Chicago GP on HID headlights

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
Just a heads up for you guys. CobraJack has organized a group purchase for HID headlights over on our local site, chicagosvt.com The company he is using has a 100% positive rating on Ebay [over 800 responses] and a 3 year no questions asked warranty. The HIDs are available in 6000K-white w/hint of blue, 8000K-more blue, 10000K-very blue, almost purple, and 12000K-purple. Kit price is currently at $245 but will drop if more people sign up. CobraJack is having them delivered to his house in Tinley Park, IL. so pickups will be from there.

Here's the link if anybody is interested. http://www.chicagosvt.com/forums/showthread.php3?t=10318&page=1&pp=25

Mods, if this conflicts with any advertisers on the site, go ahead and yank it. I am getting in on this GP and thought I'd pass it along to both lower my price and give others the opportunity to participate in the GP.

Cliff

Last edited:

x NOODLES x

Big Hitter da LLama!
Established Member
Any options for the foglight kit as well????????

If so, I'm on both!!!!!!!

I don't want just 1 though....

flyn high again

Established Member
Black2004Cobra said:
Any options for the foglight kit as well????????

If so, I'm on both!!!!!!!

I don't want just 1 though....

I already have Xenon bulbs in my fog lamps which give the blue color. They're only $15-20 on Ebay.

I don't know why the link wasn't working. I copied it again and it works now.

Last edited:

flyn high again

Established Member
Black2004Cobra said:
Good for you. :poke:

I WANT HID's.

LOL! So pay double the price and get them. :-D

Seriously, I like the Xenon fog light bulbs. For the $15 I paid for them on Ebay, they are great. I agree that HID fog lights would be better but I'm happy to pay $245 or less to get the HID headlights and keep my Xenon fog lights.

I want the HID headlights because the Xenon headlightbulbs leave a little to be desired lightwise on dark roads. I don't know who makes the HID fog light kit or what it would cost but I assume if you can get them from this company, you'd need another complete kit for a total approaching $500. If you don't mind paying that, check the bulb selection and see if the HID fog light bulbs are available.

flyn high again

Established Member
CY98Cobra said:
I bought my HIDs from that seller. They work and look great. It's just too bad I had to pay full price:(

What temp. range did you choose? What's the color like? Are they substantially brighter than stock? Any downside to the kit?

PDubs

Established Member
Forgive the newb q: All I need is one kit and that will be for both headlights? Or do I need one kit per headlight?

CY98Cobra

Established Member
The kit is very well made and includes everything needed for installation. Wiring harness, 2 ballasts, 2 bulbs and 2 brackets. All connections are like factory and have rubber seals to keep water out. Installation is simple and straight forward.

I have the 8000k H3 bulb (stock is 9007, I have projectors). It is alot brighter than halogen, as you can see by the pic below.

Ballasts
HID_Ballast_Right.jpg

HID_Ballast_Left.jpg

Here's a pic that shows the drastic difference between HID and Halogen.
HID_Compare.jpg

And a front shot of the car.
HID_Front.jpg

Rotzs99

Established Member
So do you have to have projector lenses to use these? or no? and if not will i blind the people i drive behind?

CY98Cobra

Established Member
Alot of people on here run HIDs without projectors. I think as long as you aim your headlight down you will be ok. I see people with HIDs in reflector housings all the time and it doesn't bother me.

flyn high again

Established Member
CY98Cobra said:
Alot of people on here run HIDs without projectors. I think as long as you aim your headlight down you will be ok. I see people with HIDs in reflector housings all the time and it doesn't bother me.

Thanks for the info. I'm getting the 8000Ks, too. :beer:

I've seen HIDs in Cobra headlights and as long as they are aimed properly, they are fine.

67scstang

SVT
Established Member
I would be interested in 2 kits, headlight and fogs. However, I do not see a part number for the 9145 foglight kit on their site?? The 9005 will fit in the foglight location with a little modification, if these bulbs fit similar. Anyone know if these bulbs have the same plastic fittings/tabs that secure the bulb in the housing? For the 9005 to fit, one of the tabs need to be cut off.

CY98Cobra

Established Member
The lightbulbs use the same base as the corresponding halogen bulb. My H3 HID base was exactly the same as the halogen base and required no modification to mount in the headlight.

What I'm wondering is if you could run headlights and fogs off the same ballast. I would love to buy a set of bulbs for the fogs and splice in so they draw power from the ballasts I already have. It would be much cheaper than buying two kits.

Anyone know if this will work?

JasonSnake

Established Member
I'm no HID pro, but the ballasts may not have enough punch to "start" the lights up, but probably enough to keep them running.

Slowbra01

Established Member
i would love to get in on this GP.... but it was mentioned that these lights would be picked up from somewhere in chicago. What about for us who live out of state? Can we still join the GP and have it mailed to us? I'm in Fl zip 33161

Users who are viewing this thread