Changing octane rating on a SCT custom tune

Canson

Established Member
Hi guys,

I bought a 93 octane custom tune many years ago from Jon Lund. Car is stock.

And I plan doing a Europe trip with my car and I know there is not always 93 octane available.

Can I change the octane rating on my SCT or I have to buy new tune?

Otherwise last option is to go back to stock tune.

VNMOUS1

Established Member
Hi guys,

I bought a 93 octane custom tune many years ago from Jon Lund. Car is stock.

And I plan doing a Europe trip with my car and I know there is not always 93 octane available.

Can I change the octane rating on my SCT or I have to buy new tune?

Otherwise last option is to go back to stock tune.
Call your calibrator

Sent from my SM-N950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Canson

Established Member
Thanks guys for help, I will go back to stock tune. And install the custom tune again when I am back after my vacation

Snoopy49

Established Member
The stock tune is setup for 93 octane and will compensate for 91.
From the 2013 GT500 Owners Manual Supplement.

Horsepower on 93 octane fuel - 662 horsepower @ 6500 rpm
Torque on 93 octane fuel - 631 lb-ft torque @ 4000 rpm

OCTANE RECOMMENDATIONS

Premium unleaded gasoline with an (R+M)/2 octane rating of 91 or higher is required. SVT recommends using unleaded gasoline with octane rating of 93 or higher for optimal performance of this vehicle.
Recommended fuel is an important part of the proper maintenance and optimal performance of this vehicle. The use of gasoline with an octane rating lower than 91 can lead to severe mechanical damage to your vehicle, may degrade vehicle performance, and may affect your warranty coverage.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Not sure what year OP's car is, so he may not have knock sensors that can dial back timing.

Snoopy49

Established Member
Not sure what year OP's car is, so he may not have knock sensors that can dial back timing.

I didn't think about that. I did a little searching and found out he has a 2012, so he has the knock sensors.
I wish people would list the year model when they post, it would cut down on confusion.

From the 2012 GT500 Owners Manual Supplement.

OCTANE RECOMMENDATIONS

Your vehicle is designed to run on Premium fuel with an (R+M)/2 octane rating of 91 or higher. For best overall performance, SVT recommends using Premium fuel with an (R+M)/2 octane rating of 93 or higher where available. The performance gained by using higher octane fuel will be most noticeable in hot weather or in severe duty applications.

Recommended fuel is an important part of the proper maintenance and optimal performance of this vehicle. The use of gasoline with an (R+M)/2 octane rating lower than 91 can lead to severe mechanical damage to your vehicle, may degrade vehicle performance, and may affect your warranty coverage. Please see the Warranty Guide for complete
information.

SVT does not recommend the use of gasolines labeled as Premium with (R+M)/2 octane ratings less than 91.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
For sure 2011 up have knock sensors. I 've read that 2010 does and also that they don't, so that one is a little fuzzy. I've also read that the octane ratings in Europe are different and I believe have more octane for the stated value than what you'd find in the states. I'd do a little more research on that one.

Snoopy49

Established Member
Octane rating conversions

Octane rating conversions.jpg

Last edited:

Snoopy49

Established Member
Since the OP is in Sweden and I assume Sweden uses the RON octane rating specs, he shouldn't be using any fuel that is less than 96 RON octane (91 US ((R+M)/2) octane).

Last edited:

Canson

Established Member
I do have a 2012 Shelby GT500, sorry for not posting it in the beginning of this thread.

I always use 98 RON octane here in Sweden.

But since I plan to drive all the way to Turkey. I dont think I will find higher than 95 RON octane at most places.

So that's why I revert my tune just to stock.

Because my custom tune is only for 93 us octane which is 98 Ron octane in Europe.
If I use lower octane rating I actually don't know what can happen to my car.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Youll be fine on the stock tune with 95 RON.

As for the trip, that sounds like a great holiday. I know Europe is getting use to seeing 2015+ Mustang GTs... must be an absolute riot to see how they react to a GT500. :D

Canson

Established Member
It's gonna be amazing for sure.

The only thing I hate about the car is the gear whine from my 3.73 gears :)

So it will be annoying sometimes at highway , but I have installed sound deadening material alot off places on the car and changed front speakers to Infinity Kappa. I hope the road trip goes well as planned.

And I really hate these Shelby's don't have front and rear sensors or backup camera.
For me at least is not easy parking my car.
It's a big car in my opinion

VNMOUS1

Established Member
They do.
For sure 2011 up have knock sensors. I 've read that 2010 does and also that they don't, so that one is a little fuzzy. I've also read that the octane ratings in Europe are different and I believe have more octane for the stated value than what you'd find in the states. I'd do a little more research on that one.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread