Charger 392 vs. 07 GT500

hRnYg0aTw33d

Established Member
Had just finished doing a full wash and wax on my car and went for a cruise to Lowes and get some grub. Had gone through an intersection in Mexico and saw a blacked out Charger taking the turn on to the street behind me. I just kept cruising as im looking in my rear view I can see him weaving to catch up, I usually don’t like to instigate because my car sticks out blatantly lol.

He cruises up next to me and I just went about my business in the off chance that this may have been an undercover of some sort. After a mile or so of us putting the feelers out there the road opened up in front of us. So I jumped over a lane and rev matched 2nd. He pulls up next to me and rolls down his window with his girlfriend in the passenger seat ‘Wanna go on 3?’ he says. So I threw the thumbs up. If I had to guess, I’d say we probably did a 50 hit. He took the hit on 3 but I immediately jumped a nose on him. Hit the top of second and flat footed 3rd. Proceeded to put a bus length on the guy and let out in 4th.

The car had what looked like Borla mufflers on it. Not sure if it was tuned or anything, judging by the exhaust I’d say it was just an axle or catback. Surely my car was heat soaked during the run. I have yet to install my C&R fanned heat exchanger. It was exciting to get the run in though as I know a few people (including my roommate) that will be driving 392’s this year.

Kind of figured that would be the outcome, but thought I would share. God damn it feels good to have car season back in full swing.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
That's awesome.
Where in MA was this?

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
Expected outcome. The factory exhaust on a 392 is fairly aggressive. The mufflers do resemble Borla as they are round with big tips. Do you know if scatpak 392 or SRT392? The scatpaks don't have adjustable trans or suspension settings. The SRT is essentially a HC sans charger. I can adjust the trans from street to sport to track. In track it rips shifts pretty quickly, but still no run for a modded GT500. But based on my experience with a stock 09 GT500 feel pretty confident it'd give that car a run for it's money.

hRnYg0aTw33d

Established Member
Expected outcome. The factory exhaust on a 392 is fairly aggressive. The mufflers do resemble Borla as they are round with big tips. Do you know if scatpak 392 or SRT392? The scatpaks don't have adjustable trans or suspension settings. The SRT is essentially a HC sans charger. I can adjust the trans from street to sport to track. In track it rips shifts pretty quickly, but still no run for a modded GT500. But based on my experience with a stock 09 GT500 feel pretty confident it'd give that car a run for it's money.

Maybe it was the stock exhaust then? Not too sure. And it must have been the SRT 392 because I didn't see any Scat Pack badging anywhere. Just the standard 392 badges.

Yea I had kind of expected the outcome going into it but was cool nonetheless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
OP you were heat soaked when it was 50 degrees outside running on the highway? Not likely.

Congrats on the win but a modded GT500 is a beat down for a N/A 392 charger/challenger. You probably have 100 hp on him and weigh ~300 lbs less.

Stock for stock, would be a damn good run.... Dodge might even win.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
I think stock for stock it would be damn close. I want to say I had one of the fastest factory stock 07-09 times at 12.16 @ 113 in my 09 GT500. I should see soon what a stock 392 Charger is gonna run.

hRnYg0aTw33d

Established Member
OP you were heat soaked when it was 50 degrees outside running on the highway? Not likely.

Congrats on the win but a modded GT500 is a beat down for a N/A 392 charger/challenger. You probably have 100 hp on him and weigh ~300 lbs less.

Stock for stock, would be a damn good run.... Dodge might even win.

Oh my bad I didn't realize you're from MA. So you must have known that it was 80+ degrees on Easter Sunday. And this particular road is not an interstate highway. It's a route with lights every mile or so.

As stated in my original post. 'I kind of figured that would be the outcome' I wasn't even going to bother with the guy but he asked, I obliged. Don't need to piss in the Cheerios.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm not from MA, but I was in Mexico this weekend. It was gorgeous outside.

It's your story partner. .... :)

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
i had a very close run with a 2015 392 dodge challenger in my pulley/tune terminator, so i think they'd be too much for a stock 07 gt500. i only barely started to walk him after i shifted to 3rd gear

Users who are viewing this thread