Changing out Fluids

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
I'm getting ready to change out the supercharger fluid and transmission fluid in my 03 Cobra and just checking in here to see what is best to use. After reading old threads on here I believe I'm going to get Royal Purple Synchromax ATF for the stock transmission(4 quarts), and ACDelco 10-4041 (12345-982) 8oz. for the supercharger oil.

I'm wondering if there are any better choices out there that I should get instead. Let me know your thoughts.

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
In case this helps anyone else out there, I made a change on the transmission oil front and went with Pennzoil Synchromesh instead of the Royal Purple. I found some great feedback on the Pennzoil stuff.

IllCobra

Established Member
In case this helps anyone else out there, I made a change on the transmission oil front and went with Pennzoil Synchromesh instead of the Royal Purple. I found some great feedback on the Pennzoil stuff.
I did the same research a couple months ago for transmission fluid when wanting to find the best oil for my new magnum and Amsoil's ATF Signature Series can't be beat. I was able to get a gallon for $55, which is dirt cheap based on what I have seen from other sites. I read too many mixed reviews from Royal Purple. Pennzoil Synchromesh should work great too though, they make one of the best motor oils out there - Pennzoil Platinum Ultra. And that's all I use on all my cars. Amsoil just makes slightly better oils than Pennzoil but at a cost to your wallet. Which is why I stick with Pennzoil for motor oil but went with Amsoil for transmission since I regularly change my motor oil but don't need to change my transmission oil as frequent. Plus, like I said, I got a good deal on it.
This is it here

1657403388355.png

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
Thanks for the input and posting a pic of the stuff, it's pretty helpful to me to see exactly what people are referring to (a picture is worth a thousand words). I've always heard great things about Amsoil too. I will have to see about using it in the future since I've already pulled the trigger on the Pennzoil stuff. I saw some mixed reviews on Royal Purple as well and why I made the switch. I was shocked to see some of the reviews but glad I did.

IllCobra

Established Member
Thanks for the input and posting a pic of the stuff, it's pretty helpful to me to see exactly what people are referring to (a picture is worth a thousand words). I've always heard great things about Amsoil too. I will have to see about using it in the future since I've already pulled the trigger on the Pennzoil stuff. I saw some mixed reviews on Royal Purple as well and why I made the switch. I was shocked to see some of the reviews but glad I did.
No problem at all. But now that you mention a picture being worth a thousand words, it actually is worth $74 - at least in my case. Cause when I was doing research, at first, all I was reading was how great Amsoil's ATF Signature Series was and this and that. So I decided to go with that. Well, I looked on Amsoil's website and at the time I think they were asking over $100 for a gallon. I said hell no and jumped on Facebook market. Found 2 gallons of Amsoil's ATF Signature Series for $74 after shipping from a guy. Ordered that, they came in, all good..right? Nope. I decided to brag to my brother what a good deal I got on the oil and jumped on Amsoil's website to show him and found that they made 2 ATF Signature Series oils - a Red label and a Blue label. I don't know how I didn't see the other label before but I did this time. The one I bought was the blue label. I went back onto google and researched again and did find a few people mention to make sure you get the red label. Well damn I said. I called the place where I bought the magnum from and he said that blue label Amsoil should work fine, but he didn't sound too convincing. So I called Amsoil and they said I really should be going with their red label on these manual transmissions... That was enough for me to go back into FB market and find someone. I ended up finding a local guy that was a dealer for them and he ended up getting me a gallon for $55.
If someone would have posted a picture of the stuff it would have saved me $74 cause they're named the same damn thing haha They even look the same except the color. I don't know what one has vs the other. I did end up selling one of the gallons for $50 to someone and I have one sitting with my other car stuff. So if anyone from the future ever finds this thread, and you're going with Amsoil on your T56 (magnum or not) go with the RED label not blue.
I'll even post a picture of that one too
1657749611750.png

IllCobra

Established Member
All good now. The blue is still unopened and I'll probably use it for another car or something...or sell it

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Call D&D Performance/Donnie Walsh and get their specialty oil designed for Tremec transmissions. They worked with OEMs in racing programs (one being Cadillac who had to run OEM TR6060s in CTS-Vs like IMSA).
Several quality options exist like those mentioned above but Donnie wanted me to run his oil in my Mag XL 1200hp GT500 application.
-J

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
I did the same research a couple months ago for transmission fluid when wanting to find the best oil for my new magnum and Amsoil's ATF Signature Series can't be beat. I was able to get a gallon for $55, which is dirt cheap based on what I have seen from other sites. I read too many mixed reviews from Royal Purple. Pennzoil Synchromesh should work great too though, they make one of the best motor oils out there - Pennzoil Platinum Ultra. And that's all I use on all my cars. Amsoil just makes slightly better oils than Pennzoil but at a cost to your wallet. Which is why I stick with Pennzoil for motor oil but went with Amsoil for transmission since I regularly change my motor oil but don't need to change my transmission oil as frequent. Plus, like I said, I got a good deal on it.
This is it here

View attachment 1754137

No problem at all. But now that you mention a picture being worth a thousand words, it actually is worth $74 - at least in my case. Cause when I was doing research, at first, all I was reading was how great Amsoil's ATF Signature Series was and this and that. So I decided to go with that. Well, I looked on Amsoil's website and at the time I think they were asking over $100 for a gallon. I said hell no and jumped on Facebook market. Found 2 gallons of Amsoil's ATF Signature Series for $74 after shipping from a guy. Ordered that, they came in, all good..right? Nope. I decided to brag to my brother what a good deal I got on the oil and jumped on Amsoil's website to show him and found that they made 2 ATF Signature Series oils - a Red label and a Blue label. I don't know how I didn't see the other label before but I did this time. The one I bought was the blue label. I went back onto google and researched again and did find a few people mention to make sure you get the red label. Well damn I said. I called the place where I bought the magnum from and he said that blue label Amsoil should work fine, but he didn't sound too convincing. So I called Amsoil and they said I really should be going with their red label on these manual transmissions... That was enough for me to go back into FB market and find someone. I ended up finding a local guy that was a dealer for them and he ended up getting me a gallon for $55.
If someone would have posted a picture of the stuff it would have saved me $74 cause they're named the same damn thing haha They even look the same except the color. I don't know what one has vs the other. I did end up selling one of the gallons for $50 to someone and I have one sitting with my other car stuff. So if anyone from the future ever finds this thread, and you're going with Amsoil on your T56 (magnum or not) go with the RED label not blue.
I'll even post a picture of that one too
View attachment 1754449
Your point is well-taken and I'm glad you got it sorted. FWIW, there is a subtle difference beyond the red and blue colors. The former is Signature Series Multi-Vehicle Synthetic ATF, while the latter is Signature Series Fuel-Efficient Synthetic ATF. Unfortunately, their branding ensures that details matter.

A curiosity for me, as the owner of both a GT500 and a C7Z, is the fact that Ford owners (I know) who run Amsoil usually go with Signature Series Multi-Vehicle Synthetic ATF for their TR-6060s, while Chevy owners (I know) who run Amsoil usually go with Torque-Drive Synthetic ATF for their TR-6060s and TR-6070s.

IllCobra

Established Member
Your point is well-taken and I'm glad you got it sorted. FWIW, there is a subtle difference beyond the red and blue colors. The former is Signature Series Multi-Vehicle Synthetic ATF, while the latter is Signature Series Fuel-Efficient Synthetic ATF. Unfortunately, their branding ensures that details matter.

A curiosity for me, as the owner of both a GT500 and a C7Z, is the fact that Ford owners (I know) who run Amsoil usually go with Signature Series Multi-Vehicle Synthetic ATF for their TR-6060s, while Chevy owners (I know) who run Amsoil usually go with Torque-Drive Synthetic ATF for their TR-6060s and TR-6070s.
Man, I wish we had an Amsoil person to tell us about all these oils.

Users who are viewing this thread