Claiming Sexual Harassment: The new weapon for women?

Great Asp

Established Member
Premium Member
I used to administer a $100 mech/electrical test for prospective employees, I found that "most" fell into two groups.

Group A: Had the requisite understanding of mechanical and or electrical principles and aptitude (10%)
Group B: Had no idea of even how a toaster worked. (80%)

Now I ask simple questions before we buy a test. The following are REAL questions and answers in interviews:

APPLICANT STATED THEY HAVE A MECHANICAL APTITUDE
Q: You drove here today in a Honda?
A: Yes
Q: Do you know how many cylinders your Honda's engine has?
A: 4
Q: Do you know what is inside each cylinder?
A: Is this part of the job I am applying for?
Q: No, not really but it gives me an idea of what you know
A: No, I don't know what is in each cylinder..
Q: A piston
A: I was going to say that!

APPLICANT STATED THEY HAVE A ELECTRCAL APTITUDE
Q: See that outlet over there?
A: yes
Q: Do you know how many volts are typical of an outlet?
A: yes, 400 amps
Q: No, there are not 400 amps, and I asked about volts
A: It's the same thing
Q; No it's not (chuckle)
A: I do not mean to be smart, but it has 400 amps
Q: Thanks for coming in...

Back on topic.

You can ask all the questions you want, but you can not read minds. People can mislead you, and they can have an agenda.

My point above is that there is a liability to hiring a woman into a position where the owner (by the nature of the work) could be accused without evidence or corroboration. My experience is that simply being accused is damaging. I don't think most owners will state it, but it would not surprise me that #metoo ends up hurting women's employment opportunities.

E

Zemedici

Established Member
I used to administer a $100 mech/electrical test for prospective employees, I found that "most" fell into two groups.

Group A: Had the requisite understanding of mechanical and or electrical principles and aptitude (10%)

Now I ask simple questions before we buy a test. The following are REAL questions and answers in interviews:

Q; No it's not (chuckle)

Back on topic.

You can ask all the questions you want, but you can not read minds. People can mislead you, and they can have an agenda.

My point above is that there is a liability to hiring a woman into a position where the owner (by the nature of the work) could be accused without evidence or corroboration. My experience is that simply being accused is damaging. I don't think most owners will state it, but it would not surprise me that #metoo ends up hurting women's employment opportunities.

E

what women don't get is #metoo and #feminism actually hurts women, as it makes the division between men and women that much larger. We want to close that gap, not make it wider.

giggity.

CV355

_
Established Member

Kabingo.

I've had people wander in, ask for a manager, and I ask what it is concerning. They go "looking for a job."
"Oh, well I can help with that. What skills and aptitude do you have?"
"I can do an'thing."
"Ok, can you program a robot?"
"I ain't know, pro'lly."
"Hold on one second..."
...and I'd go get the general manager, say "we have a qualified candidate in the lobby looking to speak with you." He'd perk right up, go out, and I'd beeline for the opposite end of the hallway. He'd come back after 30 seconds and go "you really need to stop doing that."

While on that topic, we were given a very strict set of new rules for interviewing (Especially for women).

• No writing notes on resumes
  • No asking about hobbies/interests even if they are related to the position
  • Must use the term "candidate," cannot use any pronouns
  • Cannot answer any questions that can be misconstrued as fraudulent inducement
The list goes on and on and on. They're afraid that someone may sue because they didn't get a job.

Zemedici

Established Member
Kabingo.

I've had people wander in, ask for a manager, and I ask what it is concerning. They go "looking for a job."
"Oh, well I can help with that. What skills and aptitude do you have?"
"I can do an'thing."
"Ok, can you program a robot?"
"I ain't know, pro'lly."
"Hold on one second..."
...and I'd go get the general manager, say "we have a qualified candidate in the lobby looking to speak with you." He'd perk right up, go out, and I'd beeline for the opposite end of the hallway. He'd come back after 30 seconds and go "you really need to stop doing that."

love how they gotta look for management right off the bat. Come in without a resume, in a T shirt and flip flops.

yessir, right this way to our CEO.

CV355

_
Established Member
love how they gotta look for management right off the bat. Come in without a resume, in a T shirt and flip flops.

yessir, right this way to our CEO.

Nailed it. We actually had some backwoods hillbilly walk in with torn jean shorts, flip-flops, a completely stained tank top, old band-aids on his forearm, and a shop rag over his shoulder. He was one of the "referrals" I made to the GM. We all thought it was hilarious.

Now, don't get me wrong. If they come in that way and absolutely blow us away with breadth and depth of applicable knowledge, I'd pull them aside and tell them to fill an application and come back prepared for an interview. Now I am told I can't do that anymore.

I had some ~21 year old guy do a phone interview for an internship a few years back. He was in a panic and talked crap about his current workplace for an hour. I wrote him an email afterwards stating "I believe you were stressed, which contributed to an ineffective interview. I would like to extend an invitation for an on-site interview. My advice would be to refrain from speaking negatively about your current employer- let's start with a blank slate." The guy came in and did the same routine and didn't get the position. I was later told that I can't give any sort of feedback even given the circumstances. My response was that the internship program is for students to learn the industry- the feedback was constructive. If it was for a full-time position, the feedback would obviously be unacceptable. Nope, still got told not to do it. Good to know I can't help a college student. I later got an email from the candidate thanking me for being honest with him.

I try to go through life giving advice on what not to do based on personal experience. If I can save someone from making a mistake I've made, I'll do it. Some understand, some need to experience it for themselves. If someone that I advised becomes more successful than I am in shorter time, it makes my day, honestly. Unfortunately, the window of interaction is becoming narrower these days.

Zemedici

Established Member
Nailed it. We actually had some backwoods hillbilly walk in with torn jean shorts, flip-flops, a completely stained tank top, old band-aids on his forearm, and a shop rag over his shoulder. He was one of the "referrals" I made to the GM. We all thought it was hilarious.

Now, don't get me wrong. If they come in that way and absolutely blow us away with breadth and depth of applicable knowledge, I'd pull them aside and tell them to fill an application and come back prepared for an interview. Now I am told I can't do that anymore.

I had some ~21 year old guy do a phone interview for an internship a few years back. He was in a panic and talked crap about his current workplace for an hour. I wrote him an email afterwards stating "I believe you were stressed, which contributed to an ineffective interview. I would like to extend an invitation for an on-site interview. My advice would be to refrain from speaking negatively about your current employer- let's start with a blank slate." The guy came in and did the same routine and didn't get the position. I was later told that I can't give any sort of feedback even given the circumstances. My response was that the internship program is for students to learn the industry- the feedback was constructive. If it was for a full-time position, the feedback would obviously be unacceptable. Nope, still got told not to do it. Good to know I can't help a college student. I later got an email from the candidate thanking me for being honest with him.

I try to go through life giving advice on what not to do based on personal experience. If I can save someone from making a mistake I've made, I'll do it. Some understand, some need to experience it for themselves. If someone that I advised becomes more successful than I am in shorter time, it makes my day, honestly. Unfortunately, the window of interaction is becoming narrower these days.

same way I am, seems to backfire more and more, almost to the point where I don't enjoy helping people anymore because it will always come back to bite me, or I will give people the right answers, and they still do whatever the **** they wanna do anyway.

CV355

_
Established Member
same way I am, seems to backfire more and more, almost to the point where I don't enjoy helping people anymore because it will always come back to bite me, or I will give people the right answers, and they still do whatever the **** they wanna do anyway.

Those are called Ask-holes. Sometimes they do it for plausible deniability (another term I friggin' hate). "Oh well I asked so-n-so what to do and he said do this." Uh, yeah, I did give advice- you chose to go a different direction.

Not saying I'm always right. When I started in my career, I had no "wins" under my belt and I second guessed every decision I made. After a few wins, and a few losses, I learned that humility heals a lot more than shirking responsibility. "I was wrong, here's why" shows others that you're not afraid to take responsibility, and share a learning experience. With more experience came more confidence, but it takes a balance. My old boss called it "humble pie." Confidence builds before ability, and people always wind up eating that pie.

There have been times where I strongly cautioned someone to stop what they were doing and proceed with the direction I wanted. It took 3 attempts before I finally said "at this point, I am no longer recommending. You need to trust me and correct course on this. I understand and can appreciate your thought process on this, but you need to do as I am asking in this scenario." You have to tiptoe these days. The stuff my first boss got away with doesn't fly anymore. Grabbing someone by the collar and pushing them out the door is a surefire way to have a lawsuit.

Zemedici

Established Member
Those are called Ask-holes. Sometimes they do it for plausible deniability (another term I friggin' hate). "Oh well I asked so-n-so what to do and he said do this." Uh, yeah, I did give advice- you chose to go a different direction.

Not saying I'm always right. When I started in my career, I had no "wins" under my belt and I second guessed every decision I made. After a few wins, and a few losses, I learned that humility heals a lot more than shirking responsibility. "I was wrong, here's why" shows others that you're not afraid to take responsibility, and share a learning experience. With more experience came more confidence, but it takes a balance. My old boss called it "humble pie." Confidence builds before ability, and people always wind up eating that pie.

There have been times where I strongly cautioned someone to stop what they were doing and proceed with the direction I wanted. It took 3 attempts before I finally said "at this point, I am no longer recommending. You need to trust me and correct course on this. I understand and can appreciate your thought process on this, but you need to do as I am asking in this scenario." You have to tiptoe these days. The stuff my first boss got away with doesn't fly anymore. Grabbing someone by the collar and pushing them out the door is a surefire way to have a lawsuit.

See...down here the old school methods still work. There's a few people that would sue, but they're few and far between. Askholes seem more and more prominent.

Got plenty of acquaintances (very few friends, most are on this forum) that bitch about not making shit for money, working long hours, etc.

I tell them where to go, who to talk to, what to say, to double or triple their pay.

'Yeah but I'm TIIIIIIIIRED'

or some other bullshit excuse.

So I stopped wasting my time. And I shut down people bitching 'If you're going to present a problem, come up with a solution. Otherwise you're part of the problem'

People don't like when you get real with them. Oh well.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
See...down here the old school methods still work. There's a few people that would sue, but they're few and far between. Askholes seem more and more prominent.

Got plenty of acquaintances (very few friends, most are on this forum) that bitch about not making shit for money, working long hours, etc.

I tell them where to go, who to talk to, what to say, to double or triple their pay.

'Yeah but I'm TIIIIIIIIRED'

or some other bullshit excuse.

So I stopped wasting my time. And I shut down people bitching 'If you're going to present a problem, come up with a solution. Otherwise you're part of the problem'

Yep, life is tough, and you're going to be tired at times. Welcome to the jungle of life.

Sent from my [trashcan S5] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

CV355

_
Established Member

Over the last year, I posted a few "I need help" threads in the lounge. Some of the responses were constructive, others weren't. Man I didn't like some of it, but it was all true- mostly perspective. The problems didn't magically go away, but accepting what people were telling me did help. Hearing "you're not in control, you'll never be in control" was an epiphany. Not trying to sound like some shining example here, but if you ask for advice, at least consider it, right?

Relating it back to the #Metoo movement, there is a lot of legitimacy. How many cases are caused by wrong place wrong time? Not victim blaming, but don't put yourself in a bad situation. It doesn't absolve the crime by any means. If I had a daughter, and I knew she was trying to sneak off to drinking parties at 15, you bet I'd lock her in a room full of college textbooks and say "enjoy, here's your party." Next, let's talk with some police and EMTs who have seen the effects- nice fun scare tactic. There's a reason I don't drink at all- the first two years of working was primarily around drunks. No. Thank. You.

How many of us have fallen into a situation that could have been avoided by better decisions on our part? I've had things stolen from me, and I was partially responsible because I was an idiot and left them in the open.

Zemedici

Established Member
Yep, life is tough, and you're going to be tired at times. Welcome to the jungle of life.

#IDontGetTired

Over the last year, I posted a few "I need help" threads in the lounge. Some of the responses were constructive, others weren't. Man I didn't like some of it, but it was all true- mostly perspective. The problems didn't magically go away, but accepting what people were telling me did help. Hearing "you're not in control, you'll never be in control" was an epiphany. Not trying to sound like some shining example here, but if you ask for advice, at least consider it, right?

Relating it back to the #Metoo movement, there is a lot of legitimacy. How many cases are caused by wrong place wrong time? Not victim blaming, but don't put yourself in a bad situation. It doesn't absolve the crime by any means. If I had a daughter, and I knew she was trying to sneak off to drinking parties at 15, you bet I'd lock her in a room full of college textbooks and say "enjoy, here's your party." Next, let's talk with some police and EMTs who have seen the effects- nice fun scare tactic. There's a reason I don't drink at all- the first two years of working was primarily around drunks. No. Thank. You.

How many of us have fallen into a situation that could have been avoided by better decisions on our part? I've had things stolen from me, and I was partially responsible because I was an idiot and left them in the open.

And see, my parents took me to parties and dropped me off when I was 15-16, I think since they gave me free reign to do what I wanted, it diminished the fun value for me.

I'd rather be making money / working than drinking anyway. Maybe I'm weird. lololol

The #MeToo Movement, would scare me if I was an employer, I would seriously rethink hiring women....you cannot be alone with them EVER, in ANY situation, or these allegations may arise.

Hell they may arise even if you aren't. Look at Kavanaugh.

CV355

_
Established Member
#IDontGetTired

And see, my parents took me to parties and dropped me off when I was 15-16, I think since they gave me free reign to do what I wanted, it diminished the fun value for me.

I'd rather be making money / working than drinking anyway. Maybe I'm weird. lololol

The #MeToo Movement, would scare me if I was an employer, I would seriously rethink hiring women....you cannot be alone with them EVER, in ANY situation, or these allegations may arise.

Hell they may arise even if you aren't. Look at Kavanaugh.

My folks encouraged me to go to parties and hang out with people (not drinking parties, but like video games parties and cookouts) but I never did. I was never very social. Early on I realized that most social functions are excuses to drink heavily for most people. Even Kavanaugh said that superbowl parties are just that.

I went to one high school dance, got treated like crap, winged a few slices of pizza at people on the dance floor and left. Figure being 12 in high school was loads of fun anyways

Ohio Snake

Established Member

Q; No it's not (chuckle)

Back on topic.

E

You listed two group: 10% in group A and 80% in group B. What happened to the other 10%? Just wondering.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Great Asp

Established Member
Premium Member
You listed two group: 10% in group A and 80% in group B. What happened to the other 10%? Just wondering.....

They fell in between. Good mechanical, but no electrical, or vice-versa. We had one guy that gave me a capstone answer to how many volts the outlet has, but when I asked if he changed his own headlight fluid, he responded "no, I have the dealership do it when they change my oil"

True story, I have dozens of dumb answers.

E

Ohio Snake

Established Member
They fell in between. Good mechanical, but no electrical, or vice-versa. We had one guy that gave me a capstone answer to how many volts the outlet has, but when I asked if he changed his own headlight fluid, he responded "no, I have the dealership do it when they change my oil"

E

I see now. Love that headlight fluid...lol

jeffh81

Here’s KingBlack
Established Member
This has always been a woman’s weapon in my experience. Its just that it has gone huge because of social media and the ability to broadcast how much they won. Women will always find a way to get what they want and in this day and age of victimhood don’t be the one they accuse. You are guilty until they decide they have not enough evidence to prove your guilt.

Women use their sex to get them what they want their entire lives. A woman doesn’t have to pay for the date because it is customary for the man to pay regardless of how much she ordered. The woman will lie and get pregnant just so she doesn’t have to work, but you will work and pay. They use their sex to “move up the ladder” no chance for you buddy.

The best thing a man can do is take the Pence approach. I mean that by being careful what you say at all times and don’t allow yourself to be were it comes down to “he said she said”.

I love women and am married to one myself, but never forget that they rule this place and it is our job to find the key to opening the golden gates. That is until the sex robots take over and then we are free

# He too

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member

E
If you ask me dumb questions, you are likely to get a dumb answer back for my own entertainment.

VegasMichael

Established Member
With all the mind games, mood swings and psychological torture women have inflicted upon men for centuries we should launch our own #metoo movement and use that as a weapon.

Users who are viewing this thread