Chuck Snipes Racing IMSA Cobra cars

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
You guys know that I just bought Don's #21 ex-Chuck Snipes Ford Racing 1995 Cobra R clone.
Snipes21.gif

The history: Chuck Snipes was a pioneer in SN95 racing cars. He had a Ford dealership in North Carolina. He decided that it would be a good idea to turn a small fortune into a even smaller fortune. :-D

Here is a picture of three of his cars at Daytona.
Snipes21h.gif

It turns out that he is a darn good race car driver. It was back in April 1997 that he won the Speedvision Cup race at Road Atlanta. OK, the original Ford winner got disqualified for bending the rules which had the Snipes car with the trophy.

Then it came back and finished on the podium (3rd) in the next year's Road Atlanta Speedvision Race.

It sure looked good at Sebring back in the day:
95Rj-1.gif

I believe, according to my notes, that Tom has one car (not his T-F car), and Todd owns one.

Please offer anything that you have on the famous Snipes' cars. He also had a Budget sponsorship at his dealership.

I am thinking that the Snipes' cars will be the (legal) faster cars in vintage racing going forward. :read: ;-)

I am working to a Sebring or Road Atlanta vintage early-year race next year.

DJ

P/S Just for you new guys: Ford made 107 1993 Cobra R's, then 250 1995 Cobra R's (with maybe ~20 clones that were raced as Cobra R's), and then 300 2000 Cobra R's. It makes a 1965-1966 Shelby GT350 seem like a mass production car.

flattrack53

Established Member
Very Very cool! I remember going to Snipes dealership around 1995-1996 and seeing the cobra with the blue front end. Where all of his cars Cobra R clones? To be honest, at the time I knew nothing of a 95r... I just saw a race car. :)

1993R

Established Member
I have some pics from Road Atlanta I took of the cars in rhe Budget livery . I talked to the team in the pits. One car was a clone and one was a real R if memory serves me. I own the rims off the car when it raced in IMSA.

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
I have some pics from Road Atlanta I took of the cars in rhe Budget livery.

Larry,
Please scan and/or send them to me. :-D

I was looking through the old notes and found Mike (#89). He owns the sister car to my #113 in fron NY.

Here is a view.
Snipes21b.gif

CobraR77

IMSA R Fanatic
Established Member
Snipes Motorsports had four chassis they campaigned as Cobra R's.

Snipes Chassis #1 is a real Cobra R #24/250. This chassis was prepped by Hacker Bros and debuted at the 1995 Road Atlanta event where it raced in white livery as with the 09 number. This chassis was later changed to the famous stars and stripes scheme (blue front) raced with the 25/26 numbers. This chassis’ final pro race was at Road Atlanta in 1996 where it was involved in a heavy crash during torrential down pour that involved several cars. Owned by Tom in TX. Awaiting restoration.

Snipes_26_1996.jpg

scan0011.jpg

Snipes Chassis #2 is a former “mule” converted to Cobra R specs using salvaged parts from Chassis #1. This chassis does not have a VIN. This car debuted at the 1996 Watkins Glen event in the stars and stripes scheme (blue front). Its paint scheme changed to the blue/orange Budget Rent a Car scheme in 1998. It was sold to JBS racing who raced it until it was replaced by a 2003 Cobra. This chassis is currently in MD and participates in SCCA solo events and open tracking. This car was featured on the Steeda Posse poster. Owned by Vern in MD.

97-4-5-31.jpg

Snipes Chassis #3 was built from a Hurricane V6 car. This chassis has a VIN and a CARFAX report backs this history. Debuted at Daytona 1997 with the Stars and Stripes scheme (red front) running the number 21. Its paint scheme changed to the blue/orange Budget Rent a Car scheme in 1998 and later it changed to white. This car was featured on the Steeda Posse poster. It was raced by Snipes Motorsports until it was retired.

CARFAX found 4 record(s) for this 1996 FORD MUSTANG (1FALP4043TFxxxxxx).

Date: Mileage Reading: Source: General Comments:

10/26/1995 NICB Vehicle manufactured and shipped to original dealer

10/23/1996 Michigan Motor Vehicle Dept. Dearborn, MI Registered as corporate fleet vehicle

10/23/1996 Michigan Motor Vehicle Dept. Dearborn, MI Title #xxxxxx First owner reported SALVAGE TITLE/CERTIFICATE ISSUED

10/31/1996 Michigan Motor Vehicle Dept. JUNK TITLE/CERTIFICATE ISSUED

97-9-8-121.jpg

early_Page_1.jpg

Snipes Chassis #4 was built from a Hurricane V6 car. This chassis has a VIN and a CARFAX report backs this history. This car started racing in 1997 with the Stars and Stripes scheme (white front) running the number 26. It won the Road Atlanta race with Randy Pobst behind the wheel. Its last pro race was at the Sebring October event where it wrecked. I own this chassis and it is currently awaiting restoration.

CARFAX found 4 record(s) for this 1996 FORD MUSTANG (1FALP4043TFxxxxxx).

Date: Mileage Reading: Source: General Comments:

06/03/1996 NICB Vehicle manufactured and shipped to original dealer

10/23/1996 Michigan Motor Vehicle Dept. Dearborn, MI Registered as corporate fleet vehicle

10/23/1996 Michigan Motor Vehicle Dept. Dearborn, MI Title #xxxxxx First owner reported SALVAGE TITLE/CERTIFICATE ISSUED

10/31/1996 Michigan Motor Vehicle Dept. JUNK TITLE/CERTIFICATE ISSUED

scan0005-1.jpg

scan0007_small.jpg

brianz426

Established Member
^ Good stuff Todd thanks for the details. I've always found the history of these cars very interesting.

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
Doc, Nice add to the collection! did you buy it direct from Don? I think someone posted it was on the auction block at Barrets, possibly Todd?

CobraR77

IMSA R Fanatic
Established Member
just for clarification, what's a "Hurricane V6" car?

These cars were at a dealership that suffered major damage from a hurricane. Instead of destroying all of these cars via the crusher or salvage, a few of the Mustangs were provided to race teams. I was told that none of the cars converted to racecars suffered any damage from the hurricane but the entire dealership was written off.

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
Doc, Nice add to the collection! did you buy it direct from Don?
Thanks Ken,
I did buy it directly from Don.

It was a a pain getting an enclosed trailer. Supposedly, all of the auto transport people are in the NE cleaning up the storm damaged cars for insurance companies.

I finally found one last Thursday that is picking it up at Don's, heading to my house and on to FL.

These cars were at a dealership that suffered major damage from a hurricane.
Didn't Chuck also have a Budget rent-a-car office at his dealership?

CobraR77

IMSA R Fanatic
Established Member
Thanks Ken,
I did buy it directly from Don.

It was a a pain getting an enclosed trailer. Supposedly, all of the auto transport people are in the NE cleaning up the storm damaged cars for insurance companies.

I finally found one last Thursday that is picking it up at Don's, heading to my house and on to FL.

Didn't Chuck also have a Budget rent-a-car office at his dealership?

Don, yes, Chuck also had a Budget Rent a Car office.

Here are some more pics of your new racer.

__hr_SteedaPossePoster.jpg

scan0003.jpg

scan0004.jpg

scan0005.jpg

scan0008.jpg

scan0009.jpg

0000503-R1-028-12A.jpg

97-4-9-29.jpg

97-4-8-9.jpg

97-4-4-34A.jpg

97-4-4-6A.jpg

97-4-5-22A.jpg

97-4-4-7A.jpg

97-9-8-121.jpg

97-9-2-231.jpg

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
These cars were at a dealership that suffered major damage from a hurricane. Instead of destroying all of these cars via the crusher or salvage, a few of the Mustangs were provided to race teams. I was told that none of the cars converted to racecars suffered any damage from the hurricane but the entire dealership was written off.

The cars went under water. Chuck was able to get ahold of them since he was a dealer. As stated, both started life as V6 cars.

Tom

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Excellent history Todd and 100% accurate.

It is nice being able to trace these cars and know where all 4 chassis are so they can't be copied.

Doc, you saw this car at Nashville for the MCA 45th as I recall. It was when we were all there together. It had the Budget livery and Don had just picked it up from Chuck and was heading home and came by the event to show the car off and hang out for the weekend.

Glad you got the car and I look forward to seeing it on the track.

Todd--you and I need to get our "projects" going.....

Tom

GJMCAR98

MOTOROLA MAN
Established Member
Just for the record, And for the ones keeping up with this stuff the 53 Car that is pictured above is now resting in South Florida. I had a really good conversation last year at a Christmas party with the guy that put it out of service up at Watkins Glenn ( Hit the wall in the boot ). Car is currently under restoration to be Vintage Raced.:banana:

CobraR77

IMSA R Fanatic
Established Member
Just for the record, And for the ones keeping up with this stuff the 53 Car that is pictured above is now resting in South Florida. I had a really good conversation last year at a Christmas party with the guy that put it out of service up at Watkins Glenn ( Hit the wall in the boot ). Car is currently under restoration to be Vintage Raced.:banana:

Gary, here is a link to the video I've uploaded of that crash.

Safina R Crash at Watkins Glen 1996 - YouTube

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
Just for the record, And for the ones keeping up with this stuff the 53 Car that is pictured above is now resting in South Florida.

Yea, yea.. The #53 is just another target (if it is released from the Feds due to the drug problems) for the Snipes Cars.
53.gif

You T-F guys should really be worried when the Snipes cars enter the grid. :-D

I'm just saying; the Snipes cars are faster. They are also driven by gentlemen.
Snipes21j.gif

You guys should give it up. Like Todd said; the #21 is part of the original Posse:
Snipes21i.jpg

It's going to be interesting this year. Gary has a girl in the Zippo car. He also may or may not get his #99 ready for Sebring.

His big problem is the 200 Hp Snipes #21. :-D
Snipes21r.gif

Just saying. There is no better looking vintage Cobra car than the red Snipes car.

GJMCAR98

MOTOROLA MAN
Established Member
Yea Dean I do know a little about what's going on with those cars but I'm keeping it to myself for certain reasons.:shrug:

GJMCAR98

MOTOROLA MAN
Established Member
Well Doc, All I can tell you is I hope that Snipes Car came with a Weed Eater packed in the trunk so you can find your way back onto the race track when we come by :burnout:

1993R

Established Member
Here are some quick scans. I have a total of 18 shots. Sorry about the sizes.
Doc you owe me I'm supposed to be doing my honey do list today.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread