Cleaning the combustion chambers/IMRC's/runners with Seafoam Decarbonate

Status
Not open for further replies.

RippinSVT

SVT Afficianado...
Established Member
Ok, you all wanna know about Seafoam. Seafoam is this stuff that is used to dissolve carbon deposits in your combustion chambers and will do the same on the IRMC's pretty well. I was sceptacle at first, but then I used it and WOW, what a difference on my 96 Cobra. It can be bought at most autoparts stores. I'm big over on www.stlmustangs.com, and if you post over there asking about it, you'll here about 30 people sing its praises. People say to put it in the gas, but then it's just like injector cleaner and doesn't do shit barely. I was told to use the PCV valve to suck it into the motor, so that's what I did.

Step 1: with the motor off, simply pull the PCV hose out of the DRIVER-side valve cover, but leave it connected to the manifold. On 5.0's use the vacuum line going to the brake booster.

Step 2: Open the bottle of Seafoam (the fluid, not the aerosol spray kind) and put the end of the PCV hose into the can, while keeping the can as upright as possible at first. You'll need 2 people, one to hold the can, one inside the car.

Step 3: Start the motor for about 12 seconds. This will suck all the contents out of the bottle into the motor. The can-holder should signal to the person in the car to turn-off the motor as soon as the can is empty. The faster you turn it off, the better. You'll notice that the motor will nearly die when it sucks in the Seafoam, this is normal. Seriously, it'll work fine after the process is done.

Step 4: Let the car sit for 30 minutes with the engine off.

Step 5: MAKE SURE YOU ARE IN A VEEERY WELL VENTILATED AREA. This will cause quite a smoke-show. Start the motor, let it idle for about 30 seconds. The engine will be sluggish and want to die, but will usually stay running. After 30 seconds or so, raise the RPM to about 2800 and hold it there until you feel the motor start to rev more freely (usually about 20-40 seconds). This step makes lots of smoke. That is all the dissolved carbon blowing out.

Step 6: Take the car out for a spin. Go WOT as soon as possible. This should clear the remaining contaminates.

Step 7: Drive the car around at different speeds and RPM's until it feels like the car is running like normal. After 10-15 of driving, you should notice a large increase in power, more smoothness in revs, and an all-round better running motor. After 74,000 miles I did this, and it felt like the engine had gained 20 horsepower, even though it was probably just underpowered with carbon before.

A can of Seafoam is about $4-5 and the can looks old-school. It has ornate style writing and kinda resembles an old shaving-cream can. Ask the store people, they'll know. It should be by the injector cleaners, etc.

Try it. You won't be dissapointed. PM me if you have questions/comments.

-Kyle

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Read the directions on the can, it says to use only 6oz per application. Do not use the entire contents of the can. You are better off doing two or three 6oz cleanings than one using the entire can.

Ciotti

See-ahh-tee
Established Member
seafoamgasaps.jpg

RippinSVT

SVT Afficianado...
Established Member
na svt said:
Read the directions on the can, it says to use only 6oz per application. Do not use the entire contents of the can. You are better off doing two or three 6oz cleanings than one using the entire can.

I've only done it 10 ten times the other way without issue...

Blown4v

Just Another Sell Out
Established Member
na svt said:

why not, I used an entire can without issue

96RagTop

Too slow, car wont go.
Established Member
Should this be a one time usage or should it be run through a few times? I ran it through the first time a couple days aga and dont notice much difference. Car has 80k on it.

Ciotti

See-ahh-tee
Established Member
Pull the hose off the PCV valve and that's what you put into the can of Seafoam so that it is sucked up into the intake manifold

blackfang

Established Member
I tried this and it works. Car feels stronger!! I think I was freaking some cars out because it looked like i was in a burnout contest :D

STREETFIGHTER50

Established Member
i just ran one thru the vacum hose on my 92 Fobra 5.0. sucked it up slowly while idling, surging up & down a bit. got a lot of that smoke for about 5 mins. drove it around the block in 1st to get the rpm's up (felt more snappy, torquey) maybe i'm just thinkin about it. i'll drive the car later & see if anything better. i may try a can in the oil & one in the tank also.

STREETFIGHTER50

Established Member
damn, what if i didn't turn off the car & let it sit? did i just waste the treatment? what i did exactly was warm up the car for about 10 mins then just let it idle while i sucked the sea foam slowly in thru the vacum line. started surging up & down for a bit & a lot of smoke started coming out the pipes for about 5 mins then i just kept it runnin the whole time. brought the revs up for a little while (sounded smooth) then took it around a bit in 1st & 2nd to get some wot action... feels good to me driving her last night, but would it be better if i let it sit off for 30 mins? should i do it over again?

PGreen Snake

Established Member
what about stangs with a kenne bell on them? i cleaned the ports as much as i could while doin the install, but wanted to know about future treatments so i don't have to tear the intake apart again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread