Chrome Alternator options?

Captain Fluffy Nuggies

Established Member
Premium Member
Getting spring fever and decided to fire up the Cobra today, noticed a bit of a bearing noise coming from the alternator, and soon as it warmed up, it seemed to go away.

Figured I might as well replace it, I do hope one day to go to some polished/chrome bits under the hood and was wondering if anyone makes a chrome/polished housing for a replacement alternator for a 1997 Cobra?

After a basic search online, they do seem to exist for V6's and 5.0's, but can't seem to locate anything for Mod motors. Am I not looking in the right place? Anyone have any bad things to say about having a chrome/polished alternator? Dependable? Pros/Cons?

What's that old saying..."chrome gets ya home". Hope I can find something, otherwise i'll have to see about disassembling the case of the new one and then polishing it/dipping it in chrome later.

Thanks.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Word of caution. We know that heat can kill Terminator alternators. Going with a chrome plated alternator will result in even more retained heat. Chrome holds in heat. IMO don't do it.

Captain Fluffy Nuggies

Established Member
Premium Member
Word of caution. We know that heat can kill Terminator alternators. Going with a chrome plated alternator will result in even more retained heat. Chrome holds in heat. IMO don't do it.
Thanks for the pointer, that's what I wanted to know though. Pros and Cons. I know it looks pretty, but if it's gonna fail sooner, maybe it won't be the right move for me.

However, the car is rarely driven, and not usually on super hot days, and i'm never in stop-and-go with it either, so maybe it wouldn't get too hot usually?

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
With the alternator on top I don't think heat is as much of an issue for the SN95's. If you can find a polished version that might be better than the chrome. No coating to hold the heat in. But yeah, I don't see many options. If you can break it down to the case halves maybe a polishing shop can take care of it and not kill you price wise.

Oh, and it's "chrome don't get ya home". But I always say it keeps me looking good when I'm on the side of the road.

Users who are viewing this thread