Chiz's "Curb Rash Repair" How-To

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHIZ

GeoMetros worse nightmare
Established Member
Supplies you will need:
1. Dremel $30 (kit comes with sand bit you'll need for deep rash)
2. Bondo "Spot Puddy" $5
3. Puddy Knife $5 (Pack of three)
4. Dupli Color Primer $4
5. Dupli Color Rim Paint $6
6. Dupli Color Clear $5
7. Masking Tape $3
8. 1000grit Sandpaper $5
9. Soap Detergent $2
10. Cleaning Cloth
11. Bowl of water
Total $65+-

IMG_0255.jpg

0e08046d.jpg

Step 1:

Clean the wheel(s) as best you can, especially around the spot you'll be working on. Use the detergent and cloth for this.

Step 2:

Locate the curb rash. Depending on how bad it is, you may not have to use the dremel. If it is cut into deeply, then you'll have to use the dremel, but small scratches can easily be sanded. The picture below is a small spot on another wheel that'll i'll be fixing shortly, but the curb rash i had on the one featured in the how-to was bad! The lip was bent in pretty bad, so i took my dremel and went to town flatning the spot out as much as i could on the top of the lip and on the inside.

IMG_0254.jpg

Step 3:

After you have cleaned the spot as much as possible, squirt out a small amount of the spot puddy onto a peice of cardboard or whatever you have. Take the puddy knife and scrape it up just on the edge of the knife, and start spreading it over the sides and top of the curb rash (this may take a few applications until everything is flat and lined up). Let each coat of puddy set for 30 minutes, and the final coat 1 hour.

Step 4:

Using the 1000grit sandpaper, dip it into the bowl of water, and begin sanding the puddy until it is even and all the lines of the wheel match up. As stated above, you may have to add a few coats of the puddy to get it just right (it took me about 3-4 coats on each spot). The picture below is an example of what it should look like once smooth.

IMG_0257.jpg

Step 5:

Once again, wash the rim with the detergent, to clean off any left over puddy. Before moving to the next step make sure to let the rim dry.

Step 6:

Mask off the portion of the rim that you do not want the primer overspray on.

IMG_0258.jpg

Step 7:

Spray the primer on the curb rash moving left to right about 6" away from the rim, until the red puddy is unable to be seen. you can see from the picture below, that the puddy has been painted over the spot on the left, while the other spot has not been sprayed yet, on the right.

IMG_0259.jpg

Step 8:

Once the primer has dried (30 min), remove the masking tape.

IMG_0262.jpg

Step 9:

Now take your rim paint, and begin to spray it over the primer, once agin 6" away from left to right. make sure you spray about 1-2" past the primer so the area will blend together better. Let the paint set for atleast 3 hours. i let mine set over night.

IMG_0263.jpg

IMG_0264.jpg

IMG_0265.jpg

Step 10:

Now take your clear coat, and spray it over the areas, to give it a good finish and shine. In the pictures above, i have not sprayed the clear on but plan to tomorrow.

This should save your pocket book for replacing the rim(s). If you have any questions, please email me at [email protected] or pm me.

admin's please send this to our how to.

chiz ;-)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread