Clanging driving me nuts!

nrmustang

Established Member
So not too long ago I lowered my car with M5300L springs and a Maximum Motorsports adjustable panhard rod with spherical ends.

Now ever since then, it has a light "clanging" sound at low speeds (like 5 mph). When I had the car aligned, they put wrenches on the whole front end that I touched, and said all was good. And the rear is just the shock mounts and sway bar, which are tight.

There are no driveability issues/vibrations. So has anyone else had this problem? Is it the spherical bushings somehow? Also, if you have this bar, do you notice a bit more NVH?

Thanks

54First

Grouchy Old Guy
Established Member
Need more info. Which end is it coming from? Is it random or cyclical? Does it happen over bumps or only flat ground? Any other hints?

Also, a Panhard with spherical bushings will transmit more NVH than with poly bushings, but I don't think it would cause clanging.

Steve

nrmustang

Established Member
Well, its a random sound that's not triggered by bumps. It sounds like an aluminum baseball bat lightly being dragged or dinged on the ground. However, I've been under thing thing for the last couple weeks. Nothing loose, nothing dragging. I even put a torque wrench on the whole rear end when I did my LCA relo brackets last Thursday, and nothing.

The NVH is not the concern. It's not NVH.

shelby2

Established Member
Did you put an after market exhaust on the car? Especially Magnaflow? If so check the pipe bend that starts to clear the rear end, if tips are pulled out a little to far it will hit (barely but just enough to make an occasional clang) you'll be able to see the mark when your under it with a bright flashlight. Had this happen like 3 different times, since I keep building and taking apart my car. The first time took forever to find the noise.
Mark

nrmustang

Established Member
Did you put an after market exhaust on the car? Especially Magnaflow? If so check the pipe bend that starts to clear the rear end, if tips are pulled out a little to far it will hit (barely but just enough to make an occasional clang) you'll be able to see the mark when your under it with a bright flashlight. Had this happen like 3 different times, since I keep building and taking apart my car. The first time took forever to find the noise.
Mark

That's a good suggestion. It did come with an axle back when I bought it. However, there was no clang before the PH swap, and now there is. I will look at this though, as I'm open to all possible causes.

Thanks

54First

Grouchy Old Guy
Established Member
What you've done by lowering is putting body mounted parts (like exhaust) closer to suspension related parts. Shelby2 could be right even without exhaust changes. Also check the exhaust near the panhard brace above the panhard rod. If you were to tap the panhard bar or the driveshaft lightly with a screwdriver it will probably cause a similar sound although I don't see how they would be a cause.

Steve

Last edited:

nrmustang

Established Member
What you've done by lowering is putting body mounted parts (like exhaust) closer to suspension related parts. Shelby2 could be right even without exhaust changes. Also check the exhaust near the panhard brace above the panhard rod. If you were to tap the panhard bar or the driveshaft lightly with a screwdriver it will probably cause a similar sound although I don't see how they would be a cause.

Steve

Thanks for your input Steve. I completely understand the dynamics of lowering a car. Just slipped my mind to look at the exhaust. When I get a chance, i'll climb under there.

fullboogie

Established Member
Also take a look at the exhaust hangers on the midpipe, as they often will hit the tranny crossmember.

Users who are viewing this thread