Class action lawsuit of the MT82

08mojo

Established Member
Pretty dumb:

• $5M in damages...if Ford pays out, how much would an individual get?
  • "Transmission slips, jerks..." Ummm, what? How does that work on a manual?
  • Originally filed in CA...what a surprise

I had a 2012, 2014 and 2016 all with the MT82. No issues for me, but I am aware that many have had problems. Most, from my recollection, were from high rpm shifts. I remember this being clutch related more than the mt82 itself.

Regardless, I wish there was a definitive answer and updated parts. No one wins in a class action except the lawyers that filed the claim looking for a payday.

IA Shelby

Established Member
Ambulance chasers looking to make a quick buck. 1/3 of any settlement goes to the attorneys. So each owner gets $50. That will do nothing to fixing the issue or replacing with a better Tremec solution.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Pretty dumb:

• $5M in damages...if Ford pays out, how much would an individual get?
  • "Transmission slips, jerks..." Ummm, what? How does that work on a manual?
  • Originally filed in CA...what a surprise

I had a 2012, 2014 and 2016 all with the MT82. No issues for me, but I am aware that many have had problems. Most, from my recollection, were from high rpm shifts. I remember this being clutch related more than the mt82 itself.

Regardless, I wish there was a definitive answer and updated parts. No one wins in a class action except the lawyers that filed the claim looking for a payday.

the clutch setup certainly didn’t help that box, but some of the parts were really inadequate, flimsy shift forks and nylon shift pads/dogs, plastic shift stop....the gears themselves are pretty robust. Calimer addresses the forks by welding them up, switching shift pads to machine tool quality bronze and billet steel shift stop...

08mojo

Established Member
Ford settled on the Focus DCT transmission a few month ago. 30mil settlement.

Sounds like they used the same wording from that lawsuit and copied/pasted it on the MT82 lawsuit. Ford deserved to lose their ass on the Focus DCT--it was flat out dangerous. MT82 is shit, but I think it's fine if you're not chasing an ET or upset when it fails behind a boosted coyote.

IA Shelby

Established Member
Sounds like they used the same wording from that lawsuit and copied/pasted it on the MT82 lawsuit. Ford deserved to lose their ass on the Focus DCT--it was flat out dangerous. MT82 is shit, but I think it's fine if you're not chasing an ET or upset when it fails behind a boosted coyote.
30 million was a joke for that level of screw up. Completely different level of impact. Fraud is very hard to prove as it requires evidence of malicious intent and wrongdoing. The intent is what makes it difficult. Lawyers wanted a quick 10 million payday as to having this drag out 5 years with no guarantees.

Fat Boss

Established Member
I"m on my third MT82. All have been great. The first one was in a Boss 302 and was flawless. The second was also a Boss 302 but needed the RST clutch to be flawless. My current one is in the supercharged Coyote GT350 and is flawless, but I don't know what clutch Shelby put into it. Maybe I'm lucky.

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
Only issues I've had with my MT82 have been clutch lockouts. Since I'm dragging my ass on the transmission swap, I'm still using the stock MT82 and clutch. I don't power shift it either so....

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
who's really to blame? ford or getrag? did for actually design the transmission or getrag and ford just approved it? of course, ford continuing to use the problematic transmission. it seems everyone and their mother, all over the country, knows about the trans issues. it shouldnt fail on a stock vehicle.

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
Ford in the day wanted to partner/own Ferrari. Now they want to snuggle with the Chi-coms. Design Obsolescence, learn it people! It's everywhere.

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
who's really to blame? ford or getrag? did for actually design the transmission or getrag and ford just approved it? of course, ford continuing to use the problematic transmission. it seems everyone and their mother, all over the country, knows about the trans issues. it shouldnt fail on a stock vehicle.
It's a Getrag design licensed by Ford.

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
I think I should point out that there isn't anything wrong with the MT82 itself, but poorly designed shifter and clutch, which were not Getrag designs.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member

Even in stock , masses lock outs, that should not happen on a stock car. 11-14 5th gear took a dump, ect. Ford refused to fix the real issue whuch continues even on the 2020.

Users who are viewing this thread