Chevy vs Ford at LACR

stang99

I will post a reminder when the day gets closer, but, the LACR web site shows a Chevy vs Ford (LACR showed Chevy first since they hate Fords there) meet on Saturday, Aug 23 from 4PM-10PM. They did this last year and I personally eliminated the last Chevy before I fell in the final round with a red light to a Ford Dually Powerstroke four door truck (bracket racing sucks). He got the trophy and then he won the burnout contest and got $100. But, a Ford took it all that day and another Ford came in second. They usually prep the track for these meets and it may cool off some by dark, although who knows what the Palmdale weather will be like on any given day.

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
Dang Bracket Racing ?
Sorry my reaction times are all wack...never seen .5xx :bash:
Damn to the final round....come so far & so close. Must of been a heck of fun :beer:

No im not good enough just yet ;-)

jonas

Established Member
thats fine as long as you are consistant
I'm sure it will be heads up
maybe a 14-14.99; 13 -13.99 and so on categories

otherwise lets rent a focus with an automatic, I bet that will be consistant

2F2F

[2 F]ast [2 F]urious
Established Member
I am more interested in SoCal Supras vs. SoCal Terminators. What do you guys think? Yay? Nay?

stang99

Hey, you would have won the burnout contest except that your stopped short of the big smoke that the dually put up. Hust sat there burning all four new rear tires at a nice steady RPM until they stopped the contest. Still, it was interesting to see your car with smoke coming out every where. Wasn't that the day that it would not shift into reverse anymore? Too bad you moved so far away since I was going to pull one of your sparkplug wires and beat you in the 1/4.....
Any drag strips out there by the ocean?

Originally posted by SoCalBlk03
Ahhh the memories ....... and the misguided burnout contest :lol:

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
Cant explain it in a short way :bash:

But on the side note....guess what..
Jhwalker / James.....he almost won the Famoso race held by SVT. :beer: His name is on the SVT Enthusiast :D

Maybe some one can explain, cause when i was typing it. :nono: Tooooo long.

stang99

Consistent works for almost all racing. The basic difference in bracket racing is that you can be dog slow and win it all. Sort of negates the reason why poeple spend tons of money to get quick 1/4's and then an old beater Buick with a sick 6 cyl and an auto turns a perfect 19.0 with a great light and eliminates the 12 sec Cobra. It's also hard not to run the car down that starts before you do. All in all, not my idea of fun.

jhwalker

Dead Poster Walking
Established Member
I've thought that there could be change made to bracket racing that would actually give a slight advantage to the car setting the lower dial-in time (which is the time that you arbitrarily set as your predicted ET). If you go faster than your dial-in time, you have 'broken out' and generally are gone bye bye. If both cars break-out, the one who breaks out by the greatest amount goes bye bye. The best run is when you match your dial-in time on the nose, with a perfect (.500) reaction time. Hard to do for us mortals. The combined difference between your actual ET vs your dial in, plus your reaction time compared to your opponent's same numbers will determine who gets the win light.

OK, with my recommended modification to bracket racing, the car with the lower dial in gets a formula-driven advantage.

For instance, let's say the faster car will get 1/5 of the difference between dial-in times as the 'faster dial ' advantage.
Tetge dials at 12.0 I dial at 13.0 .
One second diff, so Tetge gets .2 advantage (1/5 of 1.0). Instead of me getting a 1.0 second head start with my 13.0 dial against his 12.0, I only get a .8 head start (1.0 - .2 = .8).
With equal reaction times, if both of us match our dial-in ETs -- Tetge wins due to the 'fast dial ' advantage.

Maybe 1/5 of the difference is too much, maybe it should be 1/10. But there should be some advantage for having invested in a fast car, and/or being a better driver. It SHOULD BE A RACE fer Christ's sake!! Yeh, somebody would have to think a little, and there is the possibility of calc error unless actually computed in the track system, etc.
But the good news would be that looking over at that ratty 6 cylinder, 2 speed automatic tranny station wagon lined up against you with a 18.0 dial -- and you have a 13.0 dial -- he has to beat you by 1 second net to knock you out.
BENEFITS:
1. It would incent folks to dial as low as possible (quit sandbagging).
2. It would incent folks to make their cars FAST.
3. You might actually see fast cars in the finals!

As it currently stands, bracket racing is a strange form of ET prediction plus reaction time with movement down the track for which a trophy is given. I'm with Tetge on this, :sleeping:

JW

stang99

I hate bracket racing so much that I actually lined up against FiveOhDean for a race one time. Of course he beat me my almost a minute even though I red lighted him on purpose and then he was talking about how he looked in his rear view mirror and my car was so small back in the distance that he couldn't hardly see me. But, at least I was running against another 03 Cobra, so it was sort of class racing. I try to race other Cobras if I can because they are all fast and they all present a fair challange. I have beat a few and lost to a bunch. But, other than my standard list of excuses (sippery track; wheel hop; missed a gear; clutch slipping; tire spinning; left the traction control on; asleep at the light; strange loss of power; hit the rev limiter; headwind; heat soaked; too much air in the tires; whatever?) the races were always fun. Bracket racing has never been fun for me. I usually lose fairly early on, but I usually put a number on my window just to get another run down the track.

stang99

I need more HP if I am going to race you guys. You all have lots of mods and tires and everything. I have bald tires and no HP. Friday nights are sort of slip and slide, so I am not sure yet. But, I have the advantage of living not too far from the strip so I can check out the conditions and then make a decision. I am trying to get my stuff together for the Chevy vs Ford thing since that will be on a Saturday with some track prep. I have hundreds of runs at LACR under my belt over the years with a number of different machines, so I don't need to practice there. I just need some more ponies under the hood. I prefer running there when the track is prepped since it is a completely different feeling to launch on a sticky surface other than the usual slick track that you see on grudge nights and at Carlsbad.

Originally posted by SonicVenum
F bracket racing!

Tetge, will we be seeing you out at LACR on 8/8?

There should be a few '03s you can run against that night.

SonicVenum

11 sec. Member
Established Member
Ah, but one thing you forget is that most of us, especially me, don't have much experience, and can't quite yet use the HP to it's full potential.

I do hope we have better air out there this time. I'd like to trap higher than 109!

stang99

The desire to reach certain goals is the suction that makes crazed drag racers out of some people. I always wanted a 12 sec car at LACR. Now that I have such a car, I sometimes am disappointed in its performance. But, that stack of 12 sec time slips on my daily driver represents success at acheiving my goal of all these years. I can't take any credit for this since Ford made the answer to my 12 sec quest when they produced the 03 Cobra. It took a few mods to get into the 12's at LACR, but, I'll never forget my first 12 sec run, especially since LACR took that moment to break their timeslip printer and I went up to the tower and got some handwritten figures on my run on a piece of scrap paper.
There is nothing at all wrong with a 109 mph trap speed at LACR since conditions there can make it very hard to get good numbers at times (wind/heat/altitude/track prep).

Originally posted by SonicVenum
Ah, but one thing you forget is that most of us, especially me, don't have much experience, and can't quite yet use the HP to it's full potential.

I do hope we have better air out there this time. I'd like to trap higher than 109!

stang99

Good. The more '03's that show up the better. I may even go once before the 23rd to season my Nittos. Maybe the Fri night before since I can disconnect my sway bar and pump my front tires up and strip the excess weight out of the car and it will be ready for Saturday. I should have the body back from the acid dip by then.

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
Originally posted by Tetge
Good. The more '03's that show up the better. I may even go once before the 23rd to season my Nittos. Maybe the Fri night before since I can disconnect my sway bar and pump my front tires up and strip the excess weight out of the car and it will be ready for Saturday. I should have the body back from the acid dip by then.

:eek:
Body Back from the Acid? Whats that all about?

Hum, i'll talk to George about it as well. He had a pretty good run last time out. Best so far & im sure with his new mods he will be itching to go.

:beer:

stang99

Back in the old days people used to dip the car's body parts and stuff in acid to eat away at them to lose weight. Then they'd sand them down and paint them up with lightwieght paint and they'd have a racing edge. Every bit of weight that could be eliminated was addressed. If you watch pro stock drag cars on ESPN, or the motorcycles, you will see exactly how close pro drag racing is. A tiny advantage can be the difference. It is said that you gain 1/10th for every 100 pounds. This means that you are already 1/10 quicker than I am and 2/10th quicker than Juan (he is in Laughlin now, isn't he?). On the '03, there is still a debate on whether or not you should remove the spare and run only a few gallons of gasoline because of traction issues, but, generally it would be a good idea to get the car as light as possible prior to running. Disconnecting the front sway bar is also said to be worth 1/10th. So, drop 100 pounds and take the sway bar loose and you have gained a free 2/10th's in the 1/4. Some people turn their outside mirrors in against the body and everyone pumps up their front tires as high as they dare. These are just regular drag racing practices. My Cobra rolls very freely so I know that no brakes are dragging or anything like that. Some repack all their bearings with synthetics to get less drag. I do run Mobile 1 already, which can add HP.

Originally posted by Poisonous Mods
:eek:
Body Back from the Acid? Whats that all about?

Hum, i'll talk to George about it as well. He had a pretty good run last time out. Best so far & im sure with his new mods he will be itching to go.

:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread