Cleaning Brake dust from inside wheels

2L8IWON

"I'm on the Mutha Fugger"
Established Member
Hello,
I just returned from being stationed overseas for three years. Before I left I out some Foose wheels on my car. In my absence my car was driven very little, maybe 5k miles the entire time. Today I looked at my wheels in the sun and saw noticeable brake dust build up in the inside of the wheel (behind wheel face).

I was wondering waht you recommend to get that off there the best. I sprayed a little Simple green on a small spot and got a pretty good result but don't really want to use that is there is something safer that I can use.

I plan on taking the wheels off this weekend and giving them a good scrubbing! Thanks for your help

- Jesse

jtm

now more boost included
Established Member
if simple green works then use it, its probably safer than most cleaners. i use it diluted on almost any surface,and would use full strength on dirty wheels. just dont let any cleaners dry on the wheels. wash and rinse throughly. couple coats of wheel sealant works wonders for them staying clean

oldmodman

Established Member
I had a friend that brought a car to me that he wanted to sell. Paint was fine but wheels had crud built up everywhere except for the easy to reach outside. I tried all the standard, gentle cleaners on the wheels but the stuff was impervious to them.
I ended up using Eagle 1 Chrome Wheel Cleaner that I bought at Big Lots for 99cents. It was incredibly harsh. It's main component was hydrochloric acid and hydrofluoric acid. I gave the wheel a spray, waited about a minute, then worked them over with a brush. it took off ever trace of brake dust and did not damage the finish.
Never use a cleaner like this on a bare aluminum wheel or a painted wheel.
And if you ever use a cleaner with those ingredients wear a mask and gloves. And clothes that you don't care about. And keep the hell off of the paint.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
^ I know EO All-Wheel has destroyed a few wheels when used improperly. DO NOT under any circumstances do more than 1-wheel at a time and DO NOT let it dry on the wheel.

If SimpleGreen was cutting it ok; mix Simple Green @ 1:1 and put a healthy dose of Dawn-Ultra in the bottom of the bottle (enough to cover the bottom+ a little more).

That should take care of it *if* your wheels were clean/new when you left.

A stiff nylon bristle brush and/or a cotton terry cloth washrag usually works best for most inner rim barrels.

If that doesn't cut it, go with Meg's Wheel Brightener and dilute it *under* the lowest dilution ration given on the back label. It will def. get the job done and I've never had it hurt any clearcoated wheel. DO NOT use it on powdercoated/other special coatings. Wear gloves and a mask.

Users who are viewing this thread