Chuck Snipes Racing IMSA Cobra cars

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Doc,

Thanks for the kind words on my work. It turned out to be a 4yr+ project where I learned, among other things, how to turn my garage into a paint booth. Those years were certainly an adventure, as I personally did everything on the car except rebuild the Multi-Matic dampers (although I did do the struts and spherical bearings at the top).

That car has listened to 1000's of hours of Stevie Ray Vaughan, AC/DC, STP, Evanescence, Seether and many more. Doc is in posession of three big binders of photos that chronicle the entire process (not the music though). Probably some fun stuff to share with other Cobra owners who have never had their cars to the bare uni-body.

Anyway, I'm thrilled to see it move back home. Doc is certainly the right person to drive the snot out of it :pepper:

Give a shout if you get Danica to take off her clothes and lay on the hood, I'll fly down and watch...

Have a blast and give it hell.

Cheers,

Don

Don,

I am glad the car went to a good home.

I am really bummed we never got a chance to get out on track together. I had hoped you would get a chance to go to Tulsa. Oh well...hopefully we will meet up again at a future event.

Tom

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Tom, We just have to get Doc off that wallet and start racing that thing now. I heard he's looking for a sponsor so he can run the annaversey weekend at Charlotte :beer:

Haha....Yes.

I was talking to Ron Bramlett about a month ago about the event and mentioned your name. He said he was going to give you a call. I hadn't started "officially" promoting the event but it will definately be a fun time and I am hoping a bunch of us will be able to make the event. I will be in charge of the Rs and clones. Of course, you professionals have to give us slower wanna-bees plenty of space. I have worked hard to earn the nickname "moving chicane".:beer:

Tom

MICHAEL GRAHAM

I know that you are busy entertaining chicks at the race track. Some guys got it; why not share it with Dick?
View attachment 404867

I bought a new race suit 3 years ago. :-D You'd think that you noticed it in your motorhome (you probably thought it was your client that just bought the ex-Carl Edwards, ex-Jack Roush, #99 Aflac road racing Ford Fusion)? :-D
Mine.
View attachment 404868

Gary,
The Snipes car arrived. No kidding around here. The Snipes car is the real deal. I drove it in the warehouse district. It has quick fueling ability, adjustable front shocks (without opening the hood) and quick rear shock adjustments.

The engine? It has more HP than your other brother, Tim. It also has the excellent finish, fit, and thoughtful presentation of Tim's cars. The #21 is better than excellent.

You should plan to move up your restoration of the #99 of 250 a notch.:beer:

View attachment 404869
View attachment 404870
View attachment 404871

I raised the HP of Michael's storage by X 100 (the deuce coupe, and the new #21): :-D
View attachment 404872
I actually worked for Chuck in the parts dept and we hhad a blast racing i also have some pictures of his 93r 95r and 2000r and pics of the racecars after we painted the blue and orange for budget then painted one that mono color that changes colors and different angles

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
I actually worked for Chuck in the parts dept and we hhad a blast racing i also have some pictures of his 93r 95r and 2000r and pics of the racecars after we painted the blue and orange for budget then painted one that mono color that changes colors and different angles

Micheal,

Please post up those photos. I own the #26 R that was wrecked at Road Atlanta and was parted out.

Tom

PonyXpress001

You guys know that I just bought Don's #21 ex-Chuck Snipes Ford Racing 1995 Cobra R clone.
View attachment 399222

The history: Chuck Snipes was a pioneer in SN95 racing cars. He had a Ford dealership in North Carolina. He decided that it would be a good idea to turn a small fortune into a even smaller fortune. :-D

Here is a picture of three of his cars at Daytona.
View attachment 399223

It turns out that he is a darn good race car driver. It was back in April 1997 that he won the Speedvision Cup race at Road Atlanta. OK, the original Ford winner got disqualified for bending the rules which had the Snipes car with the trophy.

Then it came back and finished on the podium (3rd) in the next year's Road Atlanta Speedvision Race.

It sure looked good at Sebring back in the day:
View attachment 399224

I believe, according to my notes, that Tom has one car (not his T-F car), and Todd owns one.

Please offer anything that you have on the famous Snipes' cars. He also had a Budget sponsorship at his dealership.

I am thinking that the Snipes' cars will be the (legal) faster cars in vintage racing going forward. :read: ;-)

I am working to a Sebring or Road Atlanta vintage early-year race next year.

DJ

P/S Just for you new guys: Ford made 107 1993 Cobra R's, then 250 1995 Cobra R's (with maybe ~20 clones that were raced as Cobra R's), and then 300 2000 Cobra R's. It makes a 1965-1966 Shelby GT350 seem like a mass production car.
Unrelated To His SN95 Cobra R Career
You guys know that I just bought Don's #21 ex-Chuck Snipes Ford Racing 1995 Cobra R clone.
View attachment 399222

The history: Chuck Snipes was a pioneer in SN95 racing cars. He had a Ford dealership in North Carolina. He decided that it would be a good idea to turn a small fortune into a even smaller fortune. :-D

Here is a picture of three of his cars at Daytona.
View attachment 399223

It turns out that he is a darn good race car driver. It was back in April 1997 that he won the Speedvision Cup race at Road Atlanta. OK, the original Ford winner got disqualified for bending the rules which had the Snipes car with the trophy.

Then it came back and finished on the podium (3rd) in the next year's Road Atlanta Speedvision Race.

It sure looked good at Sebring back in the day:
View attachment 399224

I believe, according to my notes, that Tom has one car (not his T-F car), and Todd owns one.

Please offer anything that you have on the famous Snipes' cars. He also had a Budget sponsorship at his dealership.

I am thinking that the Snipes' cars will be the (legal) faster cars in vintage racing going forward. :read: ;-)

I am working to a Sebring or Road Atlanta vintage early-year race next year.

DJ

P/S Just for you new guys: Ford made 107 1993 Cobra R's, then 250 1995 Cobra R's (with maybe ~20 clones that were raced as Cobra R's), and then 300 2000 Cobra R's. It makes a 1965-1966 Shelby GT350 seem like a mass production car.
OP Is 10+ Years Old So IDK If You'll Even Read This But Unrelated To His SN95 Cobra-R Racing Career But I Own Chuck Snipes Personal 1988 Saleen #215 Demo & Track Car That Was Purchased From His Dealership As A Used Leftover Demo In 1989. According To The Original Buyer, Chuck Raced The Car Which I Tend More To Believe Now Since Reading This Thread. I Was Told By Someone I Met Over The Last 24 Years Of Owning It That He Supposedly Had Pics Of My Car At A Track All Race Sponsor Tampo'd & #'d But Lost His # Somehow. Since 88#215 Was Only 1 Of 3 With Factory SALEEN/JBA Installed 4 Point Roll Bar, Rear Shock Tower Brace & Frame Connectors I Know If I Was Chuck Back Then, I Would've Been Interested In Just How Good The Car Tracked & Hooked Up. Since Making It's Way Up North Back Then, It's Only Been Performance Enhanced By The Original Owner As Well As Myself & I Think It'd Give My Vortech V1 S/C 1997 SVT Cobra A Run For It's $$$ If Not Actually A Spanking !!! But If You Or Anyone Who Might Read This Knows Chuck
If He's Even Still With Us (God Willing) Or Has Any Access To Any Old Snipes Ford Photo's From The Late 80's, I'd Love To Get My Hands On Some Pics Of My Car Back Then If They Exist

PonyXpress001

if i cant get them to upload here i may get your number and send them to you i will dig them up this week
Did You Actually Work For Snipes Ford ??? If So, What Years. I Own His 1988 Saleen#215 That He Sold As A Used Demo Leftover In 1989. I Just Commented On Another Post Regarding Chuck Snipes & I'd Love To See Those Cobra Pics Too, I Also Own 2 Cobra's, Another SALEEN 00#228, An SN95 Roush, An 01' DHG Bullitt, & An 83' GT Convertible So Obviously, I've Got A Slight Disorder LMFAO

Attachments

• 45955.jpeg
    45955.jpeg
    366.8 KB · Views: 64

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
I can roll back to some pictures and some written tech to these cars.

It looks something like this.

Mitty2013.jpg

Mitty2013a.jpg

Here is me racing in HSR Vintage:
Mitty2013DJ.png

The car got sold at a track event. It had a big folder of it's great history. The new owner never raced it.

944racer

I was looking for IMSA '95 Cobra R's online and came across this forum. So I am new to this and wanted to find other IMSA R owners like mine. I knew Chuck Snipes from when I bought my car in 1999 after the Motorola Cup race at Daytona. I stopped racing it years ago and it's parked in my garage. It was built and raced by the Hacker Brothers, Karl and Paul. So kind of related to the Snipes cars.
Andy

Attachments

• 95 Cobra R.JPG
    95 Cobra R.JPG
    214.5 KB · Views: 55

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
We have the #20 Steeda 95R, which is described as the one the won the most IMSA races. I got it a few years ago, from the individual that campaigned the car with Steeda (he kept it all those years)

Your 1st post here, welcome.

Last edited:

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
I was looking for IMSA '95 Cobra R's online and came across this forum. So I am new to this and wanted to find other IMSA R owners like mine. I knew Chuck Snipes from when I bought my car in 1999 after the Motorola Cup race at Daytona. I stopped racing it years ago and it's parked in my garage. It was built and raced by the Hacker Brothers, Karl and Paul. So kind of related to the Snipes cars.
Andy
Andy.
It's a great car although it is a not a real 1995 Cobra R,

You need a letter from Chuck Snipes to show it's authenticity. He is your friend so no problem?

You left in a garage for 25 years and just now mentioned it?

CobraR77

IMSA R Fanatic
Established Member
Andy
Andy, it's good to hear that you still have your Hacker Bros 95R. I own the Zabinski Racing 95R #77 and recently acquired the Gemini Racing Frank Simone 95R #66. Check out my YouTube channel CobraR77 for many IMSA races. We also have a 1995 Cobra R group on Facebook.

944racer

Why would you say it isn't a real R? I have a certificate with a vin number showing it is number 195 of 250. They had two R's for sale and Paul made sure I got the serial numbered one and not the clone.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Andy.
It's a great car although it is a not a real 1995 Cobra R,

You need a letter from Chuck Snipes to show it's authenticity. He is your friend so no problem?

You left in a garage for 25 years and just now mentioned it?
Doc,

Andy has one of the Hacker Rs. The other was purchased by Ken Walder and sold in Texas last year.

Tom

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Andy
Hey Andy!

I heard/thought you sold this car a few years back. I guess I should have called you to confirm. Glad you have found this forum. We've spoke in the past. I have the Zippo 47 car and also Chuck's old wrecked Stars & Stripes chassis.

Good hearing from you.

Tom

944racer

Hey Andy!

I heard/thought you sold this car a few years back. I guess I should have called you to confirm. Glad you have found this forum. We've spoke in the past. I have the Zippo 47 car and also Chuck's old wrecked Stars & Stripes chassis.

Good hearing from you.

Tom
Hi Tom
It's hard to think about ever selling the car. I have owned it for a long time and have driven it a lot at most of the tracks in the Southeast. I own other race cars that I currently race so I don't hurt my R.
Here is the interior shot of the custom embroidered dash that the Hackers put in my car.
CobraR.jpg

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Hi Tom
It's hard to think about ever selling the car. I have owned it for a long time and have driven it a lot at most of the tracks in the Southeast. I own other race cars that I currently race so I don't hurt my R.
Here is the interior shot of the custom embroidered dash that the Hackers put in my car.
View attachment 1795680
Love it! Believe it or not, I have an identical one that I got from Chuck Snipes when I picked up my wrecked car. It was laying in the attic of his old car dealership in the "parts" boxes. I grabbed it as part of the history of the car.

Tom

Users who are viewing this thread