check engine light question

playwithmysnake

car is forsale
Established Member
I have had my bassani xpipe with cats on my 01 cobra for about 3 months now, and my check engine lights has just been coming on, i was wondering if anyone else has had this problem? I heard that i would only need the MIL eliminators if i got the offroad pipe.and i have cats. when i disconnet my battery the computer will reset and take the light off , but it comes back on in about a week. any info would be great
thanks bruce

SLOWBRA

Established Member
You will have a few tell you its one thing and a few tell you it is another.

First thing I would obviously check is if the code is indeed coming from the 02's.. Of course, unless you know someone with a reader this will cost money.

If you are sure it's cause of the pipe, then I would get the MIL eliminators.

Your problem is not uncommon with the Bassani Cats...

Shawn

Mach0ne351

Established Member
hey
ok, i have the bassani xpipe, but i havent had the light come on yet. they told me that it would come on right away when i put it on, but it never did. i have had the xpipe for about a little over 1 month, and nothing but good stuff from it. the orignal hpipe that came with our cars had 4 cats....but the bassani has 2. the only way that i can think of, that makes the light go on is, the computer gets a different signal from the 02 sensor now because of the xpipe getting worn-in. so, unfortunatly, the 02 are pickin up different signals, and that will make the light come on. call bassani, see waht they say...or you can the MIL eliminator for about $40-60. thats my $0.02.....hope it helps

-marek

kwiksnake

Established Member
Mine does the exact same thing. I took it to Ford when it first happened and they said the o2 sensors were what caused the light and they replaced them for free once. They said if it happened again that I would need to pay for them because of the x-pipe, even though it has cats on it. Best thing to do is get those MIL eliminators because the engine runs too rich without them.

SLOWBRA

Established Member
I agree with you about the cats.

The one thing I don't understand is why the folks with Magnaflow Catted X's don't have this problem?

I haven't seen 1 post about a person with a MagnaFlow Catted X complaining about a light turning on. However, I am not saying it isn't possible.

A MIL is the only solution! Not to expensive either.

Shawn

99Cobra Supercharged

Established Member
I would check the O2 sensors.. Depending on who intsalled the X-Pipe.. The front 2 O2 sensors are a pain in th ass to unplug.. What I have seen installers do is not unplug the 02 sensor and just unscrew it.. This causes the wires to break and you usually get a code that says your heating eliment in the O2 sensor is not working or the sensor is failed. You might even just crawl under and take a look at the sensors.. I think its the passegers side thats the worst. But the ford dealer (Job 1) broke 3 of teh 4, 02's on my car during a transmission replacement. Bunch of Monkeys that work down there.:smmon:

Users who are viewing this thread