City job requres applicants to turn over web usernames/passwords

carrrnuttt

My shit don't stink
Established Member
Contrary to any policy that a company might have regarding internet usage, any time spent on personal use is counter productive and costing the company money. It's very simple math actually.

Study: surfing the Internet at work boosts productivity - Ars Technica

:shrug:

I am pretty much on the internet all day, and I have never, ever been late for any goal dates on a project. Not to mention I saved my company about 2 million dollars this year, and potentially a million per year after that.

ModularFan

Established Member
My one job checked to see what forums I was on. they wanted to know how much i know about cars.

j/k

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
Study: surfing the Internet at work boosts productivity - Ars Technica

:shrug:

I am pretty much on the internet all day, and I have never, ever been late for any goal dates on a project. Not to mention I saved my company about 2 million dollars this year, and potentially a million per year after that.
dude, think about it. because you were on the internet, you saved them only $2,000,000 instead of possibly $2,000,010. they should fire your ass, your obviously costing them valuble cash money!!!

Bad Fish

Established Member
I'm in Bozeman and this story has exploded here in the last day. I'd put money down that the city attorney will loose his job, and soon. People around here are pissed. It’s been noted that it’s against the user agreements of MySpace and Facebook to give out your personal password to anyone for any reason. So it might not be “illegal” from the standpoint of the city attorney but you could loose your rights to have an account with MySpace or Facebook by providing this info to the city. All the major news networks (ABC, NBC, CBS, NPR, Etc.) have all contacted the city manager requesting interviews. I watched the city managers interview on local news tonight; it’s obvious he has no idea the shit storm they have unleashed. He was smiling throughout the interview and making up BS excuses as if was no big deal. Personally, I think it’s very illegal and someone is going to sue the living daylights out of the city.

P.S. Bozeman is far from backwoods, but please keep thinking that, we have enough yuppies here already.

Last edited:

fiveohhhstang

Established Member
These kinds of policies the city has implemented are backwoods, insane, and asinine.

To be honest, if there were ever a place that needs to check up on it's citizens like that it's not Bozeman or anywhere in Montana. They are crazy.

Bad Fish

Established Member
These kinds of policies the city has implemented are backwoods, insane, and asinine.

You said "IN Bozeman" and "IN the rest of the country", in which case your use of the word "IN" is a reference to a place, not a reference to a policy implemented by someone or a group. Excellent effort to try and cover your original post by making shit up in your ^^^^^ post. But don't get me wrong, there are some backwoods little towns around here that you definitely wouldn’t want to visit with a California license plate. I've heard some scary stories about locals not taking kindly to Cali plates.

While people may let this fly in back woods Bozeman, I can't see it flying in the rest of the country.

fiveohhhstang

Established Member
You said "IN Bozeman" and "IN the rest of the country", in which case your use of the word "IN" is a reference to a place, not a reference to a policy implemented by someone or a group. Excellent effort to try and cover your original post by making shit up in your ^^^^^ post. But don't get me wrong, there are some backwoods little towns around here that you definitely wouldn’t want to visit with a California license plate. I've heard some scary stories about locals not taking kindly to Cali plates.

Mostly because all the Californians are moving up here and they don't like it. I don't like it either. Big Sky is infested with people from California, Texas and everywhere else.

DomesticAbuse

Established Member
Contrary to any policy that a company might have regarding internet usage, any time spent on personal use is counter productive and costing the company money. It's very simple math actually.

you seem like a wonderful person to work for.
not even what the thread is about and your getting all defense

carrrnuttt

My shit don't stink
Established Member
dude, think about it. because you were on the internet, you saved them only $2,000,000 instead of possibly $2,000,010. they should fire your ass, your obviously costing them valuble cash money!!!

Oh damn. I didn't think of it that way. As a matter of fact, I am consting the company money now, as I am posting this from work!

They're going to dock my salary! :uh oh:

terrible one

American Made
Established Member
The IAFF wouldn't allow it; name three municipalities that are doing that.

Also FD applications are different than general employment applications.

[ame=http://californiafirefighter.com/showthread.php?t=390]Facebook, MySpace and other hiring tips... - CALIFORNIA FIREFIGHTER.com - Your source for media, training and networking[/ame]

read post two. as to exactly which depts are doing it im not sure.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread