Changes are Coming

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I should have been clear; Leather was an example. What do you do for the customers who want a regular cab 3.5 ecoboost?

i mean for me I was looking at the F150 Tremor and being in FL I want heated and cooled/ventilated seats - gotta go with the highest luxury pack for 7-8k and get all the driving nannies etc... no thanks. It ends up the same price as a well optioned gen 2 raptor went for

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
i mean for me I was looking at the F150 Tremor and being in FL I want heated and cooled/ventilated seats - gotta go with the highest luxury pack for 7-8k and get all the driving nannies etc... no thanks. It ends up the same price as a well optioned gen 2 raptor went for

Who told you that?

1642000168831.png

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
maybe I just missed it. I remember being annoyed then looking at a lariat F150 and being able to get them without doing the high package and thinking wtf.

It's a standalone option with the center console.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
It's a standalone option with the center console.

1) I did not look for it in the standalone options, I was reading the luxury package descriptions

2) I just did a build and price - if you pick say a 401 mid, go down to the interior options and add the leather seats with console it removes mid and adds 402 high

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
I was just going to tell him that this is already happening. I fully expect that all of the manufacturers are going to go this route.

What is the up side for the customer outside the perception you are "custom ordering" your vehicle?
I've bought and owned well over 100 vehicles and I can't recall ever ordering one, though I've always gotten what I wanted. I've had cars dealer swapped or I just went and bought it at the dealer that had the car in stock.

When I sold cars, Honda, VW, Audi, Mercedes, I'd say less than 5% were ordered and those were usually specialty cars, S-Class, CL, SL. The overwhelming majority of sales were people who came in and bought a car. Consumers are impulsive and we live in the age of now where Amazon will deliver things the same day, etc.

The only upside I see is for the manufacturers.
A.They can produce less cars saving on wages and making more profit by offering less incentives.
B. They can phase out dealers and go to Tesla model further increasing their profits.

The consequences for the consumer is they will pay more and get less.
Example: I bought my 2016 XLT in Dec 2016. It listed for $53k I bought it for $40k and got 0%. The truck cost me $40k +ttl
Today's market that truck is $56k and I would pay msrp and 2.5% @60mo.
Today that truck would cost me $ 59k.
Is that truck worth $19k more? Not to me.

My 2019 Platinum's msrp was $69k and I paid $62k with 0%, so that truck cost me $62k +ttl. Today that truck is $75k+ttl @ 2.5% with $15k down at 60 mo that truck would cost me $79k. Is that truck worth an additional $17k. Not to me.

Normally every 2-3 years I'd get a new truck but I'm not going to pay and additional 27% for the privilege. I'll wait until I need a new truck in another 5 years or until things go back to normal. And I suspect so will a lot of other people.

I guess a plus for the dealers will be that people will be keeping their cars a lot longer so the service side will be booming.

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Why not just eliminate options and go with a Base, Sport and Luxury model.

Pick the color and that's it.

That's basically what Honda did 40 years ago. You could buy a DX, LX, EX, or EX-L. there were no options. I think they changed that though because people wanted options.

sonicx

Shredder N Cheddar
Established Member
Meanwhile consumer sentiment on autos is the lowest is has ever been. Pricing and lack of supply are going to come back and bite sales bigly.

View attachment 1734225
Can’t wait for this… I miss being “wanted” when I go into a dealership as well as the Saturday afternoon free cookout of soda, chips, dogs, and cookies while I parade the dealership.

I won’t miss the badgering of trying to buy my vehicle when it’s in for service though.

Fat Boss

Established Member
Today, yes.

When inventory becomes relevant...when production stops being 100% retail orders...it's not a moot point.

In fact, it's infuriating for the manufacturer to tell me how many vehicles I can get, regardless of how many I pay for...AND now to tell me what options I can order on them.

JFC, it's like you're ordering Trabants from the old Soviet Union.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
LMAO. True. Comrade dis is what you are going to get.

It's really a perfect storm for up and coming auto makers.

Whenever some (idiot) closes a door (Ford), that opens an opportunity for someone else to capitalize on a market that consumers demand.

It'll take some time, but this move that Ford and others are making is not a long-term strategy for any auto maker that wants to be successful, that's a fact Jack.

mariusvt

Established Member
All manufacturers are going to this program.

When it gets stamped out, it won't be 2-3 months wait...it'll be 1.

There are A LOT of people that will wait 1 month to get the exact car they want and not settle.
How will this work on trades, I would think smart people are going to order based on an agreed value of any trade and such to know the total cost and what they'd need to bring at pickup. But from the dealer side, a lot can happen to a trade in a month.

Users who are viewing this thread