Check engine light came on today...

USV8PWR

Established Member
So my 2013 Shelby GT500 just crossed over the 1,000 mile mark and the check engine light came on today. I know I need to do a review soon but I've been so busy loving my new sweet ride! Anyway, I tried turning the car off and restarting it and that didn't make the light disappear. It drives and seems to run fine, no rough idling or anything like that. The only "mods", if you will, are a Ford Racing Resonator delete and an Air Raid filter I put on at about 100 miles. I was pretty easy on the car for these past 1000 miles, so I'm perplexed as to what the light could be for.

Any ideas on what it could be causing it? It will be a while before I have time to take it into the local Ford dealer and if there is a common problem popping up or an easy fix I'd like to know about it before taking it in. Thanks you all! :rockon:

jsdeweyusmc

Established Member
As far as I know there is no problems crossing the 1000 mark. I have over 9300 on mind and no check light has ever came on. If stays on need to get into service.

dustin88lx

Established Member
As far as I know there is no problems crossing the 1000 mark. I have over 9300 on mind and no check light has ever came on. If stays on need to get into service.

Agreed the only way to really know is to take it in to the dealership or at a minimum to auto zone and let them scan it with the odb 2 and see what kind of code its throwing....im willing to bet a po171 b1 or b2 lean...check your clamps on your resonator and air filter make sure its not sucking unmetered air.

Snoopy49

Established Member
Take it over to your local Auto Zone or equivalent store and borrow their code reader. That will at least tell you why the light came on and you should be able to reset it and see if it comes back on. Maybe it was just a glitch?

mullens

Established Member
I would just take it into the dealer. It's under warranty no need to screw with it. This way it's documented in case it turns out to be a chronic problem. Even if you find out wbat it is the code is probably not going to clear on its own. Just my .02

Last edited:

Ban One

Established Member
i would just take it into the dealer. It's under warranty no need to screw with it. This way it's documented in case it turns out to be a chronic problem. Even if you find out wbat it is the code is probably not going to clear on its own. Just my .02

+1

USV8PWR

Established Member
Yes of course I'm gonna take it into the dealer. That's a given. But I've got to work this week, then go out of town for the holidays, and eventually make the time to take it in. Luckily this is just a 4th car. Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone else has had any check engine light issues with an otherwise stock GT500.

svt 500

Established Member
What type of gas station did you fill up at last?

I know of someone who didn't tighten the cap once and it kicked the light on - probably not the reason for this but a easy check anyway.

91svtbird

Established Member
Does the new AirRaid filter have an inlet screen like the OEM filter's do? The screen is very important in these new factory "ram air" equipped cars to keep the air flow smooth over the sensor. (as opposed to the older 07-09's) I assume you still have the ram air tube and bucket connected?

It will be interesting to see what your engine code actually is.

Snoopy49

Established Member
You guys have a lot more patience than me, if it were my car, I would have been banging on my friends door asking to borrow his code reader as soon as the light came on.

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
You guys have a lot more patience than me, if it were my car, I would have been banging on my friends door asking to borrow his code reader as soon as the light came on.

Yup. Exactly. I have a Scan Guage II which I use to monitor a lot of engine vitals. I recommend pulling the code and resetting it (clearing the check engine light). If the fault is legitimate, it will return. THEN, I would take it to the stealer.....

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
Airaid filters dont have a screen but most run them with no issues....it could be something as simple as a loose connection or sensor

SVTKen

Established Member
If it were my car, that code would have been read 10 minutes after I saw the CEL. It's probably nothing serious, but I recommend you get it checked out right away. If you don't have time to do it soon, don't tell the dealer you were driving it around for a week, just in case.

662HP631TQ

Established Member
I know that many people mod without problems but any few that do, shies me away from modding this under warranty. I did purchase splash guards (front and rear), hood struts, shorty antenna, and the "no drill" license plate bracket.

I also bought a code reader as well in case anything happened initially. I don't know why folks don't buy one the SAME DAY they pick up the car. That is a complete necessity.

USV8PWR

Established Member
What type of gas station did you fill up at last?

Chris, the last gas I had put in it before it went of was No Ethanol 93 at a station near Clarksville, TN. I filled up passing through there on my way to Western KY, filled up again at some random station in Western KY, and then used the No Ethanol gas again while passing back through. The car ran fine (actually stronger). It had approx 75 miles to empty so I didn't refill it when we got back home from our trip. Still no issues. I then took it on a 15 mile drive a day or two later to have it tinted at a shop and put in about $20 of Sunoco 93 (I hate to fill it up this time of year especially when it will sit for an extended period of time now). Anyway, yesterday I started it up and it threw a code but ran fine. I refilled the tank with 93 and it did not go away.

Does the new AirRaid filter have an inlet screen like the OEM filter's do? The screen is very important in these new factory "ram air" equipped cars to keep the air flow smooth over the sensor. (as opposed to the older 07-09's) I assume you still have the ram air tube and bucket connected?

Yeah the AirRaid does NOT have a screen like the factory filters. The ram air tube and bucket are connected, the only other piece I changed out was the resonator. I didn't do a cold air intake as I do not want to tune my car (at least while I am paying for it).

It will be interesting to see what your engine code actually is.

Yup. Exactly. I have a Scan Guage II which I use to monitor a lot of engine vitals. I recommend pulling the code and resetting it (clearing the check engine light). If the fault is legitimate, it will return. THEN, I would take it to the stealer.....

I may do this PhoenixM3. Just to see if it does reappear.

If it were my car, that code would have been read 10 minutes after I saw the CEL. It's probably nothing serious, but I recommend you get it checked out right away. If you don't have time to do it soon, don't tell the dealer you were driving it around for a week, just in case.

Goes without saying. I had to drive it some yesterday as we were already out. But if I don't have time to take it to the dealer, I don't have time to drive it around.

I know that many people mod without problems but any few that do, shies me away from modding this under warranty. I did purchase splash guards (front and rear), hood struts, shorty antenna, and the "no drill" license plate bracket.

I also bought a code reader as well in case anything happened initially. I don't know why folks don't buy one the SAME DAY they pick up the car. That is a complete necessity.

Exactly my thoughts, I won't be modding it anytime soon and I bought an extended warranty as well.

rancid

Established Member
I'd go check your hose connections as well and make sure you got the resonator all the way into each tube it connects to. Also check the bottom of the air filter to make sure you lined it up properly since it is a snug fit.

Worse comes to worse, remove the mods and reset the battery and see if it comes back. If it does, it isn't your mods.

Users who are viewing this thread