Claybar Question????

MyStIc_04

Established Member
Is it necessary to use claybay on a new vehicle before detailing and waxing?

I was under the impression that if your paint has contaminants, swirls, or scratches use it, outherwise don't.

Anyone have info on this????

hawaiiboysz

Established Member
You should be able to tell if you need it when you apply polish and you see little embedded stuff in your paint that dont come off then you should use a clay bar. The clay bar will make it smooth as hell. I personally do it like twice a year just so that crap dont build up and make the paint get all crappy looking. I also use the porter cable buffer it always yields a perfect swirls free finish. BTW my car is black and got zero swirls.

O4COBRA

Established Member
Even a brand new car needs to be clayed. Even if it feels good, you may want to do it. It seems like a small step, but it can make a world of difference in the final product!

spree

Established Member
yup...even on a brand new car, you'll be amazed by how much stuff the claybar picks up. You should clay it at least twice a year.

coolcobramatt

Mystified and terminated
Established Member
Yes claybars are a modern day (to us not in the detail biz) miracle but keep in mind each time you clay bar, you are removing a tiny percentage of your paint as well. Be careful rubbing edges as they will be getting the most abrasion. May not show for years, but if you plan on keeping and not painting until hell freezes over, it is taking a slight toll. I use my clay bar when road tar gets those damn tiny black dots all over my yellow paint. Clay bars are a must have for white and yellow!

MyStIc_04

Established Member
Thanks for the info coolcobramatt. I was unaware that the claybay removes a small amount of paint. I have the mystichrome, and don't want to have to repaint the damn thing cause I removed too much paint lol...Anyway I guess I'll wait till it needs it......thanks to all

O4COBRA

Established Member
I've never heard of Clay removing paint, I don't find that to be true. Clay is very low abrassive but shouldn't remove clearcoat or paint, so don't worry about it on your Mystic. If you go over to Autopia.org you can ask a whole lot of questions regarding clay if you feel very nervous! In the end I have never heard of clay removing clearcoat or paint. And if it did, it would take years and years to even make a dent in the clear with clay!

Try this link!

nugen

Established Member
Try detailing your car without claying it. When you're done, run a fresh microfiber towel across the surface. Even though you can't see anything, the microfiber will catch all of the contaminants in your paint. You will be able to feel it pretty easily. Next time, use the clay bar and do the same experiment when you're done. The microfiber towel will glide across the surface.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
The best tool you have for detecting contaminanants on your paint are stuck on the left and right side of your head. I clayed my car again today after doing it two weeks ago, my wax job got cut short so I had to redo it. I was amazed at how I could hear the clay hitting and removing contaminants. This was on a freshly washed and #34 quick detailed finish. This time I had the radio off and it was quiet in the garage, it worked much better as I could hear where the clay had removed all the contaminants and where it hadn't. hth 2881

icu812

GOT MILF?
Established Member
I clay my car each time it gets a coat of wax (quick wash & dry don't count) I use Clay Magic and always recieve fantastic results. it's a must have in your detailing arsinal

coolcobramatt

Mystified and terminated
Established Member
O4COBRA said:
I've never heard of Clay removing paint, I don't find that to be true. Clay is very low abrassive but shouldn't remove clearcoat or paint, so don't worry about it on your Mystic. If you go over to Autopia.org you can ask a whole lot of questions regarding clay if you feel very nervous! In the end I have never heard of clay removing clearcoat or paint. And if it did, it would take years and years to even make a dent in the clear with clay!

Try this link!

Never said it removes it immediately, just that it takes a toll over the years, and we all keep our stangs until they drop right? ;-)

Anyways, how do you think it does such a great job at removing surface contaminates? It is an abrasive tool, slightly abrasive but abrasive nontheless. Even wax (wax with "cleaners") removes a minute portion of the paint layer, nothing the eye can see though. I did my time in a cleanup shop so that's where I discovered clay bars, way back when you only found em in a professional paint shop. It won't hurt your paint, especially if you use care as I detailed above! Clay bars are awesome! Just wax with a good carnauba immediately afterwards as it DOES remove all your wax along with the nasty stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread