Classic Mustang Owners, help me help my Dad

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
I'm looking for some direction when it comes to restoring a classic mustang. My Dad has a 1965 with a 302 in it and its a good solid car, paint is original and doesnt look bad. Main thing is the engine. It runs fine but it doesnt look too great, the hoses are mismatched and it just needs some freshening up. Do they make a replacement hose kit? Are there any good classic mustang forums? I'm also trying to find out some information for him about doing a tranny swap. It currently has an automatic in it but he wants to swap it out for a manual. Any info would be great or a shove in the right direction would be helpful too. Thanks!

c48c3bd8.jpg

amorrow

Established Member
Replacement hoses are available at any Mustang warehouse (NPD, Glazier Nolan, Virginia Classic Mustang, CJ Pony Parts are some of the popular ones). I'm not aware of a kit, but I imagine you're looking for an upper radiator, lower radiator, PCV, and heater hoses - and they have versions that are nearly identical to what was original, right down to the FoMoCo logos where applicable.

Auto to manual trans swaps are common, just searching vintage forums will provide you all the information you need. You also have options, as the 4-speed Toploader is always a sound trans choice, but there are relatively straightforward 5-speed overdrive swaps as well. And conversion parts are plentiful - both in new reproduction and used OEM. In fact, I have some of the bracketry you'll need if you plan to use a mechanical linkage, as I took new and restored parts off my '65 when I switched to a hydraulic clutch setup.

Regarding forums, start with vintage-mustang.com (VMF) and stangnet.com.

Good luck! The classics are a blast, both working on them and driving them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread