Chuck Snipes Racing IMSA Cobra cars

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
Well Doc, All I can tell you is I hope that Snipes Car came with a Weed Eater packed in the trunk so you can find your way back onto the race track when we come by :burnout:
Yea, yea. I ain't worried about you and your brother, Jethro. :-D

I'll just hang back and wait until ya'll wreck or blow-up. :read:
Jeff371b.jpg

Here are some quick scans.
Thanks, Larry, those are very good. I guess you did those at Road Atlanta? It was around 1999-2000?

I got a call yesterday from Don who said the trailer just left his place (it took them 6 days to pick-up the car). He made a picture of his old car loaded it the trailer.

I got a call just now. The truck plans to be here tomorrow morning. :uh oh:
That is getting it done.

:dancenana:

1993R

Established Member
Doc,
Pics are from around 97-99 I think? At RA. Some series of pics has a shot of your 94 in the pit area under a small tent. Let me know when you are having an official unveiling. I would like to see it before you and Gary dent her all up.....I know its racing patina.

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
Some series of pics has a shot of your 94 in the pit area under a small tent.
Cool, That was probably around 1997-1999. I wish I still had that '94 Cobra. This was one of its first races, 1997.
94Cobra1-1.jpg

I would like to see it before you and Gary dent her all up......
Larry,
It ain't me that dents 'em. Gary is rebuilding the #99 of 250 car that he bought because it was wrecked. It's just that he has a lot of experience rebuilding wrecked cars. :eek: This one:
GJMb.gif

Gary's other brother, Dick, is also known to slap cars off guard rails and other cars.
WG2012e.jpg

I am not related to them. :-D

I drive my Cobra's between the walls:
94Cobra-4.jpg

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
:shrug:Doc still wears that same drivers suit and shoes:shrug:
I know that you are busy entertaining chicks at the race track. Some guys got it; why not share it with Dick?
Danica.jpg

I bought a new race suit 3 years ago. :-D You'd think that you noticed it in your motorhome (you probably thought it was your client that just bought the ex-Carl Edwards, ex-Jack Roush, #99 Aflac road racing Ford Fusion)? :-D
Mine.
RGruppe1.jpg

Gary,
The Snipes car arrived. No kidding around here. The Snipes car is the real deal. I drove it in the warehouse district. It has quick fueling ability, adjustable front shocks (without opening the hood) and quick rear shock adjustments.

The engine? It has more HP than your other brother, Tim. It also has the excellent finish, fit, and thoughtful presentation of Tim's cars. The #21 is better than excellent.

You should plan to move up your restoration of the #99 of 250 a notch.:beer:

21Snipes.jpg

21Snipesa.jpg

21Snipesb.gif

I raised the HP of Michael's storage by X 100 (the deuce coupe, and the new #21): :-D
21Snipesd.gif

Cobra R Man

IMSA RACE CAR
Established Member
I have some pics from Road Atlanta I took of the cars in rhe Budget livery . I talked to the team in the pits. One car was a clone and one was a real R if memory serves me. I own the rims off the car when it raced in IMSA.

I was there the same day('98 Petite LeMans), and Chuck told me the same thing. He said he had two "R"s, but one was put in storage for future value. He got test mules from Ford to convert to "R" clones for racing.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
I was there the same day('98 Petite LeMans), and Chuck told me the same thing. He said he had two "R"s, but one was put in storage for future value. He got test mules from Ford to convert to "R" clones for racing.

Chuck ordered 3 Rs from Ford. He took delivery on two of them. One was given to Hacker and turned into the race car and run under the Hacker livery as #09 for 95. For 96 it was changed to the blue stars and stripes and again maintained by Hacker and raced as #26. Snipes and Hacker had a falling out and Snipes took over maintaining the car in later 96 and that is when it was wrecked at Road Atlanta. By this time all of the R parts were in the Ford Motorsport catalog and you could build one from scratch cheaper than buying a real R and converting it. So, Chuck sold the 2nd R as a 100% original driver. I have the VIN in my records.

The Budget cars are the cars presently owned by Doc and Vern in the N.E.

Tom

GJMCAR98

MOTOROLA MAN
Established Member
Tom, We just have to get Doc off that wallet and start racing that thing now. I heard he's looking for a sponsor so he can run the annaversey weekend at Charlotte :beer:

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
By this time all of the R parts were in the Ford Motorsport catalog and you could build one from scratch cheaper than buying a real R and converting it. So, Chuck sold the 2nd R as a 100% original driver. I have the VIN in my records.
Tom,
That is a good point. A Ford dealer could get the parts cheaper than most of us. He could build a legal IMSA car for much less than the $35K entry price of a Cobra R.

But, the price of racing even back in 1996-2003 was expensive. They had to haul them to tracks all over the USA. They had to employ crews, pay for hotel rooms....

I can't help but think that these original racers are proud of what they did, despite the costs. Now we are still talking about the cars. IMO, that is a nice legacy.

Tom, We just have to get Doc off that wallet and start racing that thing now. I heard he's looking for a sponsor so he can run the annaversey weekend at Charlotte
Gary,
I'll make you a deal. I'll bring it to Charlotte if you'll take all of us out to your favorite restaurant, Red Lobster. :-D

Seriously,

My spy back in your shop says that your #99 of 250 Cobra R is 85% finished? It has the best SCCA logbook of any 95R. :shrug:
GJMc-1.gif

I'd also like to thank Don for restoring such a superb and nice car. I've spent some time with it, and it is perfect. The strings show a straight body with just enough camber and caster.

The attention to detail is just excellent in every part. The Hp/torque curve, and rear gearing is going to be perfect for HSR tracks (except Daytona). IMO, the exterior and interior of the car is better now that when Chuck Snipes raced it.

The horsepower (it has a dyno tune) is perfect for a vintage race car. It's not too much to cause breakage to drivetrain parts but just enough to screw with other cars on the back straight at RA.

The suspension specs seem perfect. The tire will allow some suspension adjustment with tire pressures. All four shocks are adjustable.

I may offer Danica a co-drive (to heck with Chuck S.). ;-) :beer:
danica5.gif

steeda_007

Established Member
Glad you like it!

Doc,

Thanks for the kind words on my work. It turned out to be a 4yr+ project where I learned, among other things, how to turn my garage into a paint booth. Those years were certainly an adventure, as I personally did everything on the car except rebuild the Multi-Matic dampers (although I did do the struts and spherical bearings at the top).

That car has listened to 1000's of hours of Stevie Ray Vaughan, AC/DC, STP, Evanescence, Seether and many more. Doc is in posession of three big binders of photos that chronicle the entire process (not the music though). Probably some fun stuff to share with other Cobra owners who have never had their cars to the bare uni-body.

Anyway, I'm thrilled to see it move back home. Doc is certainly the right person to drive the snot out of it :pepper:

Give a shout if you get Danica to take off her clothes and lay on the hood, I'll fly down and watch...

Have a blast and give it hell.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited:

GJMCAR98

MOTOROLA MAN
Established Member
I fired up #99 od 250 today. All that's left to do is install the seat (which has already been fitted ), the belts and hook up the shift light and it's ready to go to the scales for set up. It's been a long work in progress but a lot of fun. As soon as I get the decal package on it I'll get some pictures up.:beer: GJ

CobraR77

IMSA R Fanatic
Established Member
Todd--you and I need to get our "projects" going.....

Tom
Tom, yes we do. I’ve been gathering parts when I can.

I was at the local “pick and pull” last weekend and they had 15-20 1994-98 Mustangs including 4 GT’s. Their prices are very reasonable. Doors $53, Fenders $31, 8.8 Rearend $90, Backglass $30, Complete Dash Assm $73, 5.8 Roller Shortblock $100, etc. You should head up this way for a weekend (before its 120 degrees) and we can load your truck up with parts for your project.

FWIW, I was at the yard getting a driver side window for #77. I plan on running the next Texas Mile in Beeville, TX and wanted to install the window for aerodynamics. The window install was interesting since the interior shell of my door was cut out to allow the door bars to protrude into the door shell. This removed the mounting points for the window regulator and tracks. I was able to install and secure the window by zip tying the window bracket to the window stops with heavy duty zip ties. It turned out better than I expected, very sturdy. Just need some “Road Wrap”, fuel and I’m ready for the mile…

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
FWIW, I was at the yard getting a driver side window for #77. I plan on running the next Texas Mile in Beeville, TX and wanted to install the window for aerodynamics.

Great idea, Todd.

I was thinking of driving my #21 at the annual Atlanta Polar Bear Rally on New Years Day and found some plastic widows in the basement. But then I realized that I couldn't get a tag due to the fact that I live in an area that requires an emission sniff test before issuing a tag.

I got street insurance coverage through my collector car policy. It wasn't expensive.

I agree that it is a good idea to get parts now when they are not expensive. We have two Mustang auto salvage yards around here (MPS and Prestige). Most of their stuff is still inexpensive, but that could change as the supply runs low. I was thinking about getting a spare Cobra front bumper ($299; just in case ;-) ).

You and Tom need to get busy (in your spare time :) ). I just sold a car that I've had sitting in a warehouse for 4 years. I had even accumulated the parts. I finally just realized that 2013 was going to keep me busy with current stuff. It went to a good home.

Happy Cobra R New Year. :thumbsup:

GJMCAR98

MOTOROLA MAN
Established Member
IMO If your going to restore one of these cars the best thing to do is just look around and find a parts car ( if you have somewhere to keep it ). if you really look you can buy a 94-98 pretty cheap. Then you have all the little parts, screws, nuts and bolts and anything else that will keep you from making 20 trips to the pull a part. The one thing I have learned about these cars is that they have a million little parts, nuts, bolts and screws and they will drive you nuts putting one back together.:bash: Just my two cents worth :shrug:

r82of250

Established Member
What did you sell Doc? Actually, I can't believe you sold something! Great buy on the 21 car btw. Hope to see it at Sebring.

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
IMO If your going to restore one of these cars the best thing to do is just look around and find a parts car ( if you have somewhere to keep it ). if you really look you can buy a 94-98 pretty cheap. Then you have all the little parts, screws, nuts and bolts and anything else that will keep you from making 20 trips to the pull a part. The one thing I have learned about these cars is that they have a million little parts, nuts, bolts and screws and they will drive you nuts putting one back together.
Thanks Gary,
That is good advice from someone who has built 2-3 of these cars. I know that you know who to call at MPS.

I also know that you've already wrecked and rebuilt one of these cars. :bash:

What did you sell Doc?

Thanks Dean,
I sold a 1971 911E to a long-time friend for what I had in it. It was worth more.

The car:
1971Porsche911E.gif

1971911E003.gif

He didn't buy the engine, transmission, or seats. :shrug: I'll offer them on the Porsche boards. The engine:
1971911T-1.gif

I've also been going thru the #21 Snipes car...It's going to be real fast...

Users who are viewing this thread