Cheapest way to ship rims

Adower

Established Member
I am looking to sell a set of rims with no tires. I went to UPS and they quoted me 124$ per box ~500$ to ship them all with tax (fedex was more expensive than UPS). Is there a cheaper way to ship them?

Last edited:

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I'd strap them to a pallet and ship them via Dohrn.

HillbillyHotRod

Hooligan rabble rouser
Established Member
Strange. Had some rims with tires shipped to me from Alaska and he only charged me a $100 extra for shipping. Thats $25 per wheel and tire. They were not boxed tho. May have sent them freight.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
I am looking to sell a set of rims with no tires. I went to UPS and they quoted me 124$ per box ~500$ to ship them all with tax (fedex was more expensive than UPS and us postal service was more expensive than fedex). Is there a cheaper way to ship them?

are you using wheel boxes or boxes from the box supply store? did you go to an actual fedex office location? or an authorized place?

UPS stores are franchises. they have to charge the same amount that corporate quotes on their website. but they can charge whatever they want for insurance and other fees (so ive been told). from my experience in dealing with them their prices are outrageous.

fedex should be that much, which is why i ask if its from an actual fedex office store or an authorized shipper? could be the same deal with an authorized shipper.

you can also ship via Greyhound. theyre pretty cheap for large bulky items. the seller and buyer just have to be willing to go the greyhound bus stop.

Adower

Established Member
are you using wheel boxes or boxes from the box supply store? did you go to an actual fedex office location? or an authorized place?

UPS stores are franchises. they have to charge the same amount that corporate quotes on their website. but they can charge whatever they want for insurance and other fees (so ive been told). from my experience in dealing with them their prices are outrageous.

fedex should be that much, which is why i ask if its from an actual fedex office store or an authorized shipper? could be the same deal with an authorized shipper.

you can also ship via Greyhound. theyre pretty cheap for large bulky items. the seller and buyer just have to be willing to go the greyhound bus stop.

Went to an authorized shipper for UPS and FedEx? I went to a UPS store and FedEx/Kinkos.

I used some boxes from a supply store. I tried to call around to a few wheel shops locally to see if I could bum some of their old boxes but had no luck.

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
Find a friend with a FedEx business account.

I just sold a set of tires, Massachusetts to Indiana, FedEx on line was $68 per tire, $272 total !

I went to my buddy’s work, they have an account because they ship so much, and it was $24 per tire, $96 total. Needless to say I paid my friend and gave him a six pack of beer.

Adower

Established Member
Find a friend with a FedEx business account.

I just sold a set of tires, Massachusetts to Indiana, FedEx on line was $68 per tire, $272 total !

I went to my buddy’s work, they have an account because they ship so much, and it was $24 per tire, $96 total. Needless to say I paid my friend and gave him a six pack of beer.

How many beers does your buddy want so I can use his acct..lol

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
Went to an authorized shipper for UPS and FedEx? I went to a UPS store and FedEx/Kinkos.

I used some boxes from a supply store. I tried to call around to a few wheel shops locally to see if I could bum some of their old boxes but had no luck.

ALL UPS stores are franchises, that i know of. and they can charge what they want for any extra services (insurance, signature confirmation, etc). the fedex office/kinkos store is surprising. maybe see if you can find an actual fedex hub location that ships stuff out and get a quote there.

find a wheel/tire shop that does a lot of wheels. they just throw the boxes away. wheel boxes have triple wall construction and are heavy duty. not sure about regular shipping boxes. just so your stuff doesnt get fubar'd in shipping.

on Greyhound, they just place the boxes under the buss, like luggage. so less likely to get thrown around as there are likely customers standing there as they load and unload/transfer. no conveyor belts or trucks or warehouses involved.

LuuisHernandez

Established Member
I shipped a set of wheels and tires for less than 100 from Greyhound. Texas to California.

Pack it yourself and pack them well.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Users who are viewing this thread