Changing Differential DIY or Pay somebody?

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
How much are people paying to change the differential? I have pulled out the center chunk and brought it to a shop to just replace the stock differential with a T2R and they are saying 290 just for labor not including seals and bearings. That seems very high to me. Is it really a PIA or what as I am about to go get it and do it myself for that price. I had them completely disassemble and rebuild my T-56 for less then that.

Andy M

Established Member
I think I paid around $500 or so for Bumbera's in Houston to do the COMPLETE install for me. I did nothing except drop off the car and then pick it up when it was done.

I do not have the necessary skills, tools, or time so I decided to get this all done for me. I would suggest doing it yourself if you have the skill, tools and time. This way, if something breaks later on, you will have the knowlege to fix it yourself. Especially if it happens while you are at the track!

Just my opinion.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
500 for drop the car off and have it done would be easier for me to swallow as removing the differential was a PIA. The 00R is probably a little easier because of the exhaust, but I doubt much. Also it sounds like that included the seals and bearings.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
03 Cobra Toy said:
2.5 FLAT RATE HOURS @ $80 = $200 :shrug:

The thing is I brought it to Promotion in FLL to install because they are known for tranny work and they did my tranmission. I just found out they can't do it and are farming it out which is why it's 290. Promotion normally charges 190 to 200 for a stick axle which I feel is reasonable they don't know why it is going to cost 290. In addition to this will be tapping for my oil cooler which I haven't received the price yet.

MidLifeC

PCa Survivor
Established Member
Reider Racing charged me $150 for labor. I brought in a bare diff housing, FRPP gears, T2R, and misc. Ford bearings and seals. They charged me for an install kit and the shims. I had several other quotes of $250 for labor alone.

Someday, it will all be together. After I figure out what I am doing with the vent tube and the brand N Aluminum diff bushings.

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
in their defense, its a bunch of expensive specialty tools to set up a ring and pinion correctly and while the pinion probably doesnt have to come out, ya never know how a job goes, ya know what i mean?

im trying to say i wouldnt mind paying a little more to know they have the right tools and will do it without leaving teeth marks.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
I'd say about $175.00 labor charge is pretty much in line? Less parts. Anything more than $200.00 is a rip IMHO. It does take special tools and skill to do it properly.

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread