"Clean air act"

jdcobra

Established Member
So I've been out of the loop with everything going on and just saw a video posted by a reputable tuner regarding of what is currently going on in the tuning world. From what I understood, the Government is trying to come down on tunes due to possible air pollution? If someone could chime in and explain it to my dumbass, I'd greatly appreciate it, lol.
Also saw that the company who mans the Nguage also went out of business which is really sad that I'll have to go back to using SCT. Not that there was anything wrong with them, the Ngauge was just a nice device IMO

jdcobra

Established Member
I was guessing it has to do with the new admin in office, but I’ve heard this has started sometime ago?

HEMIHUNTER

Established Member
I was guessing it has to do with the new admin in office, but I’ve heard this has started sometime ago?

Yes, as EV’s become more prevalent and engines as we know them are phased out it’s inevitable.
IMHO hybrids are they way to go but they’ll be gone eventually too.
Again IMHO the only bright spot may/should be tuners developing software to mod the shit out of EV’s producing big “HP” until BIG BROTHER steps in and tells them no.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member

it’s been getting stricter in the oil field. Like VERY strict.

best way to put it two years ago emissions wise... say there was a cup you were filling

Two years ago on an engine, you turn on a faucet and you could run the water open enough to where you can just fill a pot like you need to boil water

that same engine can only be turned on enough that you have to fill a tablespoon to then dump into the pot

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
No trying about it. An Enforcement initiative started cracking down hard last year specifically, and many businesses have already been fined into oblivion. RIP aftermarket

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Yes, as EV’s become more prevalent and engines as we know them are phased out it’s inevitable. IMHO hybrids are they way to go but they’ll be gone eventually too. Again IMHO the only bright spot may/should be tuners developing software to mod the shit out of EV’s producing big “HP” until BIG BROTHER steps in and tells them no.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app
I'm not an EV expert by any stretch, but I was told a couple of weeks ago that you could not "tune" a horsepower increase into a Tesla vehicle. It required a complete battery replacement which, of course, is really expensive. I was also told that Tesla will not upgrade a vehicle with a higher performance battery. That's what I was told. It hasn't been fact checked. But it makes sense.

EDIT: Actually, here is a good article explaining how an EV can be modified to produce more power. It's more than upgrading batteries.
All you need to know about tuning electric vehicles

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm not an EV expert by any stretch, but I was told a couple of weeks ago that you could not "tune" a horsepower increase into a Tesla vehicle. It required a complete battery replacement which, of course, is really expensive. I was also told that Tesla will not upgrade a vehicle with a higher performance battery. That's what I was told. It hasn't been fact checked. But it makes sense.

EDIT: Actually, here is a good article explaining how an EV can be modified to produce more power. It's more than upgrading batteries.

From my understanding, as long as the hardware is already there someone could theoretically unlock it with software(aka "hack" or "tune"). Unlocking ludicrous mode is a good example. But for the most part its not like you can optimize anything for more power. I do know guys unlocking some fun features to allow more performance, essentially turning off nannies and various protections, but not adding actual power.

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
I remember reading the aftermarket car industry as a whole is around 4 million jobs. Gonna be real great when many of those folks file unemployment.

Funny thing is we could go completely "Green" in terms of fuel and energy and it won't do shit. The biggest polluters on the planet are India and China and they frankly don't care no matter what they say. Their actions speak louder then words.

Last edited:

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member

My friend that has a Tesla was talking about modifying/changing programing on them and one concern is that Tesla and others could probably pretty easily validate what's going on with your vehicle and ban it from using their charging network under the label that it's potentially dangerous (ie a short/fire/explosion etc...).

the rolling coal idiots brought made this crackdown much quicker/more severe imho. The blatant disregard took something they were seemingly ok with going under the radar and made it where it couldn't be ignored.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
My friend that has a Tesla was talking about modifying/changing programing on them and one concern is that Tesla and others could probably pretty easily validate what's going on with your vehicle and ban it from using their charging network under the label that it's potentially dangerous (ie a short/fire/explosion etc...).

the rolling coal idiots brought made this crackdown much quicker/more severe imho. The blatant disregard took something they were seemingly ok with going under the radar and made it where it couldn't be ignored.

Yea. Anyone that has a giant Roll Coal sticker and stacks on the back of their Diesel truck immediately gets the blame from me. The avg person gave two shits about this until these idiots started making it painfully obvious what we were all doing.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Regrettably the coal rollers did get the public's eye starting years ago. However, the culture did start shifting and in the last couple of years it has become completely unacceptable to roll coal. Yes, the yee yee dipshits still do it, but the actual performance enthusiasts like myself and the legit tuners have been openly against it. Another example of too little too late I'm afraid.

jdcobra

Established Member
The other idiots bringing unwanted attention to enthusiasts is all the Side Show dipshits shutting down intersections and freeways to do donuts in Chargers and other shit buckets.

All it takes is a group of ****-heads to mess it up for everyone. Those people aren’t even real enthusiasts in my book.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Lund Jr talks a lot about this, if you are tuned by Lund racing, they're no long tuning with SCT after March 15. Only a LR nGauge or now this new RTD thing from HP tuners. So if you are with Lund racing and using SCT better finsh your shit fast.

The aftermarket automotive industry as a whole, better come together fast to stop these shit heads at the EPA. Because we might not have a aftermarket industry soon.

Users who are viewing this thread