Clear bra questions

fak3r

Bow to your sensei!!
Established Member
Gentlemen, it's that time again where I begin to spend the money that's been burning my pocket for the last few years.

Having picked up an immaculate black cobra, I would like to have a clear bra installed on the front, essentially covering part of the hood, bumper and mirrors. Without that protection, I don't even want to think about what 495 construction is going to do to this paint.

Has anyone done this on their Cobra? Do you recommend the upgrade?
Since I can't wax underneath the clear bra, how different is going to look from the other polished pieces?
If so, can you recommend a shop around the Northern Virginia, MD area that installs these at a reasonable price and provides a nice warranty?

How much would you expect to or DID pay and what type of clear bra did you end up going with?

As always, thanks in advance to those who reply. I am excited to be back and part of the MACA club. See you all at the UMD show

-Paul/Pavel

Last edited:

frederick184

Shelby Enthusiast
Established Member
I have a black GT500 and got one installed immediately after I bought the car. I got the 3M bra and it cost me around $1300 installed. That was the complete front end including bumper, around the grille, front part of fenders and hood as far back as the vents, plus the backs of the mirrors. You can see the line on the black car of course but personally I don't really care about that and you need to be close up to see it.

I had it installed in Frederick MD at Auto Trim Design. They did a great job. No complaints. I would hate to have to deal with stone chips. Been there.

Colin

fak3r

Bow to your sensei!!
Established Member
I have a black GT500 and got one installed immediately after I bought the car. I got the 3M bra and it cost me around $1300 installed. That was the complete front end including bumper, around the grille, front part of fenders and hood as far back as the vents, plus the backs of the mirrors. You can see the line on the black car of course but personally I don't really care about that and you need to be close up to see it.

I had it installed in Frederick MD at Auto Trim Design. They did a great job. No complaints. I would hate to have to deal with stone chips. Been there.

Colin

Thanks for the feedback Colin. Sounds like it was worth the investment. I am not sure I want to spend $1300 but somewhere in the range of $600-$700 would be acceptable. I have seen that there are different packages offered so I guess it's a matter of finding the right one.

Thanks again Colin.

Can anyone else recommend a shop in the NoVA area? I've looked into the ProShield Inc- 3M VentureShield Installation Pricing but not sure of their reputation.

itSSlow98

Established Member
Ive seen it on my friends 2011 Gt and I was less then impressed. For the money spent I could have my whole front end repainted by a friend that works at a body shop.

WildFifty

Established Member
I bought my Cobra in 09 with 20k miles on it. it was flawless, not a single rock chip. Now 3 years later it has 30k miles and its amazing at the amount of rock chips it has gathered driving around here.

I am giong to get the front bumper, hood and mirrors repainted soon and when i do i will be investing in a clear bra. If i were you i would get the entire hood wrapped to avoid the line down the middle of it specially on a black car.

This stuff is not cheap, and you get what you pay for. A friend of mine had his m3 done at a local shop for $600 but you can see bubbles and stretch marks on the material. of course they do not guarantee from those things at that price.

I have been hearing great things about this installer. his name is Shy and i plan on using him when i take the plunge.
CustomClearTech

if you follow this link you can see his work on a new lambo
Clear bra paint protection recommendation - 6speedonline.com Forums

Last edited:

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Here's another option Paul. This guy has good pricing and is super nice. I reeeeally regret not getting the clear bra done on my WRX because the front bumper and hood have a ton of chips on them after only 4 months :(

I'd recommend doing the full front bumper, full hood and full front fenders at least so you don't see any lines. Probably a-pillars and mirrors too, anything facing forward. Make sure you ask them about wrapping the edges, meaning they'll go around to the back of each panel. Some installs you can see the edge of the material at every body panel junction.

Bonefish

FKNGFST
Established Member
I've got it on mine and paid well...I paid less than $1300.00....but, it's my second car with the same guy. I would not use anyone else. He is in Ellicott City and he will treat you right and do an excellent job. I'm thinking you might be able to get it under $1300.00. Doubtful you would be $600 to $700.00 but think maybe $1000.00. Well worth it...and you can wax right over it....I know others will say you can't but, you can. The guy I deal with has been in the industry since it's inception and knows alot. Let me know if you want his info..and I'll PM you. He is not a vendor on here so, I don't want to break any rules.

By the way...each time I've sat in the bay with him and watched him put it on so he has nothing to hid....

fak3r

Bow to your sensei!!
Established Member
I've got an appointment scheduled with Shy from Clear Custom Tech. By far not the cheapest way to go but he knows his craft and that's the most important thing for me

Bonefish

FKNGFST
Established Member
I've got an appointment scheduled with Shy from Clear Custom Tech. By far not the cheapest way to go but he knows his craft and that's the most important thing for me

Did you call Rob? What did he quote you?

Hmm....I'd be interested to send the end result...and I'm not sure what Rob but, if your saying Shy is high I can't imagine Rob was higher.

fak3r

Bow to your sensei!!
Established Member
I left Rob a voicemail and called him two more times yesterday. He never responded. I'll try again today but perhaps you know a better way to contact him? Or do you think you might be able to text him for me? I'd like to hear from him and see how his quote compares.
My phone number is 202-329-1013

Thanks again,
Paul

Did you call Rob? What did he quote you?

Hmm....I'd be interested to send the end result...and I'm not sure what Rob but, if your saying Shy is high I can't imagine Rob was higher.

Bonefish

FKNGFST
Established Member
I left Rob a voicemail and called him two more times yesterday. He never responded. I'll try again today but perhaps you know a better way to contact him? Or do you think you might be able to text him for me? I'd like to hear from him and see how his quote compares.
My phone number is 202-329-1013

Thanks again,
Paul

I just sent him an e-mail...he is usually pretty good about getting back to me.

I asked him to check his vm and give him your name and number!

kens03cobra

COILED
Established Member
I had some installed on the new 450 at the same outfit in Fredrick MD.. It is starting to lift in some places in corners and ends...

Not 100% satisfied

Just my .02

Ken

SYMach1

IRS FTW!
Established Member
There is a guy in sterling called pro shield that does them he does really good work, he is right next door to our shop

ScottinSSMD

gotta 996TT too!
Established Member
I went with a group at the airpark and was not satisfied with the end result. I was sold a 'custom computerized laser cut' system. It is simply a overlay kit that just sets on the face of the surfaces. Every seam is shy of an end, edge, curve, etc. all the exposed edges vulnerable to chipping is exposed. At the end of the day I got what I paid for and will never do an overlay again. Specify you want every single piece WRAPPED.

Good luck

Bonefish

FKNGFST
Established Member
Mine was cut too but, wrapped where could be a and needed. It covers entire front end/bumper area and mirrors. I did not do the complete hood or behind the wheels as I did in the vette but, not sure i really see the need for it. Corvette body style was a little different which meant it needed it behind the wheels.

I preferred the cut before it goes on as opposed to cut on my vehicle....but, everyone is different. I'm happy with what I got as I know if I do have an issue I know Rob will make it right.

I'd be interested to how it goes Paul...now and how it looks a year from now...

Users who are viewing this thread