Clean Rims from HT10 Brake Dust

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Does anybody have any suggestions how to get the brake dust off of my rims? Yes I drove for about a month with HT10s after my last track event because I just didn't get around to changing them. They actually have better cold bite then the Galpher pads the Brembos came with. I washed my car after the track event and everything came off of the rims without any problem and other then a little noise they were great. I had to go to the Bahamas for work for two weeks and didn't have time to clean before and now it is caked on and doesn't want to come off at all. I have tried brake cleaner and rim cleaner and about 80% came off primarily the machined surfaces.

Anybody have any suggestions?

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
toofast4u said:
Does anybody have any suggestions how to get the brake dust off of my rims? Yes I drove for about a month with HT10s after my last track event because I just didn't get around to changing them. They actually have better cold bite then the Galpher pads the Brembos came with. I washed my car after the track event and everything came off of the rims without any problem and other then a little noise they were great. I had to go to the Bahamas for work for two weeks and didn't have time to clean before and now it is caked on and doesn't want to come off at all. I have tried brake cleaner and rim cleaner and about 80% came off primarily the machined surfaces.

Anybody have any suggestions?

So I guess that would mean the brake dust from the HT-10's is no different/better than the Blues?

All I can say is I feel your pain. Luckily for me my residue was on chrome wheels and I used a ton of chrome cleaner and steel wool to get that crap off!! I also had to clay bar the bejebbers out of the paint on the car to get that off! It was serious painage!!! I would try a clay bar on your wheels and then keep that clay bar as a dedicated wheel clay bar. Don't use it on your paint.

Good Luck!

kevin

ac427cobra said:
So I guess that would mean the brake dust from the HT-10's is no different/better than the Blues?

All I can say is I feel your pain. Luckily for me my residue was on chrome wheels and I used a ton of chrome cleaner and steel wool to get that crap off!! I also had to clay bar the bejebbers out of the paint on the car to get that off! It was serious painage!!! I would try a clay bar on your wheels and then keep that clay bar as a dedicated wheel clay bar. Don't use it on your paint.

Good Luck!

you work waaayyyy too hard.

i don't even bother. it's called "character". and believe me, there's lots of character on my r ;-)

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
I'm with Kevin...whatever the rag doesnt remove stays :-D
poc-08-12-03-1.jpg

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
:lol: :lol: :lol:

guess I'm a diehard :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

I STILL have bugs and tire splooge from this year's first event on the car ;-)

its no museum piece thats for sure :kaboom:

.....well maybe once I paint the cage??? :dw: :poke: :lol1: :lol1: :lol1:

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
ac427cobra said:
Dooood:

That SO hurts my eyes!!! ;-)

I'm gonna have ALL of my wheels powder coated in charcoal grey so ya cant tell they are dirty ;-)

or enlist lew to clean them!!! :idea:

SVT_KY

Established Member
NJ2000R said:
I'm gonna have ALL of my wheels powder coated in charcoal grey

That really WORKS !!! There is a fella in town that does
a lot of wheels for the Pro Rally guys, and that's where I
got mine done. He does them at very low temp, (Aluminum
can't take the heat ... ) and does them flat so they stay BALANCED.
$75 per wheel including bead blasting to remove the old stuff...
(Cause you can't SAND blast the Aluminum either! PITA)
BTW, if you have something BIG, he has a 22 foot oven and
does full frame stuff too.

SIG_PIC.jpg

Fastest Red 2002 Pickup in Kentucky that has appeared on the cover of
a national magazine and has powder coated rims, a stock transmission and
motor and the number 7 on the door, and has 399.9 RWHP !! WHO STOLE MY
OTHER 50 HORSES ??? Please bring them back !!!

Cliff Hemstock
Resident Curmudgeon
2002 Ford Lightning -- "STRUCK"
"If you can beat my tow truck, you can race my race car!"
Need Help with Something? Click here and check this out!!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread