Changing the A6 Shifting

Tim Comer

Established Member
The A6 is setup to shift based on MPH. Is there any way to get it to shift based on RPM? Like maybe shift at 6000 RPM? My SCT tuner sets shift points at 10 MPH increments. I'd like to fine tune the shifting a little bit.

Tim Comer

Established Member
The car already has a tune in it from Beefcake when the blower was installed. The problem is, on launch and the tires break loose, the car does a 1-3 shift. skipping second gear. Then the engine pulls down, car gets traction and then shifts back to first. When that happens, the engine redlines, shifts back to third causing the rear end to swing all over the place. I'm trying to get a 1-2-3 shift.

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
The car already has a tune in it from Beefcake when the blower was installed. The problem is, on launch and the tires break loose, the car does a 1-3 shift. skipping second gear. Then the engine pulls down, car gets traction and then shifts back to first. When that happens, the engine redlines, shifts back to third causing the rear end to swing all over the place. I'm trying to get a 1-2-3 shift.

You have a traction problem that changing the shift points won't help. You might need a sticker tire.
What suspension mods do you have? Any to assist weight transfer and help traction?

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor

Tim, we have talked about this, you need to get traction under control. The shift points are not the issue.

The car is actually tuned to shift off mph / rpm combined. So based upon both conditions the car is going to do what it is commanded to do.

Your car has close to 700hp. You need some stickies on that thing.

You have a traction problem that changing the shift points won't help. You might need a sticker tire.
What suspension mods do you have? Any to assist weight transfer and help traction?

Exactly.

4VFTW

Established Member
The shift functions on the 6r80 are overly complicated . You should be able to program the shifts off rpm only at least under wot , but that's not the case so any wheel spin plays havoc with the shift points

Tim Comer

Established Member
Hey Terry. Yeah, I know. I need to tie this car to the ground. I saw another thread about when a car shifts quickly to third, the A6 goes into a limp mode and pulls back power. That would explain why the car falls on it's nose so fast when it hits 3rd. The car launches hard and is pulling hard when the tires start to haze. I just have in my mind, if I can get it to hit 2nd, instead if skipping to third, I can get the car under control.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Hey Terry. Yeah, I know. I need to tie this car to the ground. I saw another thread about when a car shifts quickly to third, the A6 goes into a limp mode and pulls back power. That would explain why the car falls on it's nose so fast when it hits 3rd. The car launches hard and is pulling hard when the tires start to haze. I just have in my mind, if I can get it to hit 2nd, instead if skipping to third, I can get the car under control.

after the car makes it to 3rd gear. the wheel speed itself slows down allowing traction to catch up. when traction catches up, the wheels quit spinning, that's why it slows down

it's not pulling power, the tires are catching and dragging the rpm back down, so it feels like power pulling.

once the rpm's and mph catch back up (you have a false mph because of the tire spinning), it then downshifts back to where it should be.

A good set of tires will go along way to helping your issue. You can start there and work on suspension as well, but a tire is going to be your biggest asset right now

92fiveohfox

Established Member
I have the same problem with mine at the track if I don't heat my nittos enough and get bad wheel spin going into 2nd. I don't think it can be tuned out.

Tim Comer

Established Member
The more I learn, the less I know. 700hp? I thought I was around 625hp. I figured I was losing around 75hp between the engine and the tires. I may need wider tires if I have that much. Even after the suspension parts go on.

Last edited:

stang910

Established Member
Everytime I go to the track I fight this same issue. You have to work on getting the power to the ground. If you don't fix the traction issue you'll never get the car to shift right.

stang910

Established Member
I started with a 26x11.5x15 Hoosier QTP and went to a 295/55/15 Hoosier drag radial and both tires have given me issues. I see guys doing pretty good on stock suspension, even when lowered and that's what I was going for, but no luck. I decided the only way I'm gonna get traction is to get my suspension set up correctly. I'm tired of watching my buddy cut 1.3 60's on the same track (and tire) that I can't get any traction on.

It's hard to say if just a better tire will fix your traction issues caues it didn't help me any, but do tires + suspension and you should be able to get power down.

4VFTW

Established Member
If your spinning QTPs you definitely need to look at the suspension...those tires hook hard.

Last edited:

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
OP are you sure the tires are warmed up? in cold weather even with DRs your not gonna get traction if the tires aren't warm enough

Tim Comer

Established Member
That's one problem. Once I got the car back it was getting cold. I really haven't had a chance to fool with it. It's put up for winter right now. I was just surprised at how easily it spun those tires. When it was stock, you couldn't make them spin. Plus I'm kinda old school. Never had a tranny act like that.

Users who are viewing this thread