City job requres applicants to turn over web usernames/passwords

fiveohhhstang

Established Member
How ironic. I almost applied for the Deputy Fire Marshall position for the city of Bozeman. Good thing I didn't.

Eh, I'd still do it. I just wouldn't fill in the answers to those kinds of questions, same as I don't fill in the race etc. questions.

After we move back I don't ever want to leave there, it is so beautiful.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
hahahaha.

Though when I applied for my current job I made my myspace private till after I was hired...

01SaleenS281

01-459
Established Member
As an employer I would absolutely ban the use of the internet during work hours. There are far too many people surfing the web posting on sites like Facebook, SVT Performance, etc... and being very unproductive.
This is no different than stealing from your employer.
Maybe this is an attempt to be able to track an employees habits.
I in no way agree with what that city is trying to do and do believe it is an invasion of privacy.

Get back to work hypocrite!!! :p

50 Proof

Established Member
As an employer I would absolutely ban the use of the internet during work hours. There are far too many people surfing the web posting on sites like Facebook, SVT Performance, etc... and being very unproductive.

Have you ever worked a salaried position?

If an employee is earning a Salary as opposed to an hourly wage, they are being paid to get the job done, regardless of how many hours it takes them to do it.

If an employees internet habits slow the network down and hinder the ability for a fellow employee to do their job, then that employees internet privileges need to be revoked.

Regardless of how unproductive a salaried employee may appear to be, if the job gets done without limiting the ability for other employees to get their job done too, then you're not stealing from the company.

TERMIN8TR

Established Member
Have you ever worked a salaried position?

Marketing manager for a fortune 500 company, so yes I have.

If an employee is earning a Salary as opposed to an hourly wage, they are being paid to get the job done, regardless of how many hours it takes them to do it.

You are getting paid to get the job done in a "timely" fashion, and then on to the next assignment/project. "Time is money"

If an employees internet habits slow the network down and hinder the ability for a fellow employee to do their job, then that employees internet privileges need to be revoked.

It's not "if" it DEFINATELY slows the work process down, who gives a shit about the network. There is absolutely no need for an employee to be performing any sort of personal tasks on company time. That's what breaks are for right? If the internet wasn't being abused the network overload as you put it would be a non issue.
Again, "Time is money".

Regardless of how unproductive a salaried employee may appear to be, if the job gets done without limiting the ability for other employees to get their job done too, then you're not stealing from the company.

Wrong. Unproductivness = wasted money = stealing. You are being paid a wage to perform your job that you are being compensated for..PERIOD. Your coworkers are also being paid to perform their jobs.

Are you a smoker? How about the smoker vs. non smoker? the guy or girl that goes outside to smoke every 1 hour or so. While the non smoker continues working? What's the difference? Like I said, it is a waste of company money and should not be tolerated.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
if an employee is on the internet then why not just give them more work? simple soloution huh? helps the company out, gets the employee to quit wasting time.

carrrnuttt

My shit don't stink
Established Member
I in no way agree with what that city is trying to do and do believe it is an invasion of privacy.

Study: surfing the Internet at work boosts productivity - Ars Technica

terrible one

American Made
Established Member
Many Fire Dept and Police Dept require you to give usernames and passwords to any and all social sites as well. Its getting more and more popular

Phallen

Trackday Junkie
Established Member
You better believe that they do check your Myspace/Facebook pages, at almost any job now.

So if you're interviewing, clean it up until after you had the job for 3 months or so.

SNCBOOM

Established Member

That's funny coming from the union man.

50 Proof

Established Member
Are you a smoker? How about the smoker vs. non smoker? the guy or girl that goes outside to smoke every 1 hour or so. While the non smoker continues working? What's the difference? Like I said, it is a waste of company money and should not be tolerated.

Unless a company specifically states in their internet usage policy that browsing the internet for non work related purposes is prohibited, then it's fully allowed. The company I work for has an internet usage policy that specifically permits internet usage as long as specific types of websites are not accessed. Before you go ranting opinions that do not apply to everyone here, you might want to attempt to understand that every company's internet usage policy is going to be different than the one for the company you work for. :read:

Sun Devil Cobra

Established Member
Many Fire Dept and Police Dept require you to give usernames and passwords to any and all social sites as well. Its getting more and more popular

The IAFF wouldn't allow it; name three municipalities that are doing that.

Also FD applications are different than general employment applications.

Last edited:

TERMIN8TR

Established Member
Before you go ranting opinions that do not apply to everyone here, you might want to attempt to understand that every company's internet usage policy is going to be different than the one for the company you work for. :read:

Contrary to any policy that a company might have regarding internet usage, any time spent on personal use is counter productive and costing the company money. It's very simple math actually.

Cobra Jet 429

Hot Rod Lincoln
Established Member
My private life is NONE of my employer's business.
All they need to care about is me being on time, getting my job done, and being productive.
What I do after work, or on days I don't work isn't thier concern.

Perfect example Michael Phelps....

and keep your myspace and facebook private...
and if your boss/manager friend requests you, don't accept.
If they ask why, tell them it isn't his or her business.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread