Cleaning a Windshield

Tim Comer

Established Member
I work at a power plant that has a scrubber. Occasionally, we get stuff on our cars that absolutely will not wash off. A local car wash informed us they could get it off. They spray the car with a solution out of a little hand pump sprayer, let it set for a awhile, then run it through. The cars come out spotless after they dry it. Anybody know what this stuff is? The car wash said it's a secret. I'd like to know what it is just to clean the front windshield. I've even used white vinegar and a nylon scrunge pad, and it won't come off. Any ideas?

Chewy

Established Member
Vineger is acidic. You need an alkaline based product. Probably just a high PH all purpose cleaner.

Tim Comer

Established Member
Don't think I've ever seen those two before. That orange stuff has a PH of 12. You could neutralize the vinegar with that. Cheap enough. I might give that stuff a try. Funny thing is, the car wash claim it's an acid wash. If that's true, pretty slick. They're washing the acid residue off the vehicles, and not using acid to fool us. The stuff on the windshield looks like hard water (lime) deposits, which an acid based cleaner would remove.

dcpatters

Established Member
A super fine grade steel wool can be used to clean the windshield. Some polish along with the steel wool does an excellent job of removing spots and residue of glass.

Chewy

Established Member
Tim - there are also several different kinds of strong acidic cleaners that could do do the trick as well. The key is using the correct one for the application.

Another one to try an ABC wash by Valugard. It uses an Acid and followed by a neutralizing Alkaline
Valugard - Neutralization System

Users who are viewing this thread