Changing Hard Brake Line

meliskyc

Established Member
Has anyone on here ever changed or have a diagram of the hard brake lines for the rear? I was in the process of changing out the rubber lines for MM braided lines and whoever the previous owner of my car was, they messed up the fittings on the end of the left rear hard line pretty good to the point where it isn't useable anymore.

I'll probably have to end up cutting the line and replacing part of it but I wanted to know if anyone has done it before or have any tips? Maybe there is a junction point somewhere between the front and rear where I could disconnect and run a shorter, new line.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I haven't looked that far into my 04, but I'm pretty sure the hard line was one piece on my 01. I can't imagine the 04 being different. Why not cut off the bad fitting and put a new one on? Flaring isn't too hard really.

meliskyc

Established Member
I haven't looked that far into my 04, but I'm pretty sure the hard line was one piece on my 01. I can't imagine the 04 being different. Why not cut off the bad fitting and put a new one on? Flaring isn't too hard really.

I’m not sure if there would be enough room to just cut the fitting and reflare a new one at the end of the line. It’s already pretty cramped in there.

I was afraid that it was a 1 piece line but that’s what I was thinking.

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
Parts stores sell pre-flared lines in different lengths ( usually in 10-inch increments or so - all the way up to 70 inches ) that you can bend yourself. The fittings may not match yours but you can usually find adapters for that. They are extremely INexpensive. I recently paid under $15 for 2 lengths to replace the rear axle lines on my ‘66.

M91196

Established Member
FWIW The first time I did some brake line replacement work on a Ford with ABS around 1998(?) I learned that my traditional flaring tools were not the standard any more.

Bought a ISO metric bubble flare tool for that repair and used it a few times since.

meliskyc

Established Member
Got it all squared away, guys. I ended up picking up a compact flaring tool from Eastwood which allowed me to cut it right at the top and reflare it with a new nut. Nothing is ever as easy as you think it will be but my new MM stainless lines are now on along with my new 15” Welds. Thanks for all the input.

Users who are viewing this thread