Changing all fluids over to Amsoil

bmorecobra

Off stacks
Established Member
Hey fellas,
I have been wanting to switch all my fluids over to Amsoil for a while now but finally have a good chance as all the fluids are out of the car right now for my build. It is a turbo 97 cobra with a built 8.8. I called Amsoil told them about my build and this is what they recommended me:

Engine: 5w20 signature series
Trans: (T56 from 03-04): Synthetic Multi-Vehicle Automatic Transmission Fluid OR Torque-Drive Synthetic Transmission Fluid (If I want some extra protection they said)
Rear Diff: Severe Gear 75W-140

Wanted to get some opinions on their suggestions, UnleashedBeast please chime in!! Thanks,
--Garrett

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Turbo modular, making a lot of power, and they recommended a 20 grade lubricant. Don't get me wrong, Amsoil ALM 5W-20 is a solid performer, but it isn't my first choice for your car. I'd upgrade to a bit more viscous lubricant for your application. I see that you live in Maryland, do you drive your car year round, or store it in the winter?

If you drive it in the winter, I'd suggest Amsoil AZO 0W-30 for year round performance.

If you do not drive it year round, storing the car during the winter months, I'd choose Amsoil ASL 5W-30 or ATM 10W-30.

Oil filter choice is Amsoil EaO11 and fluid type for the transmission is Amsoil Synthetic ATF. On paper, Torque Drive appears to have better cold flow performance. I've yet to test this in any Tremec manual transmission for a difference in feel on very cold mornings. This maybe something you could test out.

In the differential, Severe Gear 75W-140 is the best choice. If the differential has a clutch pack style setup, you will require friction modifier. Amsoil Slip Lock (only 1 bottle required). If you have a gear type differential, no friction modifier is required.

and please, never pay retail for Amsoil. Use the preferred customer program. Order direct using that link to save 25%.

Last edited:

bmorecobra

Off stacks
Established Member
Turbo modular, making a lot of power, and they recommended a 20 grade lubricant. Don't get me wrong, Amsoil ALM 5W-20 is a solid performer, but it isn't my first choice for your car. I'd upgrade to a bit more viscous lubricant for your application. I see that you live in Maryland, do you drive your car year round, or store it in the winter?

If you drive it in the winter, I'd suggest Amsoil AZO 0W-30 for year round performance.

If you do not drive it year round, storing the car during the winter months, I'd choose Amsoil ASL 5W-30 or ATM 10W-30.

Oil filter choice is Amsoil EaO11 and fluid type for the transmission is Amsoil Synthetic ATF. On paper, Torque Drive appears to have better cold flow performance. I've yet to test this in any Tremec manual transmission for a difference in feel on very cold mornings. This maybe something you could test out.

In the differential, Severe Gear 75W-140 is the best choice. If the differential has a clutch pack style setup, you will require friction modifier. Amsoil Slip Lock (only 1 bottle required). If you have a gear type differential, no friction modifier is required.

and please, never pay retail for Amsoil. Use the preferred customer program. Order direct using that link to save 25%.

Thanks for the input Beast!
I do drive the car year round but the car comes only comes out a few times out of those 4-5 months vs almost everyday during the summer time. Is there any disadvantages to using the 0w-30 signatures series oil in the warmer summer months in a turbo car? Automotive lubricants is something I need to learn more about. How does the 0 affect the vehicle vs say the 5 or 10 weight oil you suggested?

Diff is a Eaton Tru trac so I will pick up a bottle of slip-lock as well. As far as the trans fluid goes I think I may go ahead and try the torque drive, then give everybody some feedback on it.
Just joined the preferred customers program, cant wait to get this car amsoil'd!

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
In theory, 10W-30 will be the best choice for your turbo car due to higher shear resistance and lower NOACK volatility (evaporation/burn off) for the hottest summer months.

Since you use your car for both summer and winter, I'd compromise between both end choices and use Amsoil ASL 5W-30 as a middle compromise choice. If your car was N/A, I'd point you towards AZO 0W-30, but would prefer the little extra kick of HT/HS for your turbo application.

Last edited:

bmorecobra

Off stacks
Established Member
Awesome thanks again brotha. I'll be placing the order for some 5w30 sig series tonight.

Now what about the "ht/hs"? What is that? Also the 3 letters that follow the motor oil such as ASL or AZO, what does that denote? Just curious!

phen0m

mustang addict...
Established Member
Don't mean to hijack this thread, but I was wondering what your recommendation would be for me beast. I have been running SSO ow-30 (series 2000) in my kb 2.4 cobra 10 psi and see that they have changed their line up (unknowingly bought 4 gallons of AZO thinking it was SSO). Amsoil also recommended to me to run ALM. What should I be running now that they have all these new oil choices? Was easier when they just had SSO lol. Wisconsin summer car, rarely driven in the cold, no winter. Should I use the AZO or send it back to amsoil? Thanks!

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
You can safely use AZO with no problems, it's SSO with a different additive package. Changing to ALM 5W-20 is not a great idea for a high powered forced induction car, so ignore that. If you never drive your car in cold weather, either keep what you have or change to ASL or ATM.

10W-30 ATM - warm/hot weather formulation

5W-30 ASL - compromise between cold and hot weather formulation

AZO - colder climate formulation

phen0m

mustang addict...
Established Member
Awesome! I'll also use your recommendation for my 01 gt and 05 explorer (both 4.6 2v). They all got SSO in the past too and I'll start them on ASL after I run through the AZO I bought. Thanks Beast I really appriciate it.

03dsgdreams

Established Member
Unleashed I went with your advice on the AZO 0w30 in my stock Michigan daily driven 2012 gt. The weather here in Michigan has been hittting record highs, the humidity is off the charts and it has hit a 100 degrees almost every day this week. Will the 0w30 AZO be ok with a couple months of this heat?

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Unleashed I went with your advice on the AZO 0w30 in my stock Michigan daily driven 2012 gt. The weather here in Michigan has been hittting record highs, the humidity is off the charts and it has hit a 100 degrees almost every day this week. Will the 0w30 AZO be ok with a couple months of this heat?

Considering your car specs a less viscous fluid than AZO, you are perfectly fine. Odd that it's so hot up there. Is this normal for your area?

03dsgdreams

Established Member
Considering your car specs a less viscous fluid than AZO, you are perfectly fine. Odd that it's so hot up there. Is this normal for your area?

Thanks unleashed.This time of year it does get pretty hot but it is definitely above average right now. Mid to high 80s and humid is normal but between 98-102 is crazy hot for this area.

03mgtermi

Established Member
any comments about the Manual Syncromesh Trans Fluid or what makes the Multi-Vehicle ATF better? I have a 600rwhp whippled car....shifts pretty good with the syncromesh in it

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
ATF is a less viscous lubricant and will provide better cold start up performance than Synchromesh. Your transmission was originally designed for Dexron III (ATF), however....synchromesh has been an acceptable substitute.

03dsgdreams

Established Member
My girlfriend is from Michigan. She is flying up there next week for a vacation.

Should I tell her to dress light? lol

It's cooling down now. All last week was crazy hot, a cold front came in Saturday night and were back down in the 80s, humidity went down as well. Real nice Michigan summer weather this week, she came up at a good time.

Users who are viewing this thread