Check Engine Light??

snakebittn

Established Member
DAMNIT!! My check engine light came on in my 1998 cobra. I went and had the diagnostics run at the local Auto Zone, and it read some really funny sh!t. It said I had an IMRC INPUT ERROR (Bank 1). If anyone knows what the hell this means, please let me know. I appreciate all help. thanks.
P.S. It goes on and off at random, but i guess i gotta head to the f@$kin place where i got it and get it checked out. Man that place is bad about not gettin' to someones car for like a week, but o well. PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!

snakebittn

Established Member
no , none that ive really noticed only a loud noise comin from the tires when i'm excellerating. But I can hear no other noises. Thank you.

97espCobra

Established Member
IMRC Faults

Do you know anyone with a scan tool? There are diagnostic tests that can be done to pin point the problem. In general terms, the pcm is not receiving the desire output from the intake manifold runner controls (IMRC) for that particular bank. It could be a bad actuator or a corroded pin, etc. My car does this from time to time as well. Before I would take the car to a shop, try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes to clear the pcm codes. Connect the battery and drive, see if the check engine light goes away. Were you pushing the car pretty hard just before the light came on? Let me know, I will try to help as much as possible.

snakebittn

Established Member
yes i was pushing the car kinda hard and no i don't know anyone with a scan tool. I tried a few times disconnecting th battery and it would stay off for a couple of days, but then I would give a little(well a lot) of gas and it wold turn back on. I miht just end up taking it back to teh ford place I got it from, because when I boughtit I purchased the extended warranty for it. Thank you for all your help.

MidLifeCrisis

Established Member
Originally posted by snakebittn
DAMNIT!! My check engine light came on in my 1998 cobra. I went and had the diagnostics run at the local Auto Zone, and it read some really funny sh!t. It said I had an IMRC INPUT ERROR (Bank 1). If anyone knows what the hell this means, please let me know. I appreciate all help. thanks.
P.S. It goes on and off at random, but i guess i gotta head to the f@$kin place where i got it and get it checked out. Man that place is bad about not gettin' to someones car for like a week, but o well. PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know exactly what that code means. It is one of two things:

(1.) Either the inlet manifold runner control servo is sticking intermittenly or:
(2.) The inlet manifold runner (between head and intake manifold) has a lot oily crap/sludge causing the secondaries not to fully close.
IMRC_1.jpg

IMRC_2.jpg

Please note that the top photo shows the runner temp. installed to the intake. The runner is not shown on bottom photo.
I hope this helps. It is more than likely the servo going bad. You have to take the intake off to change the servo so go ahead and clean the runners while you have access.

Last edited:

snakebittn

Established Member
Thanks to all that replyed ur help is greatly appreciated. I will have this done soon, veeeeeeeeeeeeeery sooooooon!!!!!!!! Thank You!

Users who are viewing this thread