Cleaning the engine bay and engine

Cobrakai04

Established Member
Any certain type of chemical or something you guys use? The dealer put what looks to be armorall or tire gell all over. Now its all greasy and filled with dirt, bugs, etc. Will I be able to get away with just using a degreaser and garden hose?

thanks.

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
Spray the engine with a 50/50 mix of simple green and water, covering your intake and being carefully around the plugs. Let it sit for an minute and hose it off, again carefully with low pressure.

SicStang03

2SSSlow
Established Member
Spray the engine with a 50/50 mix of simple green and water, covering your intake and being carefully around the plugs. Let it sit for an minute and hose it off, again carefully with low pressure.

+1.. I usually put a trash bag over the intake past the MAF and tuck it all the way around. I then spray some water all over and the spray simple green all over. Let it stand for a few minutes and the spray again with water. I may do this a couple times depending on how bad it is.

Finaltheorem47

I'm a Lead Farmer
Established Member
Just spray w/ hose but not "jet". any APC (all purpose cleaner) works well. Then I like to coat the engine bay with a dressing. 303 Areospace is the best. Dirt doesn't stick to it either once it drys.

Armor all is the worst dressing to use for anything. Use it on leather seats and you slide around all over them, use it on the dash it is super glossy and reflects into the windshield, use on the exterior trim and on a hot day, even if you wipe the excess off it will run down the side and anyways, it only lasts about 5 days w/out rain, will be gone once it rains.

/rant on armor all

4.6snakedoc

Established Member
I used an engine degreaser and brightner that was all in one. cover all intake an electrical components. sprayed on warm,not hot engine, let sit. used old tooth brush and q-tips for small areas and hosed off gently. used leaf blower to dry in valleys. worked great. good luck.

lukabrozi

SVT *****
Established Member
1. spray engine with simple green and count to 100
2. rinse engine off with hose, don't worry about electrical stuff
3. wipe with towels, first dry then wipe
4. drive it, forget it till next month

Juruense

Banned
I just spray my engine bay down with 303 Aerospace Protectant and wash it at the spray and wash every so often, it looks great.

XyX

Still in the game.
Established Member
i need to do mine...probably when i do the pullies

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Can't you screw up your electronics by pressure washing and not covering certain things? Anyone wanna take 5 mins and take a picture of our engine bay and circle everything you should cover?
I did not cover anything when I did my engine. I did take the coil covers off when I was wiping the engine down and blew out some water with my air compressor from down in the spark plug areas.

RussZTT

Established Member
I clean my engine everytime I wash the car. Once in a while I will use a toothbrush. Simple green and water here also.

thelpb

Established Member
Kinda, off topic, but another great spot to use the tire foam: fuel tank.

You'd be surprised.

Fordman9870

Proud Dad of Twin Marines
Established Member
For the brand new look. I have used CDC engine shine, get it at auto zone, comes in a chrome like spray can. makes hoses shiny and engine glossy and other parts new. great for shows

coolcobramatt

Mystified and terminated
Established Member
Orange Blast works well too...I grabbed some last week at Wally World for like $3 for a half gallon as I was too cheap to but the Simple Green for $6 for the spray bottle. It worked just as well...cut right through the dust. I didnt have any heavy grime though.

+2 on not covering thing up. I just watched where I sprayed and hand cleaned the stuff I thought might not like getting too much direct water.

AaronK

Established Member
Kinda, off topic, but another great spot to use the tire foam: fuel tank.

You'd be surprised.

+1 :rockon: It makes a world of difference!

As for the motor, I use simple green about every 3rd time I wash it. I've never used a power washer on it, just a garden hose on "jet". Then dry it off completely. I also take my CAI off when I do this...

Users who are viewing this thread