Check engine light

buddha93

Established Member
I would recommend finding someone who has access to FORD IDS to find this issue for your cylinder 8 misfire.

It can only be 3 things:

*Fuel Injector
*Coil/Bad Spark plug
*Cylinder Issue (Piston,Valve or cylinder)

Tests to run:

Misfire Test to confirm the cylinder

View attachment 1836453

Fuel injector Test (Bad injector and/or electrical harness or PCM issue)

View attachment 1836450

Cylinder Power Balance Test (How much each cylinder contributes. If the failing cylinder isn't fuel related run COP (Coil on plug) test to check for a faulty coil.

View attachment 1836451

Compression Test (If a cylinder fails in this test confirm with a manual gauge compression and leak down test)

View attachment 1836452

I've run these tests frequently for many customers. A qualified auto electrician should be able to have you answers on how and what failed in 5 hours or less.

^^^^^^^ This

nickstobias

cobracommander04
Established Member
Cracked ringland on cylinder 8 this time,6 years ago was cylinder 5

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
I wonder if it’s a fuel issue
You should be monitoring AFR among other vital systems. AeroForce Interceptor with a wideband O2 sensor is one monitoring solution. You can record a WOT run and playback, so you don't have to stare at the guage at full throttle.

AeroForce Interceptor.jpg

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
When my engine needs to be rebuilt, I am doing it ONCE, all in the right way for my application. JDM Engineering will be handling my build and tuning; I am very fortunate that they are within driving distance from my home. If I were to hurt the engine a second time, I would be parting out and selling a roller chassis. I have savings set aside when needed, but no way I would do it a second time for a good weather fun car... but that's just me.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
You should be monitoring AFR among other vital systems. AeroForce Interceptor with a wideband O2 sensor is one monitoring solution. You can record a WOT run and playback, so you don't have to stare at the guage at full throttle.

View attachment 1837301

part of it but if it's pinging due to excessive timing for the fuel and he can't hear it..

It doesn't take much of a rattle to bust the ring land on a stock/stock style piston

Vinnie_B

"LIVE LIFE AT FULL THROTTLE"
Established Member
Premium Member
part of it but if it's pinging due to excessive timing for the fuel and he can't hear it..

It doesn't take much of a rattle to bust the ring land on a stock/stock style piston
This is true! Thats why I aways run a misfire monitor/Power Balance test periodically on my 5.8 due to the quality of gas and /or spark timing issues and anyone else's hi performance ford motors I service. I bounce tests off previous one's to track potential issues before catastrophic failures occur.

20210921_065428(1).jpg

20210921_065340.jpg

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member

I don't disagree.

I know what pinging sounds like, and I would get off the gas pedal if I heard it. I was south of Fresno, CA when I first installed my 725HP FR/Whipple kit with ProCal tune. I would get mild to moderate pinging at WOT with fresh top tier 91 octane. Thankfully, I re-located to the east coast with quality 93 octane not long after and haven't heard pinging since and my spark plugs always look great. You have to keep an eye on everything when you are get'n after it!

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
This is true! Thats why I aways run a misfire monitor/Power Balance test periodically on my 5.8 due to the quality of gas and /or spark timing issues and anyone else's hi performance ford motors I service. I bounce tests off previous one's to track potential issues before catastrophic failures occur.

View attachment 1837320
View attachment 1837321

this is why my mach 1 has a J&S knock detection and timing retard system installed. It's unfortunate you can't log it but the gauge will tell you when it's detecting anything it believes to be knock and pulls timing on the offending cylinder(s) automatically

Vinnie_B

"LIVE LIFE AT FULL THROTTLE"
Established Member
Premium Member
this is why my mach 1 has a J&S knock detection and timing retard system installed. It's unfortunate you can't log it but the gauge will tell you when it's detecting anything it believes to be knock and pulls timing on the offending cylinder(s) automatically
Thankfully I have an Ngauge installed. So, anytime I'm out doing some spirited driving rest assure I'm data logging and closely monitoring that Knock PID. I've experienced some mild knocking/pinging in the past and the timing retards respectively with the current tune. Mild knocking/pinging has always been related to gas (Octane quality) issues. If it wasn't for the data logging I wouldn't even known its happened. Thank god its always been mild thou.....:oops:.

Users who are viewing this thread