Check Engine light Update

nickstobias

cobracommander04
Established Member
2 Pistons shot, and a 3rd one on its way out, also found out my radiator has mud in it and there is no coolant in it? WTF? Obviously a heat issue

HKusp

Established Member
Ouch...sorry to hear, but time for a rebuild. Spec it out the way you want and make it better.

Carnage pics are always appreciated

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
When you say radiator, do you mean coolant reservoir attached to the radiator? The OEM Gold coolant breaks down over time and does leave residue that sort of looks like mud in the reservoir.

If you truly had a coolant temp problem, your coolant temp guage would have crept up to the red, and I believe you get a coolant hot light.

AeroForce Interceptor also monitors Engine Coolant Temp (ECT) and Cylinder Head Temp (CHT). Early GT500's (as well as GTs) have crappy low and high speed cooling fan circuits, and you can actually see melted plastic and charred pins under the relays in the under hood main fuse and relay panel. When the low speed fan circuit quits working, the high speed circuit will protect you for a while... until it fails also. Since I experienced these failures, I constantly monitor ECT.

nickstobias

cobracommander04
Established Member
From the guy working on my car now

There was coolant in radiator. The drain is plugged up so my concern was proper flow of coolant if bottom part is plugged up

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

nickstobias

cobracommander04
Established Member
So there was some I think what he meant was it was inefficiently cooling the car

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

RandomForumGuy

Established Member
Sorry to hear. 99% of the time engine rebuilds are a result of a failure and arent planned (ask me how i know). But like HK said, a blank canvas is a blessing in disguise especially for the 5.4L engines. It will take awhile and probably be a massive headache along the way but the end result is always worth it if you have a good builder and quality parts.

Also there was a tsb out awhile back from ford stating that the new yellow coolant replaces the oem (i believe orange) that came in certain 5.4’s. If you are going through the coolant system anyway it might be worth while looking into switching to something better.

I run gold in my diesel still only because i dont want to do the lengthy flush process. But i run a coolant filter, top off with ford coolant additive and still drain and replace every 3 years. Not the best stuff

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread