Civilian contractor opportunities

moddestmike

2 Degrees/Still Confused
Established Member
So I'm entertaining an offer to deploy to Kuwait or Afghanistan for a defense contractor and looking for opinions on your experience. I'll have more details once I get more information and am allowed to say more I guess....

I know there are tons of military guys on here so I figure I'd ask. The gig is for a network engineering position.

Stanger00

Established Member
It's the same as a deployment except you make 150-200k in a year. What is there to think about? I did a civilian contract job in 2010 after I got out of the Air Force and have no regrets.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Be sure to check on taxes. Some of what you do may be taxable and some not. The last I heard, something like up to 90k could be earned untaxed. But you should check with a tax professional about the contract and what that may mean for you.

My dad sent several guys to Iraq when he still owned his Aircraft business. The guys loved it and made a butt ton of money.

moddestmike

2 Degrees/Still Confused
Established Member
Be sure to check on taxes. Some of what you do may be taxable and some not. The last I heard, something like up to 90k could be earned untaxed. But you should check with a tax professional about the contract and what that may mean for you.

My dad sent several guys to Iraq when he still owned his Aircraft business. The guys loved it and made a butt ton of money.

Tax exemption goes up to 98k now so anything over that is taxable income. I'm mainly interested in information around vacationing, leaving for emergencies (not that I forsee such), interaction with locals, women (lol I know these arent the best locals for dating but...)

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Tax exemption goes up to 98k now so anything over that is taxable income. I'm mainly interested in information around vacationing, leaving for emergencies (not that I forsee such), interaction with locals, women (lol I know these arent the best locals for dating but...)

Right. Every contract position is probably going to be different. I know the guys my dad sent were there for 6 months and didn't really have time to do anything but work and sleep.

Stanger00

Established Member
Only locals I seen were army guard and seabees. Vacation depends on the company. I did 12 month tour and got a paid 2 week vacation. No days off but we worked in 1 day off every 10 days when we were stacked with people.

The tax break comes when you file taxes and you have to be overseas for a minimum of 330 days to qualify. I paid taxes the whole time I was there except for my last 3 paychecks and then I got an awesome kicker when I filed taxes.

Plan to put your personal life on hold while you are out there.

Last edited:

chrisheltra

Established Member
Dont bother going to Kuwait and if you do go to Afghan I wouldn't bank on being there a year. Usually you get two weeks vacation at the 6 month mark and the company will pay for your flights. Getting back home is really simple you just have to have patients and time and let your company know whats going on so they can make any commercial flight arrangements you may need.

You may have some interaction with local nationals that work on base but outside of that you wont see many. Its very doubtful that your company will allow you to go outside the wire. Girls are everywhere. A lot of them are DTF but there are rules in place that state there is no fraternization amongst others things that aren't allowed. Many have gotten away with it and others have gotten caught. One reason I never got with anybody is because I didn't think my massive paycheck was worth losing over some poon. You will receive training on the do's and dont's before they will allow you to leave the country.

Just make sure you pay your taxes. Dont be like those guys that go over there and stop having taxes taken from their checks. Let them take it out and sort it all out at tax season.

Jebadias

Established Member
The position is inside the wire? I would do it. I even thought real hard about going back as a contractor doing line haul outside the wire. The guys they sent out with us were always in top notch equipment and didn't have to do anything but drive. The only thing that really would bother me would be being unarmed but I don't see that as a problem on any decent size base.

Poppacapp

Established Member
Watch out for that Arab woman who baits you to her leaders and they kidnap you. :bored:

Para81

Established Member
My advice? Do it. Go make a ton of cash and get out of there. Put aside your thoughts about women, booze or anything else, plan on all the fun being on hold for a while but it's worth it.

You're very lucky to get a position there too, it's becoming extremely difficult to get these contracts and it's also becoming much less lucrative. (There are a few remaining highly lucrative gigs, but it's full capacity for the most part).

Last edited:

truefiveo

Established Member
Good luck with an Afghanistan gig we are closing bases left and right.
Looks like Iraq gigs will be around longer actually.

clbailey

Established Member
Im in Jalalabad right now on a contract with AECOM and were being taken over by DynCorp. Its a job, 12 hrs a day, crappy conditions but the pay is worth it. Internet is fairly plentiful and like everyone said, put aside any notion of a stateside life over here. As long as you have a good group its easy. Better come out here now before these contracts disappear...

Don't forget about IDF, we get hit at least once a week.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
There is certainly at least a small level of risk, but it's small if you're smart and obey the rules. They're in place for good reason. The good money you'll earn will later make you happy you did it. JMO.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
So I'm entertaining an offer to deploy to Kuwait or Afghanistan for a defense contractor and looking for opinions on your experience. I'll have more details once I get more information and am allowed to say more I guess....

I know there are tons of military guys on here so I figure I'd ask. The gig is for a network engineering position.

If Dave can do it anyone can.

I would ask him on his recent trips. Kuwait has all your modern luxuries available, they live on the internet. Afg is rough and getting items can be challenging. I hope you can live without pork.

With the draw down security in Afg is bringing new challenges, the potential for insider attacks will go up from all I can predict. We need to do a better job of vetting to balance those attacks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Oceanside78

Established Member
I want to do this so bad. I just got out of the military and work is tight, school is boring. Who are you guys with? Was it a long process?

truefiveo

Established Member
I want to do this so bad. I just got out of the military and work is tight, school is boring. Who are you guys with? Was it a long process?

Its harder to get picked up now as compared to back in the earlier years.
Bases are drawing down and companies aren't exactly aggressively calling to hire folks like they used to. Back then you applied and got calls, offers and emails that same week. These days more and more unemployed expats are knocking down thier doors for these jobs, so they aren't as needy to fill positions.
Back in the day I remember being picked up from the airport in a Lincoln Towncar and the company providing me a nice exec suite in the Hilton.
Now most of these companies got smart and cheap realizing they could just herd you like cattle through the hiring process, because there are a ton of expats wanting the gig.

Also depends on what type of job your applying for to determine the companies available.
Other than the risks these gigs are great for recently separated servicemen and women to get a financial advantage in this crappy economy.
Pay off bills, fix credit and meanwhile search for employment while overseas without the need to rush and settle for a job you really don't care for and stress about finances.

If Dave can do it anyone can.

I would ask him on his recent trips. Kuwait has all your modern luxuries available, they live on the internet. Afg is rough and getting items can be challenging. I hope you can live without pork.

With the draw down security in Afg is bringing new challenges, the potential for insider attacks will go up from all I can predict. We need to do a better job of vetting to balance those attacks.

Dale I foresee those issues at my FOB especially during the ANA transition.
That's when its time to determine whether to bail out or not.
When the bulk of the US military FOB security pulls out.:eek:

prs97

Established Member
I think Jeremy Stretch from packetlife.net did some contracting overseas. He might be able to offer up some advice.

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread