Childhood toys/games which you remember fondly.

9397SVTs

Established Member
Premium Member
I had several of these and often added them together. You could also buy cars separately.
9k=(66).jpg

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I keep forgetting to take a pic, but my nephew has had a slot car track set up on their kitchen table since Christmas :ROFLMAO:
It's a kit from the 90s with Terry Labontes's car on the box (and inside).
He also has a shitload of Nascar matchbix size cars, and he placed them all in the infield like it's pit lane.

I have never seen that before. It’s just to cover the book? To protect it or?
Yeah to protect it. Since we had to do it anyway, everyone would decorate them to their liking. Mine were all Metallica/NIN shit

kazman

King of Kazmania
Established Member
Premium Member
To protect it. We did this back when we walked to school uphill both ways and in the snow.

I never used those, I just used the books to slide down the snow covered hills. Srs.
Parents were never happy about that, always ended up buying the books at the end of the year.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Well, I guess this falls into the "games" category. LOL. Back in the early '60s when I was around 13, my two brothers (10 and 7 at the time) and I would play tackle football in our small living room which was maybe 10' X 14'. Offense was always one person. Defense was two. It's amazing we never broke anything. o_O:ROFLMAO:

VegasMichael

Established Member
I keep forgetting to take a pic, but my nephew has had a slot car track set up on their kitchen table since Christmas :ROFLMAO:
It's a kit from the 90s with Terry Labontes's car on the box (and inside).
He also has a shitload of Nascar matchbix size cars, and he placed them all in the infield like it's pit lane.

Yeah to protect it. Since we had to do it anyway, everyone would decorate them to their liking. Mine were all Metallica/NIN shit
We used to use the Sunday comics to cover our textbooks.

Zemedici

Established Member
Really? What year were you born? We had to use them to protect the hardcover textbooks that were used for years on end in public schools.

Established 1992

Graduated HS in 2010.

I’ve never seen one of those in my life lolol

Asked my wife last night (born in ‘91, graduated in ‘09) - same answer, had never seen it

VegasMichael

Established Member
Established 1992

Graduated HS in 2010.

Asked my wife last night (born in ‘91, graduated in ‘09) - same answer, had never seen it
Oh, born in 1992. That explains it. That was a bad year. Lots of recalls. (kidding!)

I think it might have been a district or State decision and not so much a rule for all. I went to Jesuit school in high school and you bought your own books so covers weren't required.

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
Established 1992

Graduated HS in 2010.

Jeez, I was an E-8 when you were finger-bangin’ Sally rotten-crotch in the HS parking lot during lunch hour….

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member
Oh, born in 1992. That explains it. That was a bad year. Lots of recalls. (kidding!)

I think it might have been a district or State decision and not so much a rule for all. I went to Jesuit school in high school and you bought your own books so covers weren't required.
I went to a catholic school and we did it all through grade school. There wasn’t the text book scam back then where you got new ones all the time. Like elementary math has changed any in over 200 years. Lol. You are right though, it was not optional and we did it the first day in class. In high school it was optional, but instead of brown paper bags, they had ones made up with advertisements/sponsors and most of the fall sports schedules.

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member
Also of note: My public school 8th grader has literally no books for school. My catholic school 5th grader has a ton. But no hardbacks.

VegasMichael

Established Member
I went to a catholic school and we did it all through grade school. There wasn’t the text book scam back then where you got new ones all the time. Like elementary math has changed any in over 200 years. Lol. You are right though, it was not optional and we did it the first day in class. In high school it was optional, but instead of brown paper bags, they had ones made up with advertisements/sponsors and most of the fall sports schedules.
I went to public school from K-5. We had to cover them in 4th and 5th. I don't think K-3 we even used textbooks. Switched to Catholic school for 6-8 and covering was required.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Jeez, I was an E-8 when you were finger-bangin’ Sally rotten-crotch in the HS parking lot during lunch hour….
LMAO!!!! I retired from the Army as an E-7 in 2007 after 22 years of service and had been working for my current employer for 3 years by the time 2010 rolled around.

Man Josh (@Zemedici ) you don't make me feel old, you make me feel ancient LMAO!!!! Hope you're doing well brother!

Kevins89notch

Established Member
My "dad's" Pachinko machine. Images below stolen from Ebay.

He had 7 other siblings, so I doubt it was "his" technically. However, I lived closest to my grandparents and always enjoyed playing with it when I visited. My grandparents threw out nothing, so yes they still had it like 30 years after they bought it. The battery was long gone so I never saw it light up. The spring for the handle was gone, so you just had to manually flick it up. Several of the back plastics were cracked and held together with tape. I loved messing with the back of it, seeing how it worked, trying to attempt to fix things with rubber bands and more tape.

At some point, likely my grandpa said, "Just take that damn thing home with you." I did. It's still in my closet at my parent's house. One day I'll get around to ebaying everything that is broken on it, and it might live again.

YHnft1f.jpg

kEjkFzy.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread