CJ manifold and E85, who has most NA power?

Elnrownr

4.slow
Established Member
Cj is sitting on my counters new motor is broken in I'll schedule an install asap

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Man of few words :)
500rwhp NA is very good.
Graph?
-J
I want to know, so onto quoting myself :)
I was hoping more guys were doing nasty NA Voodoo builds. It's so close to maximized from factory, it really needs special mods.
500+rwhp NA from just 5.2L is great.
-J

OCPony

I want to know, so onto quoting myself :)
I was hoping more guys were doing nasty NA Voodoo builds. It's so close to maximized from factory, it really needs special mods.
500+rwhp NA from just 5.2L is great.
-J

I built one of the first 5.2L Voodoo motors with the Ford CPC and Conversion cams with same spec as the Voodoo motors. We just upgraded to the CJ and twin 65 TB with FR CAI. We made 530 WHP and 438 Torque... SAE on a tight Dyno. Not a Dyno Jet. It is a Road race car build. I just turned 40 K mile on the 2016 GT PP car with 27K miles on the motor. It also makes 400 torque as low as 3200 rpm and holds it just past 7K! Motor can turn 8400RPM and has two race seasons on it now. I built just before SEMA 2016. I got the first set of 5.2 Heads available to the public 3 weeks before SEMA. I had already built the short block and was waiting for the heads that were 4 weeks delayed.
#Code_Blu IG Aceone_Performance

sumfoo1

Established Member
I built one of the first 5.2L Voodoo motors with the Ford CPC and Conversion cams with same spec as the Voodoo motors. We just upgraded to the CJ and twin 65 TB with FR CAI. We made 530 WHP and 438 Torque... SAE on a tight Dyno. Not a Dyno Jet. It is a Road race car build. I just turned 40 K mile on the 2016 GT PP car with 27K miles on the motor. It also makes 400 torque as low as 3200 rpm and holds it just past 7K! Motor can turn 8400RPM and has two race seasons on it now. I built just before SEMA 2016. I got the first set of 5.2 Heads available to the public 3 weeks before SEMA. I had already built the short block and was waiting for the heads that were 4 weeks delayed.
#Code_Blu IG Aceone_Performance

E85 or pump?

sumfoo1

Established Member
sooo... you aren't going to track the car i guess.

if you don't track the car get the gt and cnc port the heads.
My reference was that its kinda weak in comparison to a car (11-17 5.0 GT) that cost half as much (base model) with the same intake swap/tuning. Dont get me wrong I love the GT350s just always disappointed at the output.

the reasons i got the shelby weren't the power.

It was
1. the chassis
2. the sound
3. the transmission

If you want shear speed. the gen 3 coyote with a 10 speed destroys a shelby stock 0-60

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
While I agree head porting (and maybe cams) would be nice, if he's not tracking the car then this seems like an expensive proposition for moderate gains. For the money involved in parts and labor FI seems like a better investment.

I eventually made 422whp with a dyno tune, full CJ intake and Kooks headers on a Gen1. Heads would be the next logical investment but 3k+ just for the heads and almost 2k for a complete cam kit. Plus misc. parts and installation. It's really hard to justify for maybe 60-70whp with cams when all is said and done. Not that a CJ intake is a cheap investment either, but at least that can easily be taken off and sold without much effort.

I'll save for a Shelby instead :)

ANGREY

Established Member
While I agree head porting (and maybe cams) would be nice, if he's not tracking the car then this seems like an expensive proposition for moderate gains. For the money involved in parts and labor FI seems like a better investment.

I eventually made 422whp with a dyno tune, full CJ intake and Kooks headers on a Gen1. Heads would be the next logical investment but 3k+ just for the heads and almost 2k for a complete cam kit. Plus misc. parts and installation. It's really hard to justify for maybe 60-70whp with cams when all is said and done. Not that a CJ intake is a cheap investment either, but at least that can easily be taken off and sold without much effort.

I'll save for a Shelby instead :)
Porting GT (mustang) heads isn't really sensible given the 350 heads. A set of fairly aggressive ported GT heads flows about the same as the base 350 heads.

One would be better off to just buy 350 heads and a 5.2 block, which can be done for only slightly more than the head work on 5.0 heads. Swapping cams to a CPC set costs a little more, but I'm assuming anyone who's porting the heads would be doing that anyway so the cost there is a wash.

Even my standard size valves in my 350 heads (ported) flows 380, which blows the doors off any set of 5.0 heads. The 350 heads just start off a bigger platform.

I'd love to see a max effort 5.2 build with max cooling (killer chiller or methanol kit) to see how much power could be wrung out, but as others have pointed out, we'll probably never see it because it'd be significantly more expensive than just adding a stage 1 kit and perform markedly less.

If I had to venture, I'd say a max build (CJ, cams, port and polish with upgrades to valvetrain, headers, exhaust, methanol injection or killer chiller) could probably see 570-580 to the wheels if revved to 9k on E85 and max timing with cool air charge.

That would equate to about 640-650 at the crank. Over 2 hp/cube. While it would be impressive, it would be akin to a $500k double wide, upgraded mobile home. Sure it's nice, but one would be better off just buying a $500k new deliberate home.

96gt02

Established Member
sooo... you aren't going to track the car i guess.

if you don't track the car get the gt and cnc port the heads.

the reasons i got the shelby weren't the power.

It was
1. the chassis
2. the sound
3. the transmission

If you want shear speed. the gen 3 coyote with a 10 speed destroys a shelby stock 0-60
Ironically since making that post 3 years ago, Ive since bought and sold my GT350 for much of the same reasons I complained about here, just prefer my GT500 and Cobra since yes I do not track any of them

ANGREY

Established Member

Not as encouraging or drastic as many might expect. 521 to the wheels on E85 with the CJ and pretty much max effort without the cams and port/polish. Obviously that's no cooling either.

Hard to believe that cams and port/polish and methanol would pick up another 50 horsepower, but I'd say a full max'd out effort would be somewhere in the 550-570 range.

With a severe diet (carbon fiber everything, light(est) wheels, CF driveshaft, rear seat deletes, titanium lugs, battery relocation and LiOn battery, Steeda/BMR K-member, Maybe even some carbon ceramic brakes) and 550 to the wheel, it could be pretty nasty. I'd venture it could trap somewhere close to 130 in good DA.

At the end of the day, all that would cost substantially more than just slapping a stage 1 blower or turbo kit on the car and still perform markedly less. Which is probably why we haven't seen it attempted. The guy in the video even says, it's not worth the money or the hassle.

Users who are viewing this thread