Chipping Paint on the Cobra

2004svtcobra

Established Member
Is anyone else seeing paint being blasted from the lower pannel below the doors and on the rear quarter panels just behind the doors. I drive primarily on highways and do not drive on tar and chipped roads or dirt roads. Base primer is beginning to show in the above mentioned areas and it is ticking me off! What are all of you doing about this if you have this issue? Thanks.

Steeda1

Established Member
I just noticed it while waxing the car today!!! :cuss:

It looks like tons of little rock chips right in front of the rear tires. :mj:

I don't know what to do about it....

Anyone?

sloopjonb

Established Member
I think we all have this problem. I don't drive mine anywhere but on good highways in warmer weather, and the chips multiply in these areas like nothing I have ever seen before. I put small rigid mud flaps in front that actually look great, and that cut down on some of the activity up front, but most is happening behind the doors, I guess coming off the rear tires. I've shown it to several body shops, and all have said to forget about it until it gets real bad - then repaint, 'cause it will just keep happening. So, I'm trying to live with it, but it pisses me off. The paint is so incredibly thin.

GodStang

Established Member
Had problems on my 01. Ford repainted it 3 times. They also had a white 04 and a black 04 Cobra in there when I brought mine in. They say it happenes alot.

gmynko

I like injecting people
Established Member
The same crap happens to me. I put rigid flat mustang flaps behind the front wheels and GT formed flaps behind the rear wheels that have kept those areas great, but the valence in front of the rear wheels is starting to get chewed up. Above the valence on the quarter is not so bad but I have a few. Yeah it sucks, but what can you do? Have the valence re-painted? Under warranty?

indycobra

Established Member
look at mine!! Ford really did a great job with the paint. NOT!!
But I still love the car!

Paint.gif

capnlbj

Beam Me Up Scotty!
Established Member
Maybe go to www.rockblocker.com and get some bulk clear bra. make a template, cut it out and cover the vulnerable areas. It's cheap in bulk quantity. I did it behind the drive wheels and you can't tell it's on there 'til you get close. I think I might try it in the area in front of the rear wheels.

gmynko

I like injecting people
Established Member
Originally posted by indycobra
look at mine!! Ford really did a great job with the paint. NOT!!
But I still love the car!

My Colgan bra has prevented all of that- But let me tell you a story. My car went in for some warranty work and some dick bumped into my front bumper with their front license plate frame and put in a gouge. I raised hell and went berserk. So they fixed it - it took them about 4 tries - but its perfect - not a single chip and no swirls. I think they made sure it was perfect because I went nuts and they didn't want to deal with me again. Those chips are nasty and you should have them fixed under wty.

2004svtcobra

Established Member
Well...the dealer I bought my Cobra from are a bunch of idiots. They told me that the chipping is occuring because there are more stones on the right side of the road than on the left. My car happens to have more chipping on the right side. However, I think the rear quarter panel is sticking out futher on that side!!!!! I asked them about that too!! They said nothing was wrong with it!! My dealer also told me that paint chipping is not covered under warranty and that they can't do anything about it!! I told them what I thought aout their decision not to help me out! I am pissed off!!!

I just relocated to Baltimore, MD area and am looking for a dealer to take my car to since the dealer in New Castle, PA are jerks.

I installed the Mustang molded flaps on the car and they have done a great job keeping road debris off of the car. They fit very well and don't look bad on the black car at all!

The thing that makes me the maddest is that I drive a company car (Ford, Taurus) into a steel mill everyday and do not have any paint chipping on that car at all!!!! No flaps are on the car either. I would much rather have it the other way around!!!! hahaha Thnaks for all of the input!!!

piss&vinegar

Seek and Destroy
Established Member
Same here. Who sells the mudflaps. Anyone get paint with their vehicles so that you can try to fix the chips that do occur? I am still waiting for the competition orange paint since it was not ready when I bought the car.

Users who are viewing this thread