 listed. I almost bought one last year but finally decided I'd rather have a Boss than an older s197.

there's a fellow in NASA NorCal with a blue 2016 GT and he runs that thing hard. he said it's stock except for brake pads, fluid, tires. but he's not running in any spec he's HPDE3. that's where I am & I don't think I'll ever go beyond TT. at my age I know my limits and my reflexes are good but my eyesight is not that great.

I run TT an love it. Sure, wheel to wheel would be a good time, but in my region there aren't any other SU cars, so it's just TT anyways for me.

I like running TT because everyone out there is out for a fast lap, and they understand to get the hell out of the way on flyers.

Aeneas137

Established Member
I run TT an love it. Sure, wheel to wheel would be a good time, but in my region there aren't any other SU cars, so it's just TT anyways for me.

I like running TT because everyone out there is out for a fast lap, and they understand to get the hell out of the way on flyers.

that's cool, I'm really looking forward to TT next year.

my first time ever on a track was in the 11 GT500 and afterward all the Miata people were complaining at the download and I'm like dude my first time ever cut me some slack geez! I didn't know a damn thing about miatas. lol. it's funny how quickly you learn on track, just a few sessions and I was flying. exhilarating.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
that's cool, I'm really looking forward to TT next year.

my first time ever on a track was in the 11 GT500 and afterward all the Miata people were complaining at the download and I'm like dude my first time ever cut me some slack geez! I didn't know a damn thing about miatas. lol. it's funny how quickly you learn on track, just a few sessions and I was flying. exhilarating.

Haha yeah. I learned to track in my Gen IV ACR haha

Users who are viewing this thread