Changes are Coming

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Noticing the high volume dealers in Cali have reduced sales force in 1/2. Makes sense if there is nothing to sell. Service department look overwhelmed. Not enough techs to keep up with demand. Ford called me to schedule an air bag inspection. The new replacement maybe faulty too. They offered mobile service or if i brought it in a free oil change.
The chaff has been sifted for close to 2 years now. The contrasts are stark. Local small town Chevy dealer has had close to a bare lot for over a year. Independent used car dealer never flinched at the auction prices and kept a huge lot filled with inventory the entire time. The independent did go to a 5 day work week (closed sun, mon) to keep its workers. They have had a help wanted sign out for over 2 years. Common problem in auto sales land.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Noticing the high volume dealers in Cali have reduced sales force in 1/2. Makes sense if there is nothing to sell. Service department look overwhelmed. Not enough techs to keep up with demand. Ford called me to schedule an air bag inspection. The new replacement maybe faulty too. They offered mobile service or if i brought it in a free oil change.

Oh, and the high-volume guys fired the high turnover lot rats, if you have no inventory, the high timers take all the order sales.

OX1

Established Member
I may be the exception, but I have never bought a new vehicle right off the lot. Never. I go to see and touch, and compare vehicle models. I want specific colors. I want specific features. I've never had a case where the vehicle I wanted was there on a lot. After I look at models, colors and features, then I special order. I spec'd out my 2022 after seeing two on my Genesis dealer's lot (not my colors) and was told I should have it in about 3 weeks. I had zero issue with waiting 3-4 weeks to get the exact model I wanted, in the exact color I wanted, and with the exact packages I wanted.

You really get 6-7 grand off a $33-35K car when you order it? No one would give me that deal, only for the one's on the lot.

sonicx

Shredder N Cheddar
Established Member
You really get 6-7 grand off a $33-35K car when you order it? No one would give me that deal, only for the one's on the lot.
I believe if we’re headed down this path, these types of “deals” will be an exception not the norm. Sorta like buying a new gt500. Most are charging a ADM but if you’re a sluth and quick, there’s been people whom had bought at msrp.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Oh, and the high-volume guys fired the high turnover lot rats, if you have no inventory, the high timers take all the order sales.
Its funny how the car maxx dealership are fully loaded lots. How things have turned in the dealerships.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I think you quoted the wrong person. LOL. My post that you quoted says nothing about getting anything off a $33-$35K car.
?????

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I drove by my local Chevy dealership yesterday, and I saw about 3 new cars on their huge lots. 95% of their new stock were trucks. A lot of used vehicles mixed in.

I also drove by my wife's Acura dealership and only saw 4 new cars.

Went to my Genesis/Hyundai dealership and saw mainly used cars. Perhaps a dozen new cars/SUVs.

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Haven't bought off a lot since 1989.
Also amazed that people will spend weeks / months looking all over the country, for that perfect vehicle.
When an order could be delivered in less time.
Ordered 2011 GT500 - delivered in 47 days.
Ordered 2014 GT500 - delivered in 112 days.
Ordered 2017 F150 - delivered in 79 days..

JJackson515

Established Member
Whats stopping me from buying whatever you tell me to, and setting up shop across the street? we have a guy we tune for that does this locally and has vehicles fly off his lot for "crazy" mark ups

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Whats stopping me from buying whatever you tell me to, and setting up shop across the street? we have a guy we tune for that does this locally and has vehicles fly off his lot for "crazy" mark ups
Only issue is you'd have to pay the sales tax.

Sent from my Potato

smitty2919

Established Member
GM did this early 2021. I couldn't order a Sierra 2500HD. They were only accepting orders for AT4 and Denali.

Luckily we found what we wanted in April '21 with a March '21 build date.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
At my local dealer the vehicles on the lot are all MSRP or higher but you’ll get rebates when they are available.
But if you order and wait they’ll do under MSRP or invoice and you’ll get rebates when the vehicle comes in. I was specifically looking at Mach 1, Explorer ST/Limited and Pacifica Hybrids. He said he didn’t even need a deposit unless it made me more comfortable because they’ll sell whatever comes in anyway.
As long as you don’t need it right away, I think many will tolerate ordering and waiting in the short term.
Hopefully we can get back to normal sooner than later. It’ll be interesting to see what the new normal becomes.
-J

stvdman

Established Member
Went to my Genesis/Hyundai dealership and saw mainly used cars. Perhaps a dozen new cars/SUVs.
Me and my wife went in to look at at new GV70 last weekend...they had ONE....ONE, and it was entry model with no options. Asked about ordering and they said 3-4 months.
Terribly difficult to buy cars right now.

Users who are viewing this thread