Chevrolet Suburban Owners

roadracer247

Established Member
Looking for at 3rd row SUV's for my wife. Looking at 2016-2019 Suburban's so we have enough room for all our stuff & our big German Shepherd.

These Suburban's are everywhere. Owner satisfaction seems high by those who own them. But are they as bad as the reliability ratings claim? Am I just buying a poorly built dinosaur? I don't mind simpler vs more technology. IMO less technology means less to go wrong in the long term.

We are a road trip kind of family. So I want something full sized. Comfy on interstate cruising. Rear captain's chairs. 4x4 is a must as we frequently visit family in Truckee, CA. Go skiing in the winter. Camping in the summer. Typical stuff. Definitely open to suggestions.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
I have had two and would buy another...my only complaint has been interior trim quality, fit and finish issues...I think ford does slightly better here, but still nothing to really write home about...The newer trucks are better in this regard than previous gen.

Recon

Established Member
I haven’t been impressed with the AFM on them, and the air ride is expensive if it breaks/fail. Other than that I like them.

Pick your poison.

roadracer247

Established Member
That could definitely be a problem since I'm only looking at the upper trim levels. LTZ & Premier.

roadracer247

Established Member
The Toyota Sequoia is in the same price range on the used market. That's my backup at the moment. She's also been talking about the Honda Pilot. I have zero experience with them. Probably reliable given it's a Honda? Just have to get over that it's basically a minivan.....

Recon

Established Member
That could definitely be a problem since I'm only looking at the upper trim levels. LTZ & Premier.

Several months ago, I had a 16 Tahoe in for the struts and it was air ride. My two primary part suppliers didn’t offer them but the conventional set up was. You could only get them from the dealer at that time, and it was painful. The aftermarket might have a replacement now but at the time they didn’t. It’s also a problem with the euro cars I see often . One in particular, a Mercedes, we completely deleted the air ride and it’s great. Though it was a big bill, she isn’t dealing with the complications of the air ride anymore.

Pick your poison.

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
I'm on my 4th Suburban. They start to fall apart around 150k miles. Electrical issues and oil leaks for the last 2 generations I've owned. Needless to say, this one may be my last.

roadracer247

Established Member
They sound like more of a pain in the ass than I want to deal with right now. I'm going to keep shopping around...

CLN 6R

Established Member
My Dad has a 2015 LTZ Suburban and it’s been great. He has it down in Florida right now. Only has about 40,000 miles on it. Driven to Florida multiple times, Maryland to visit my brother multiple times, Minnesota, the lake 2 hours away, etc. thing eats up highway miles and gets decent mileage doing it.

SHOdown220

Established Member
The Toyota Sequoia is in the same price range on the used market. That's my backup at the moment. She's also been talking about the Honda Pilot. I have zero experience with them. Probably reliable given it's a Honda? Just have to get over that it's basically a minivan.....

The new pilot has been a fairly reliable vehicle. Main issues we have seen is torque converter juddering on the 6AT that is in trim levels LX-exl. Touring and elite get then ZF 9 speed and although quirky, has been pretty good.

The torque converter judder is cured with a flush and a software update to maintain lower fluid temps. It's not a big deal at all.

The big deal is fuel injectors on all trim levels 16-18. They throw a misfire or air/fuel ratio fault and you have to replace all injectors, CP cost roughly $1700. Updated injectors and 19+ dont have the issue.

The injector issue is bad enough I'm all but certain honda will do a warranty extension on them soon. There is already a TSB and honda is pretty good about extending warranty on common failure items.

As far as the minivan comment yeah you're pretty much spot on there lol. They drive really nice and are comfortable but don't feel like a large old school SUV

Stateguy

Established Member
I got to see the new Tahoe a week ago. Chevrolet finally got the size right! It’s very similar to the sequoia but with more room behind the third row.

IMG_4512.JPG

IMG_4515.JPG

IMG_4514.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

roadracer247

Established Member
That new Tahoe looks legit. But I don't wanna be GM's Guinea pig.

The new pilot has been a fairly reliable vehicle. Main issues we have seen is torque converter juddering on the 6AT that is in trim levels LX-exl. Touring and elite get then ZF 9 speed and although quirky, has been pretty good.

The torque converter judder is cured with a flush and a software update to maintain lower fluid temps. It's not a big deal at all.

The big deal is fuel injectors on all trim levels 16-18. They throw a misfire or air/fuel ratio fault and you have to replace all injectors, CP cost roughly $1700. Updated injectors and 19+ dont have the issue.

The injector issue is bad enough I'm all but certain honda will do a warranty extension on them soon. There is already a TSB and honda is pretty good about extending warranty on common failure items.

As far as the minivan comment yeah you're pretty much spot on there lol. They drive really nice and are comfortable but don't feel like a large old school SUV

2019 Pilot Elite with AWD would work. Easy to find in like new condition too. Basically built for what my wife wants from an SUV. Thanks for the info!

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
I got to see the new Tahoe a week ago. Chevrolet finally got the size right! It’s very similar to the sequoia but with more room behind the third row.

View attachment 1625398
View attachment 1625399
View attachment 1625400

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Bad ass. We will be buying a 2021 with the l6 diesel when it is released next year. I cannot wait!!

Wife currently drives an 02 Suburban that just passed 200k miles. WE ABSOLUTELY ADORE this truck. All we do is gas and go. 6.0 LS motor with the 4l80e trans will literally last forever as a grocery-getter.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Bad ass. We will be buying a 2021 with the l6 diesel when it is released next year. I cannot wait!!

Wife currently drives an 02 Suburban that just passed 200k miles. WE ABSOLUTELY ADORE this truck. All we do is gas and go. 6.0 LS motor with the 4l80e trans will literally last forever as a grocery-getter.

Those old 01-05 were prolly the most reliable. Even more so with the GMC Denali

Users who are viewing this thread