Checking Interest in TF Icey Box IC res for cobras

Would you buy an Icey Box IC res for your cobra?

• yes

Votes: 13 34.2%
  • no

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • maybe

Votes: 16 42.1%
  • no way, I like adding ice at the track

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cobra04972tx1

HP, U CAN'T HAVE 2 MUCH
Established Member
Hey guys, I have been talking to Steve at Tru Forge about an Icey Box IR res for our cobras. It hooks into the A/C and cools the fluid to keep the temps down and the power up. No need to hassle with adding ice and such. Here is the link to the Lightning model which would be very similar to the one for the cobras, and he can add a holder for a small DynaBatt style battery, since this would go in the location of the stock, heavy battery. Let me know who thinks this is a good thing so we can get a group buy on it.
Thanks!
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=399643

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
lol, i thought you were talking about just the regular ICE box for the battery location. i didnt know you wanted the a/c powered version (ICey Res). we can do either one, but i just thought you just wanted the standard ice box.

if you do want the a/c powered unit to mount in your battery location, that's no problem AND you could still use your Pfab style ice box in conjunction with it to get even colder temps. that's what ill be doing on my car, except the ICey Res (a/c powered unit) will be remotely located in a hidden spot. i dont plan to relocate my battery or use a racing size one.

cobra04972tx1

HP, U CAN'T HAVE 2 MUCH
Established Member
Sorry for the confusion. When I first emailed you I was talking about a really big one like the Vortech and Canton units that replace the battery, so it could hold A LOT of fluid. I figured an A/C powerd one would be smaller, hence less weight, and allow me to put a small battery there as well, allowing me to remove the bulky 35+ lb battery off the nose. Could you make a larger, Canton style, and have it A/C powered as well, best of both worlds. Let me know.

Last edited:

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
Sorry for the confusion. When I first emailed you I was talking about a really big one like the Vortech and Canton units that replace the battery, so it could hold A LOT of fluid. I figured an A/C powerd one would be smaller, hence less weight, and allow me to put a small battery there as well, allowing me to remove the bulky 35+ lb battery off the nose. Could you make a larger, Canton style, and have it A/C powered as well, best of both worlds. Let me know.

we sure can. we're doing it for the Lightnings right now. we just designed a new one that is the size of a stock battery and mounts in the battery location. we didnt design that one to have a battery mount but that shouldnt be an issue.

best of both worlds would be having both the a/c powered ICey Res AND the standard ice box that you can cram ice into. :beer:

and we will likely be having these exclusively distributed by Lethal Performance when they are ready, so the price is likely to climb up. right now we're making exactly FIVE sealed, remote mount boxes. one is going in my car and one is going in Venomous01's cobra so he can do some data logging for us. that leaves 3. after that, it is possible that everyone will have to go to Lethal to buy them....

Last edited:

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
in fact, instead of making a new one that mounts in the battery location (cobra) you could just use the remote mount one that we're currently finishing up the design on. or just mount that one in the battery location. that way a new, 2nd design doesnt need to be done. the only difference would be the remote, hidden ICey Res wont have a cap. it will just be a completely sealed box. a battery location unit would be a little bit bigger (same core, just more capacity) and could sport a spiffy looking cap so you can see inside. but like i told you in PM, if youre the only one wanting one, it might be more costly since we'd have to design a whole new box.

we could easily add a battery mount to our sealed box, and tabs for it be mounted in the battery's location.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
What kind of warranty do you give on this product? Just curious.

one year warranty one the core. it should last the lifetime of the vehicle since its a standard a/c core. a new one is slightly over $100. either we would put a new one in its place or offer you a credit for a new one with yours as a core return. (depending on its cosmetic condition, wouldnt me much more).

lifetime warranty against manufacturer defect.

the only parts that could really have any kind of issues are the core (unlikely) and the o-rings which are a wearable item.

djtyau

Established Member
one year warranty one the core. it should last the lifetime of the vehicle since its a standard a/c core. a new one is slightly over $100. either we would put a new one in its place or offer you a credit for a new one with yours as a core return. (depending on its cosmetic condition, wouldnt me much more).

lifetime warranty against manufacturer defect.

the only parts that could really have any kind of issues are the core (unlikely) and the o-rings which are a wearable item.

Cool, thanks. I am seriously considering it.

RAZRS EDGE

Stay Humble
Established Member
I haven't had time to look at the link but how does this product compare to the RWTD Killer Chiller?

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
Steve, how about a deal on both the icebox and the icey res if you buy both?

im sure we could do something. the ice boxes are baaarely profitable as it is.

I haven't had time to look at the link but how does this product compare to the RWTD Killer Chiller?

ours is a simple plug and play installation. VERY easy to install. they both put out about the same numbers but ours is WAAAY cheaper.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
just sold another cobra one. that leaves 2 boxes left from the 5 we are currently building right now.

i retracted the killer offer i had going a few weeks ago because we need the cash to buy 20 cores and get these started. these are all well into production now and there are only 2 left to be sold. ill still offer the $15 off for anyone who pays in full up front though.

FaYgOkRiS

SVT BOSS 570
Established Member
I"m confused? Are we talking about an large style resevoir like the canton/ vortech box that sits where the stock battery is? That would also use the air conditioning to cool it off on commend like the concept 3rd gen Lightnings?

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
Will it not affect the coldness of air conditioning inside the car? :read:

no. you will need to add an extra can of R134a but it will not affect the a/c inside the car.

I"m confused? Are we talking about an large style resevoir like the canton/ vortech box that sits where the stock battery is? That would also use the air conditioning to cool it off on commend like the concept 3rd gen Lightnings?

that's what the OP wanted but for right now we're just focusing on one that will mount behind the bumper cover. yes, it uses the a/c system to cool the ic fluid on command.

badboysbailagnt

Established Member
i am a tech at a dealership and of course have access to the ac machine so i can get the pressures perfect to let you guys know exactly how much r134 is need if you want. I want to get this product but are there any dyno numbers of it

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
i'd like to see dyno #'s and pics before i commit, but i'm VERY interested in this product

Users who are viewing this thread